United States
Joined 5504 days ago

416 posts - 429 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Romanian

Message 41 of 81
31 July 2009 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
healing332 wrote:
I see you are "trying" to study Spanish..having a little difficulty?

Dude, don't be rude, I see you are currently not studying anything according to your profile. For all you know he's fluent in it and hasn't updated it yet.

Furthermore, you got to be careful saying "That's how I learn so well a new language". Lets be honest here. You got to a conversational level in 5 months. Impressive, yes. But you didn't keep it up and it is now rusty. OK. So now you're learning Swedish and seeing if what worked for you a couple years ago with Spanish will work for you now. Hasn't been 5 months yet, so its hard to know. You can't really extol the virtues of your specific combo of ways and completely discount the methods of some linguists just because it goes against what you used to learn Spanish to a passable level a few years ago.

Personally, I could never do the whole "no output" thing for very long because it's so natural for me to try writing in my target lang. But who knows, I'm not currently completely fluent in either of my langs. and people who have used Krashen's technique are. So perhaps I am wrong not to try it. You are also not currently fluent in any of your studied language. So maybe Krashen has some good points. I don't know.

I am just so confused as to why you make these broad statement posts when it would be so much less combative, more facilitative and a better use of the wide range of experetise on this forum to just make a Stephen Krashen post and include the articles you have found that contradict him and ask what everyone thinks and maybe include some points as to why you think he might be wrong. Might even bring about some discussion from two actual polyglots who have differing views on the whole "all input, no output" idea.

Edited by Ashley_Victrola on 31 July 2009 at 11:01pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6516 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 42 of 81
01 August 2009 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Ashley_Victrola wrote:
it would be so much less combative, more facilitative and a better use of the wide range of experetise on this forum to just make a Stephen Krashen post and include the articles you have found that contradict him and ask what everyone thinks and maybe include some points as to why you think he might be wrong. Might even bring about some discussion from two actual polyglots who have differing views on the whole "all input, no output" idea.

I'd love to read this!

I think it comes down the individual and their learning style. [Disclaimer: I don't have a degree in learning styles - I just have an interest in them and these are only my personal opinions, so I would love to hear more from others aswell]

I would imagine that people who are visual learners would probably learn better through reading & watching DVDs/TV, people who are kinesthetic learners - perhaps writing?? (or using the language in some manner), auditory - listening to music/speaking etc... so therefore, different approaches will suit different people.

Anyway, the way I see it, there have been people who have succeeded using a variety of methods. Neither way was wrong. There's more than one way to learn a language. In saying that, all of the same things would need to be covered (listening, speaking, writing, reading, grammar, etc) - but I imagine there are so many different combinations and approaches out there.

Is it possible that this is just another way to approach language learning for a certain type of learner, or do you feel (& can you prove with documentation/studies) that there in fact are 'flaws' in the method? If people have succeeded using Krashen's approach, then I have trouble to understand how it can be so 'wrong'...

Perhaps you could pinpoint the exact 'flaws' you see with the approach (with evidence) and it could spark one of our more experienced language learners to respond?

Edited by Katie on 01 August 2009 at 2:36am

1 person has voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6245 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 43 of 81
01 August 2009 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
turaisiawase wrote:
I don't understand what 'passive' means.
99% of native speakers of any language can't understand poetry written in their own language, because it requires reading between the lines and THINKING! People would rather die than think. That's what I call 'passive'.

That's a very good point. Then again, most native speakers of German know the gender of most nouns and can effortlessly flex their native grammar muscle. A non-native language learner can score at C2 level in comprehension but then fail somewhere else.

Some language learners may appear to have good active skills but what comes out is garbage. As long as he can make himself understood - he'll likely impress others more than a silent guy shooting one-liners.

If impressing others (or simple communication within a reasonable time frame) is important, then obviously one should try speaking very early.

I believe you understand what passive vs active means but you want to make a point and we're supposed to again read between the lines.

Edited by reineke on 01 August 2009 at 10:00am

Ashley_Victrola
United States
Joined 5504 days ago

416 posts - 429 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Romanian

Message 45 of 81
01 August 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
Some language learners may appear to have good active skills but what comes out is garbage. As long as he can make himself understood - he'll likely impress others more than a silent guy shooting one-liners.

Yeah, that's true. I think people are more impressed that someone can rattle off the latest French argot than that I can read literature in it. I am always putting out written output in my target langs. but often not verbal so while I know what to say, it's difficult to say it quickly. So even though I understand a lot, it's been taking...me...forever to speak because I don't do it often. Otherwise it comes out too fast. In a weird way I don't mind it though because at least I know the info's there. If I had to, I could talk and I'd probably pick up speed through daily practice. Definitely doesn't fall under zero output but definitely falls under the "wait until you know exactly what you're saying to say it" umbrella.

LiquidTester
Diglot
United States
Joined 5588 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Czech

Message 46 of 81
01 August 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
healing332 wrote:
that why I learn so well a new language

You may claim to learn quickly, but you haven't even learned English well. A Chinese woman screaming at you in a thick accent "Tea Wanta?" is perfectly understandable. Yet, some of us may have higher aspirations.
2 persons have voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6245 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 47 of 81
01 August 2009 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
turaisiawase wrote:
reineke wrote:
   and we're supposed to again read between the lines.

You're supposed not to bore people to death.
I don't read long posts. On principle. Unless it's something by Mr Iversen.

You should start collecting my one-liners. You'll get quite an anthology.

I can thankfully distinguish your pearls of wisdom from the stuff you like to plagiarize. Considering some recent information you were kind enough to provide, your own (very substantial) posts from more than a year ago should read "why walk when you can crawl".

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version