Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Doviende’s German log (TAC2010 - Team J)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
52 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5784 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 49 of 52
01 January 2011 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Wow, it's been a long time since I updated this, but I figured I should do a year-end summary.

Currently I'm at an Esperanto event for new year's, but I've had a lot of German practice here too. Although I've made big improvements in my Esperanto abilities lately, I still tend to fall back to German for more complicated discussions. For instance, I had a very satisfying conversation the other day about the merits of the board game "Go", and about the various strategies involved in play. It was way beyond my level in Esperanto, but it felt pretty comfortable to do it in German, despite making some mistakes.

Overall, I'd say that my spoken German has progressed a lot in the past few months since I settled down in Berlin. I haven't made any huge efforts to improve it, but it seems that merely trying to speak briefly a couple of times per week has had a drastic effect on my speaking abilities. I attribute a lot of this to all of the reading and listening that I do.

I'm not really satisfied with my current level, and I need to put in some serious work over the next 5 or so months that I'll be here. One thing I think will help is some dedicated writing practice, such as a blog or wikipedia articles or something. Spending a week writing in Esperanto wikipedia really helped my ability to produce spoken Esperanto, so perhaps the same will hold for German.

I also plan to do a lot more reading. Sprachprofi may think I'm slightly insane for wanting to learn all sorts of obscure words that come up in my novels, rather than spending my time on more practical speaking exercises that I still urgently need, but I just can't resist the pull of vocabulary. New words excite me. I've probably read almost another million words of German since arriving in Germany, and I hope to do that again before I leave.

In summary, I'd already count my German progress as a success, since I can discuss complicated things without hesitating, and I can have good conversations in a noisy bar environment (which was one of my goals). Obviously lots more work to do, but this year has made me a very happy language geek :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Matty
Diglot
United States
Joined 5092 days ago

31 posts - 35 votes
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 50 of 52
02 January 2011 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
I also plan to do a lot more reading. Sprachprofi may think I'm slightly insane for wanting to learn all sorts of obscure words that come up in my novels, rather than spending my time on more practical speaking exercises that I still urgently need, but I just can't resist the pull of vocabulary. New words excite me.

I find that I do the same thing, although I can probably afford to be less practical since I am not in Germany at the moment. But any time I see any word that I don't know, I tend to compulsively add it to Anki. I don't necessarily know if it's good or bad (maybe in the future I'll look back and think it's a terrible method), but I have seen a number of words that seemed obscure to me at the time I added them repeated. If I hadn't added them when I first saw them, I still wouldn't know what they mean. Learning more and more vocabulary also gives me a great excuse to avoid the pain of grammar.

Ich tu es genau wie Sie. Ich bin nicht momentan in Deutschland, deshalb kann ich vielleicht leisten unpraktisch zu sein. Aber wenn ich neue und vorher unbekannte Woerter begegnen, ich fuege sie unbedingt an Anki zu. Vielleicht ist es schlecht und lohnt sich nicht. Zukuenftig werde ich viellecht bessere Methoden entdecken und darauf kopfschüttelnd zurückblicken. Aber mehrere Wörter, die damals voellig nutlos scheint haben spaeter wiedergeholt. Wenn ich die nie gelernt hatte, wuerde ich heute noch nicht verstehen. Es gibt mir auch eine Ausrede, Grammatik auszuweichen!

Edited by Matty on 02 January 2011 at 7:32am

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5784 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 52 of 52
04 January 2011 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Nein, eigentlich nicht. Ich dachte, dass es besser wäre, wenn ich das tun erst in meinem letzten Monat in Deutschland. Dabei kann ich die beste Ergebnis bekommen.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version