Groupie
United States
Joined 4695 days ago

72 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 41 of 51
04 November 2011 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
Committing to a consistent sleep schedule has definitely improved my retention. Try it.
4 persons have voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 42 of 51
04 November 2011 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Here's a good article on neuro-enhancers: BRAIN GAIN: The underground world of “neuroenhancing” drugs.

But you still need to sleep.
1 person has voted this message useful

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5618 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 43 of 51
04 November 2011 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
A fascinating topic all round.

After reading some of the initial posts, does anyone reckon that using Smart drugs are
not totally uncommon in acquiring PhDs? (sounds like a silly question I know, but the
possibility at least seems real)

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5218 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 44 of 51
04 November 2011 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:
Here's a good article on neuro-enhancers: BRAIN GAIN: The underground world of “neuroenhancing” drugs.

I don't know why they call it an article about neuro-enhancing drugs when it only talks about adderall. Relying on strong stimulants is not a good thing at all, can really mess with your health.

Interesting article though.

"Racetam" type drugs such as piracetam act in a very different way from conventional amphetamine based stimulants, indeed stimulants in general; and can even be taken before bed, or at least piracetam certainly can though perhaps some of its analogues might disturb sleep mildly.

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4759 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 45 of 51
04 November 2011 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
espejismo wrote:
Here's a good article on neuro-enhancers:
BRAIN GAIN: The
underground world of “neuroenhancing” drugs.

I don't know why they call it an article about neuro-enhancing drugs when it only talks
about adderall. Relying on strong stimulants is not a good thing at all, can really
mess with your health.

Interesting article though.

"Racetam" type drugs such as piracetam act in a very different way from conventional
amphetamine based stimulants, indeed stimulants in general; and can even be taken
before bed, or at least piracetam certainly can though perhaps some of its analogues
might disturb sleep mildly.

I have to agree with that about stimulants, I tried a full course of caffeine tablets
once when I was dieting, most people know them as thermogenics and they made my mind
awful, not being able to sleep, racing thoughts and forgetting very simple things I had
learnt. Needless to say I'm still recovering from that now.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5218 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 46 of 51
04 November 2011 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
NickJS wrote:

I have to agree with that about stimulants, I tried a full course of caffeine tablets
once when I was dieting, most people know them as thermogenics and they made my mind
awful, not being able to sleep, racing thoughts and forgetting very simple things I had

Ouch, sounds like that must have been nasty mate. Did the ill effects of excessive caffeine intake last quite a bit after you stopped taking the tablets then? Sort of makes you wonder what the long-term effect might be for people who drink a lot of energy drinks.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6237 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 47 of 51
04 November 2011 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
NickJS wrote:

Ouch, sounds like that must have been nasty mate. Did the ill effects of excessive caffeine intake last quite a bit after you stopped taking the tablets then? Sort of makes you wonder what the long-term effect might be for people who drink a lot of energy drinks.

I know a guy who says he has burnt out his caffeine receptors. He says despite not having had caffeine for years, he no longer feels anything when he does, even from energy drinks.

Now me, on the other hand, I barely ever drink caffeine, have no tolerance, and seriously half a can of pepsi will get me wired!

thecatat
Thailand
Joined 5751 days ago

26 posts - 40 votes

Message 48 of 51
10 December 2011 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
A timely subject. I've just started researching smart drugs (NOT speed) and language learning so if anyone else has personal experiences to share...

For myself, I started taking Piracetam 9 days ago. So far, I've noticed an increase in concentration and short term memory. The real changes aren't supposed to come about until day 14 so I'm chuffed at the early results.

Btw - I'm a longtime insomniac, battling all that entails (sadly, insomnia and language learning are at odds with each other). A real improvement in memory and concentration is my aim.

Note: This is the best entry level post I've come across on nootropics: http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/36691-ten-months-of-res earch-condensed-a-total-newbies-guide-to-nootropics/

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version