Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Speed Reading for faster learning?

Tags: Reading
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
49 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>
Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 33 of 49
03 October 2009 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
Lingua wrote:
The "same way" refers to the exposure to comprehensible input, the hearing/reading language that the child/language learner understands. I'm not overly concerned with whatever brain internal processes may be at work, and I don't think most language learners are either.

I'm sorry, but if you are not interested in the internal processes then you are not interested in whether they are genuinely the same.
Quote:
Again, you're more interested in quibbling than gaining insight into language learning.

No, I'm definitely interested in gaining insight into language learning, and that involves discussing the issue. You are merely redefining your premises until they fit your conclusion.

Incidentally, that children learn from "comprehensible input" is not proven. There are many cultures in the world where parents do not engage in tuned "baby talk", and in fact adults do not talk to their children until the children themselves start to talk, yet the children do learn to talk. As someone was saying earlier, if we don't know or can't agree on how children learn, how can we copy it?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 34 of 49
03 October 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
Phexx wrote:
or the child did not learn effortless.

Children don't learn effortlessly -- they suffer frustration and take temper tantrums because they can't say what they want to say. It's not a painless process.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Lingua
Decaglot
United States
Joined 5371 days ago

186 posts - 319 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 35 of 49
03 October 2009 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

No, I'm definitely interested in gaining insight into language learning, ...

Good luck with that.

Cainntear wrote:

... and that involves discussing the issue.

I'm not interested in discussing this issue further with you. You've obviously made up your mind that I'm wrong, and it's also obvious that nothing is going to change your mind. I've been studying language learning for over two decades, I've read hundreds of studies on second language acquisition, I've learned several languages to an advanced or near-native level, I've observed hundreds of language learners, and I have very successfully taught many people to speak a language. I've thought about language learning almost every day for the last twenty years. It has been an obsession, and there is nothing that I've wanted more to understand. I find it implausible that you know more about language learning than I do, you have not helped me to gain further insight into language learning, and you are not going to learn anything from me, so further discussion is futile. This is my last post.

11 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 36 of 49
03 October 2009 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Lingua wrote:
You've obviously made up your mind that I'm wrong,

No -- I'd say that it's you that's made up your mind. I have firm beliefs and when people genuinely challenge them, they change. You haven't tried to convince me, you've just told me that I'm wrong and that you know better.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 37 of 49
03 October 2009 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Rather, you two talked past each other until Lingua lost her patience. She's not the first to do so, and I don't blame her in the slightest.

12 persons have voted this message useful

Ajijic10
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 6710 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 38 of 49
03 October 2009 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Rather, you two talked past each other until Lingua lost her patience. She's not the first to do so, and I don't blame her in the slightest.

I totally agree. It would truly be a shame if we lose a poster as qualified as Lingua due to the obstinacy and pettiness of a single poster. I hope she chooses to ignore him (I usually do) and keep contributing to the forum.
5 persons have voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 39 of 49
03 October 2009 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Take it easy everyone, we're all here for the same reason :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

simonov
Portugal
Joined 5384 days ago

222 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 40 of 49
03 October 2009 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Ajijic10 wrote:

I totally agree. It would truly be a shame if we lose a poster as qualified as Lingua due to the obstinacy and pettiness of a single poster. I hope she chooses to ignore him (I usually do) and keep contributing to the forum.

I too agree. And also chose to ignore him, as my posts get deleted if I do not.
What really bugs me is that it seems I voted for Cainntears last message. By mistake, how could I? I could not believe my eyes when it said: "You have already voted for this post". I was not even drunk when I voted, I never drink during the day. There is no way to un-vote I suppose?

datsunking1 wrote:
Take it easy everyone, we're all here for the same reason :)

Yes, to learn languages or help others learn, not to dissect and find fault with everything other people say. Most methods, textbooks, teachers, Krashen, Birkenbihl, they all come in for heavy criticism. That is allright, they are not actual members of this forum. Criticizing members is called flaming and therefore taboo. I wonder why, if they deserve it?

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version