Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Speed Reading for faster learning?

Tags: Reading
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
49 messages over 7 pages: 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>
Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5805 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 49
01 October 2009 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
JasonChoi wrote:
Often it is assumed that speed reading is ineffective for language learning, but theoretically, speed reading activates the right side of the brain, which can absorb far more information than the left brain (which is what we typically use to learn languages).

Even if that's true, there's still a serious problem that this doesn't account for in language learning.

We read by applying our knowledge of a language, and reading speed increases as we learn to skip redundant information. We ignore some words presume they're there based on experience and expectation.

Our expectations from the native language don't map into the target language -- a slavic speaker would naturally ignore articles for example.

Once you're a fluent speaker you'll have the appropriate experience and expectations so there's no reason not to do speed reading then....
2 persons have voted this message useful

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6153 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 10 of 49
01 October 2009 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Even if that's true, there's still a serious problem that this doesn't account for in language learning.

We read by applying our knowledge of a language, and reading speed increases as we learn to skip redundant information. We ignore some words presume they're there based on experience and expectation.

Our expectations from the native language don't map into the target language -- a slavic speaker would naturally ignore articles for example.

Once you're a fluent speaker you'll have the appropriate experience and expectations so there's no reason not to do speed reading then....

I don't think I disagree with you, but some of your statements presume a more conscious method of learning. Speed reading involves the use of the unconscious parts of the brain (of course I can't prove any of this, nor do I intend to), but I am thinking that perhaps the mind can absorb information without consciously paying attention to all the bits of grammar. I'm thinking that merely repeated exposure would be enough, much like the way babies absorb their native language without consciously paying attention to grammar.

I plan to experiment with this to see whether or not it holds any water.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5805 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 11 of 49
01 October 2009 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
JasonChoi wrote:
I don't think I disagree with you, but some of your statements presume a more conscious method of learning. Speed reading involves the use of the unconscious parts of the brain

All fluent reading involves automatic thought (ie no conscious command of the process) -- speed reading is not unique in this regard.

Quote:
but I am thinking that perhaps the mind can absorb information without consciously paying attention to all the bits of grammar.

Which is actually precisely the problem. You read and match the written form to your understanding of the language. People who read aloud consciously will meticulously pick out and read out every word, but in a stilted manner. On the other hand, someone who reads a foreign language out loud fluently (ie flowingly) will actually read out words that aren't there. I had a student who always messed up his prepositions when reading aloud -- rather than saying what was on the page, he consistently used the same preposition that he would have used if he'd made the sentence up himself.

The errors arose from not reading consciously.

Quote:
I'm thinking that merely repeated exposure would be enough, much like the way babies absorb their native language without consciously paying attention to grammar.

Two problems:

There's one big indisputable difference between babies and adult learners: babies have no preconceptions of language ("language acquisition device" and "universal grammar" excepted) whereas adults make assumptions based on their native language.

Also, written language is a very different beast from spoken language, and kids learn from spoken language.

Lingua
Decaglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

186 posts - 319 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 12 of 49
01 October 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 

Edited by Lingua on 01 October 2009 at 6:43pm

Lingua
Decaglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

186 posts - 319 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 13 of 49
01 October 2009 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

There's one big indisputable difference between babies and adult learners: babies have no preconceptions of language ("language acquisition device" and "universal grammar" excepted) whereas adults make assumptions based on their native language.

It does not logically follow from this that adults cannot acquire language based on input in the way a child does. That there is a difference doesn't prove that it makes a difference.

Language learners make assumptions based on their native language when they have not had enough exposure to the target language to acquire the right "assumptions" regarding the target language.

Whether or not adults are able to acquire language from comprehensible input is an empirical question that can only be answered by evidence, not speculation. My experience and observations of language learning have shown me that it is possible.

Edited by Lingua on 01 October 2009 at 6:52pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5780 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 14 of 49
01 October 2009 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
There's an important distinction between reading fast and "skimming", where one ignores most of the content and just tries to grab an impression.

One of the biggest gains in speedreading comes from training yourself not to re-read the same passage over again. If you pay close attention when you're reading, you'll notice that your eyes will commonly go backwards up the page to older things. This slows you down tremendously, but is difficult to unlearn. You can train yourself by reading with a bookmark or piece of paper covering the part you've already read, and paying close attention to getting all of the information the first time.

The next big boost to speed comes from not pronouncing any words in your head. If you hear a mental voice saying all of the words, then you're limited to a speed that allows those mental words to be 'heard'. When you stop hearing them, then you can absorb the meanings of the words and progress faster.

Then you can practice reducing the number of eye movements required to read a certain line. Normally, people need 5 or 6 "looks" at different parts of a line in order to read it, but with a specially-prepared text you can make big spaces in each line so that you are trained to make only 3 looks, then 2, then 1.

With these, and other techniques, you can greatly increase your reading speed without losing any comprehension. They are not about "skimming". The problem when trying to apply these to learning a foreign language, is that i don't think they'll help unless you already have a very firm grasp of the language and you just want to increase your vocabulary.

As an intermediate German learner, i WANT to pronounce the words in my head for practice, and i want to read each sentence multiple times to make sure i understand all the relevant grammar points and vocab words. Maybe once i'm down to only 3 or 4 words per page that i don't know, then i'll start practicing speed-reading techniques in order to get more exposure to the rarer words.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5788 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 15 of 49
01 October 2009 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
Truth

This is everything that I wanted to say, and everything that needs to be said.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5805 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 16 of 49
01 October 2009 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Lingua wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

It does not logically follow from this that adults cannot acquire language based on input in the way a child does.

Yes it does. It follows that an adult cannot learn in the way a child does.

If you were to say simply "It does not logically follow from this that adults cannot acquire language based on input" then you would be right, but it is trivially provable that adults learn in a different way from children. Just say "ola" to a beginning Spanish student at the start of every class and they will know it's a greeting and say it back to you without hesitation by the second or third class. Adults can (and do) mimic language far better, to the point of being able to mimic entire sentences. In fact, adults can start with fixed phrases and idioms, while children naturally start with ungrammatical streams of words.

Really, I'm not against people arguing in support of learning by input, but "like a child" is demonstrably false and seems to me to be a very lazy way to convince the uninformed of the efficacy of a particular methodology.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version