Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Doviende’s German log (TAC2010 - Team J)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
52 messages over 7 pages: 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>
Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5696 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 9 of 52
11 October 2009 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Hallo doviende

du kannst auf den duetschen Threads im Mulitlingual Lounge schreiben und dadurch deinen Deutsch verbessern. Die Leute dort sind nett. Bis bald.
1 person has voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5784 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 10 of 52
16 October 2009 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
Just finished reading Harry Potter und der Gefangene von Askaban. 476 pages total. I still have several episodes of DS9 left to watch, but maybe i can finish them this weekend.

stats for october so far:
20hrs TV
26.5hrs Listening
100300 words read
138 anki cards added.

stats overall:
304hrs tv+listening (goal: 500)
520500 words read    (goal: 1M)
1178 anki cards      (goal: 3000)

I'm more than halfway now, in both tv/listening and reading, but i still have some work to do in making more anki cards. Now that i see the numbers, i feel pretty confident about reaching the goals by the end of january. With some hard work, i might be able to reach them early by the end of this year. :)

Edited by doviende on 16 October 2009 at 4:01pm

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6581 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 52
16 October 2009 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Can I ask why are you focusing on counting words? Is that going to be the input into some metric or?

As per your advice (thanks btw) I've read about 100 pages of Italian now, but I have no idea how many words that comes to..

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5784 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 

Message 12 of 52
22 October 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
I do word-counts purely to have a number that always goes up. I actually started doing it because i heard about japanese students doing personal challenge of reading 1 million words of English, without using a dictionary. I decided to do the same thing with German. I'm trying to read 1 million words of German, and i don't use a dictionary while i'm reading. I sometimes highlight a couple words per page and come back to look them up later, but i try hard not to interrupt the flow of my reading.

When i start a book, i try to do an estimate of how many words per page, and then i just count the number of pages i read and multiply by that words-per-page number for that book. This way, if i read different books, and some of them have really tiny print with many words per page, the work is counted properly.

Lately i'm working much more on reading than on TV. I've also noticed, to my great surprise, that reading wikipedia in German has become a lot easier. Also, i'm currently 125 pages into Harry Potter und der Feuerkelch

totals:
570000 words read
1240 anki cards
318hrs tv+listening

2 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5784 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 

Message 13 of 52
25 October 2009 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
I had a really productive day yesterday, working through my German vocabulary book. The book is called "Mastering German Vocabulary: A thematic approach", from Barron's. I really love chapters 8 through 13, with topics like "Feelings and instincts", "thinking, understanding and knowing", "actions and behaviours", etc.

These descriptive verbs are quite useful..i'm not sure how describe them as a category, but they seem to be the words i always run to when i learn a language. it's nice to have them all together in one place to go through them systematically.

Last night, in my fit of motivation, i made about ~130 Anki cards based on the example sentences in the vocab book. I'm quite inspired by the claims of some people in the forums, where they say that they learn upwards of 100 new words per day. I'd like to try this, if i can keep up with the massive number of Anki reps required to actually remember them all.

After i finished working on vocab most of the night, i sat down to read my Harry Potter und Der Feuerkelch, and i noticed right away that a lot of my new words were appearing on each page. Quite satisfying. I'm on page 199 now, about 1/4 done.

german totals:
321 hrs listening + tv
1388 anki sentence cards (containing 3341 unique words)
596000 words read.

I have a goal of adding 600 new anki cards every month, but i've only added 348 so far in october, so my task for the rest of the week is to add and learn the other 252 required cards (bringing me to 1640 total by oct 31 hopefully)

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5784 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 

Message 14 of 52
26 October 2009 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
I took the online placement test from goethe.de today, and i got 16 correct out of 30 questions. It suggested that i should take the test for "B2". B2 would make me quite happy already, but i actually think i got a whole bunch of the questions wrong because they were nitpicky grammar questions. Most of it seemed to be about whether i could pick the right gender and case for some articles, rather than actual communication. the questions about choosing the right word seemed mostly pretty easy for me (like picking the right preposition, or getting past tense stuff right).

I think my listening and reading comprehension is quite high, even if i can't always pick the right article for some weird noun. I guess if i actually cared to write the test, i could just brush up on some technical grammar aspects, and then i could probably move up to C1 or something.

I'd like to work hard on increasing my vocabulary for the next little while, but I'm looking around for suggestions on how to "activate" my German. I've collected several suggestions from some old forum posts already, about how to practice thinking and speaking in the language, so i'll have to try some of those over the next while. I don't really want to be in a position where i have C1 understanding but B1 speaking skills, so active skills are my next big project, probably closer to december.

oh, and while i'm thinking of it, i found a really enjoyable vocab exercise today. I've been browsing through amazon.de and reading the book descriptions and the customer reviews. They have all sorts of interesting descriptive words that i haven't seen before, so it's quite fun to pick out examples to put into Anki.

totals:
324 hrs tv+listening
1428 anki cards
610000 words read

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version