Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Latin and the Romance language Family

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: How important is Latin for mastery of the Romance Language family?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [9.77%]
11 [8.27%]
41 [30.83%]
23 [17.29%]
45 [33.83%]
You can not vote in this poll

36 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5910 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 1 of 36
20 September 2009 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Historically, a knowledge of Latin has been considered very important for mastery of the Romance Language family. However, I think many people who are interested in this family no longer feel it important and see their time better spent learning another modern language in the family versus learning Latin. Personally, I am more interested in learning Latin as a companion to Koine Greek as these two are parallel languages, the languages of the Roman Empire. As an aid to mastery of the Romance family, I don't necessarily see it as critical (I voted "Somewhat Important" in the poll).
What are your thoughts?
(Admin-I tried to get this in the "Specific Languages" section of the forum but I could not figure out how to do a poll there--please move if appropriate).

1 person has voted this message useful

rggg
Heptaglot
Mexico
Joined 6113 days ago

373 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Malay
Studies: Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, Swedish

Message 2 of 36
20 September 2009 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
It says: You can not vote in this poll.

Why?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 36
20 September 2009 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
I have moved the poll as requested.

I think that knowledge of Latin is nice to have when you already know several Romance languages fairly well because Latin can explain many of their features. It is worth learning for its own sake, but learning Latin won't help you much to learn any modern Romance language, - certainly not to the extent that it can justify the time spent. Learning another modern Romance language would be more relevant in that respect.

---

EDIT I just saw rggg's post above. Because it may be a result of moving the poll I now move it back where it came from. Then please try again

Edited by Iversen on 20 September 2009 at 11:13pm

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5554 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 4 of 36
20 September 2009 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
I also voted "somewhat important" in the poll. As JW has already said, a knowledge of Latin has traditionally been deemed necessary in order to master the Romance languages. However, I am of the opinion that we should only learn the Latin language because we are interested in Latin for what it is in itself, and not because it is supposed to be nice shortcut to learning the other Romance languages. As a potential parallel thought, would any of you consider learning Old Church Slavonic before learning Russian or Ukrainian, for example? I imagine not, somehow - I love Russian, and I wouldn't even consider this. I chose to learn Latin for a number of reasons, but none of them were because I thought that it would make French or Italian any easier for me. The most notable of those reasons were because I love the Latin language itself, for its sounds, its morphology (of all things) and because, like JW, I think of it as a partner to Ancient Greek, which I intend to learn thoroughly one day. I learned French for five years in school (and so very ineffectively) before I even attempted to learn any Latin at all through the wonderful Lingua Latina per se illustrata. I found that my knowledge of English has actually helped more with my French through cognates than the Latin has. In terms of whether Latin itself is important with regards to the other languages resulting from it, for example French, I think its importance is overrated. As a side note, is there a specific term for this? The parent language is Latin... is there a term for a language resulting from it? Thanks.

Jack
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5554 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 36
20 September 2009 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
As a potential parallel thought, would any of you consider learning Old Church Slavonic before learning Russian or Ukrainian, for example?

Definitely yes, or rather: At the same time.
But then again my main objective is comprehension, not communication.

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5554 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 6 of 36
20 September 2009 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
But then again my main objective is comprehension, not communication

In this case, Bao, I can see why you would do that. However, I don't believe in learning a parent language in order to quicken my pace when learning the languages which stem from it. If you want to learn French, I would say that you don't go and learn Latin first; you jump the gun and learn French right from the start. Any other route, unless you're aiming mainly for comprehension as you say you would, would be a waste of time. Would you truly learn a parent language solely to help with comprehension? I believe that you would at least have some interest in the parent language for what it is in itself, and therefore would not just be using it as a tool to advance your learning quicker.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 36
20 September 2009 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
I also voted "somewhat important", but I haven't spent any decent time on it (just a couple of conscious hours in my whole life). However, I have plenty of material which I will have a closer look at the day I "finish" some of my current languages.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5554 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 8 of 36
21 September 2009 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
Bao wrote:
But then again my main objective is comprehension, not communication

In this case, Bao, I can see why you would do that. However, I don't believe in learning a parent language in order to quicken my pace when learning the languages which stem from it. If you want to learn French, I would say that you don't go and learn Latin first; you jump the gun and learn French right from the start. Any other route, unless you're aiming mainly for comprehension as you say you would, would be a waste of time. Would you truly learn a parent language solely to help with comprehension? I believe that you would at least have some interest in the parent language for what it is in itself, and therefore would not just be using it as a tool to advance your learning quicker.

It only makes sense when you want to learn more of the languages of a family anyways, and when you want to understand century- or millenia-old sources as well.
When I mentioned my objective of comprehension I did mean global comprehension. And for somebody who doesn't have an immediate interest in the 'parent language' it would be mindbogglingly stupid to learn it first in order to learn a language of real interest afterwards.

Basically I chose to learn Latin in school because I had a interest in it as well as in the Romance language family in general and Spanish in particular (which wasn't an option), and because I thought that it would be easier to learn it as an interested teenager rather than later in life.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version