Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Doviende’s German log (TAC2010 - Team J)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
52 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>
doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5783 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 1 of 52
03 October 2009 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Since I'm trying hard to stick to German for the next several months, i guess it might help to publish some goals here. I have 4 categories that i keep track of. TV, Listening, Reading, and new Anki cards created. For the month of October, my goals are:
TV: 70 hours
Listening: 60 hours
Reading: 150000 words (estimated)
Anki cards: 600 new cards created.

Up until today, i've probably watched a total of 150+ hours of German TV, i have 1041 German Anki cards total, and i've read about 425000 words of German. Overall I'm aiming at getting 500hrs of TV and Listening, and over 1000000 words read, and also 3000 Anki cards. If i can get to each of those goals, then I'll consider my first stage of German study to be done, and i can move on to starting another language if i choose. I'm hoping this stage can be completed by january 2010.

Right now I'm working my way through Star Trek: Deep Space 9 (dubbed in German), and I'm reading both Harry Potter #3 ("Harry Potter und der Gefangene von Askaban"), and The Hobbit ("Der Kleine Hobbit"). I have the audiobook for Harry Potter, so i'm trying the L-R method of listening while i read.

And with that, i shall begin my october tv watching with DS9 season 6 episode 17 :)

Edited by doviende on 22 December 2009 at 2:20am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6233 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 52
03 October 2009 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
I see you only use translated materials so far. Are you planning on using any material produced in German?

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5644 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 52
03 October 2009 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Doviende, how can you watch German TV in Canada? Or are there very good internet resources with German live TV? Good luck with your learning project!

You have called your log "October goals". This would mean that for november you create another log "November goals" so that for one year's study you will have created 12 (!!!) logs. As a moderator I would advise you not to do this, but to give your log a name, which is not limited to one month, so that you are free to continue posting in the same log after one month. Of course you can present new goals for other months in the same log!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 03 October 2009 at 10:13am

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5791 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 4 of 52
03 October 2009 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
Doviende,

Good luck with this, I'll be following your progress with interest. I'll also probably steal a few ideas off of you to improve the way I approach German...cos really I need all the help I can get.

EL

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5783 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 

Message 5 of 52
03 October 2009 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon: yes, i've mostly used translated materials so far, which was because i wanted to start out with things that were very familiar, and that i was motivated to watch or read. I know all the characters in star trek: ds9, so i thought it would be quite easy to guess the things they were saying when i watched it in German. At the start of my German project, i understood almost nothing that was said in the TV episodes, so having something familiar was quite necessary.

Fasulye: I ordered all my German TV as DVDs from amazon.de. Also, thanks for pointing out my error with the title of this. Yes, "October goals" will not last long. I'll remember to name it something appropriate like "my German log" when i post again.

UPDATE: ahh, i see i can edit the name of the thread by editing the first post. welcome to "Doviende's German log" :)

Edited by doviende on 03 October 2009 at 6:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5644 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 52
03 October 2009 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Doviende, now your logname is more appropriate, thanks for changing it! So you watch German TV on DVDs, that's a good medium, if you live so far away from Europe. Always interesting to know, which language resources people use. Fasulye

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5783 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 

Message 7 of 52
05 October 2009 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
I spent a bunch of time yesterday adding some cards to Anki. I found a site called German-flashcards.com that had a lot of interesting example sentences, so i went through and found a bunch of them that interested me and had some new vocabulary in them. I'm planning to spend some time using my German thematic vocabulary book to learn some new words later this week.

I've also watched 2 episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 (dubbed in German). I'm almost done season 6 now. Just one more season left, and then i'll have to switch to another show. I have a sub-goal to finish this season before thursday, since i've been neglecting TV too much lately.

This week i've done a few hours of L-R using Harry Potter und der Gefangene von Askaban. I'm about half-way through the book. I also spent some time pulling sentences from there that are examples for some new vocab words.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5783 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 

Message 8 of 52
11 October 2009 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Finished Deep Space 9, season 6. I'm several episodes into season 7 now. I haven't been doing too much reading or flashcards lately, since my week has been quite busy. I just read on the train to and from work, and maybe a little in the evening. This coming week i'm hoping to get a lot done though, since i have some nice quiet night shifts at work.

This week my goal is to finish reading Harry Potter und der Gefangene von Askaban, and also finish DS9 season 7.

current status: 454000 words read, 1131 anki cards, and 289hrs of TV + Listening

Edited by doviende on 11 October 2009 at 2:36am

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version