Why is Portuguese harder than Spanish?

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
25 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
Sprachgenie
Decaglot
Germany
Joined 5519 days ago

128 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: German*, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Faroese, Icelandic, Flemish, Persian, Swiss-German
Studies: English, Belarusian

Message 1 of 25
01 November 2009 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Two of my colleagues were arguing about the reasons that Portuguese is more difficult than Spanish. Since I don't have experience with these languages, I would like to know your opinions about whether this is true, and if so, why.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rggg
Heptaglot
Mexico
Joined 6135 days ago

373 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Malay
Studies: Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, Swedish

Message 2 of 25
01 November 2009 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Some people say that it is because Portuguese has more vowel sounds (e.g.: 9 oral and 5 nasalized for European Portuguese) than Spanish, Portuguese also uses nasal sounds more often, although I don't particularly think this a difficult feature.

For Spanish speakers, spoken European Portuguese is usually a little bit harder to understand because its pronunciation's too close, but after a little exposure this obstacle fades quickly.

About grammar? ... No big problems, maybe just the "infinitivo pessoal", but you get the feeling about its use real fast with some practice (as you do with any "special features" in other languages).

On the other hand, my Brazilian friend told me that she didn't find the Spanish language to be that easy to learn for Portuguese speakers, but that's not for me to say.

Edited by rggg on 01 November 2009 at 12:39am

1 person has voted this message useful

Romullo
Brazil
Joined 5857 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Studies: English

Message 3 of 25
01 November 2009 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
Most people say the same, and blame it on the vowels, maybe they're right. But for those who already speak Spanish, Portuguese is really easy, in fact I often hold conversations with Spanish speakers without having ever studied this language, and they have little trouble understanding my mixed language.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 25
01 November 2009 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
There is two simple reasons: the first is that it is easier to find study materials in Spanish in most places on this planet, the second is the pronunciation. However now that I have learnt both languages I don't feel that Portuguese is more difficult to maintain than Spanish   
7 persons have voted this message useful

lancemanion
Triglot
United States
Joined 5382 days ago

150 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 25
01 November 2009 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Probably not true, unless the exposure to Spanish was much higher. Otherwise, it's a toss-up.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5395 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 6 of 25
02 November 2009 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
I think portuguese is very straight forward and easy to learn, it is very very close to Spanish. If you learn Spanish first, learning portuguese is much easier.

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5377 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 7 of 25
02 November 2009 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
I have to concur with others who say Portuguese is really easy if you already know Spanish. I can understand the majority of written Portuguese, and to a certain degree I can understand clearly spoken Portuguese, such as in a newscast, but I've never studied Portuguese in my life (I've read a good deal about the language though, in my general linguistics studies). Same goes for Italian. I have been thinking about studying both languages just because I understand so much already and I don't think it would take me much effort at all.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5395 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 8 of 25
02 November 2009 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
I completely agree with Levi. I've barely studied it, but for the most part I can comprehend a major part of what is thrown at me :) Spanish is a great first foreign language if you would like to master other romance languages.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version