Triglot
United States
Joined 6469 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 9 of 25
03 November 2009 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
I learned Spanish years before trying to tackle Portuguese, and I find that when I try to write or speak Portuguese, Spanish comes out.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachgenie
Decaglot
Germany
Joined 5519 days ago

128 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: German*, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Faroese, Icelandic, Flemish, Persian, Swiss-German
Studies: English, Belarusian

Message 10 of 25
04 November 2009 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
It seems like the consensus here is that, excluding the fact that Spanish learning materials are more abundant, the Spanish and Portuguese languages are either equally difficult or that Portuguese is slightly more difficult due to pronounciation issues. Does anyone disagree with this?

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5952 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 11 of 25
04 November 2009 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Well, Portuguese does have a couple features that don't exist in modern Spanish (personal infinitive, future subjunctive) and the pronunciation is more difficult at first, especially continental Portuguese.

bporcher
Canada
Joined 6368 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish, German

Message 12 of 25
05 November 2009 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
There is two simple reasons: the first is that it is easier to find study materials in Spanish in most
places on this planet, the second is the pronunciation. However now that I have learnt both languages I don't feel
that Portuguese is more difficult to maintain than Spanish   

Great point. I wonder though... certainly, Portuguese learning materials in the English speaking world are less
abundant than Spanish learning materials, but adding to the fact that learning Spanish first makes Portuguese
easier, do you think there are many more Portuguese learning materials in Spanish rather than English, given the
proximity of Spain to Portugal and Spanish-speaking countries in the Americas to Brazil that one could use with a
good knowledge of Spanish?

Gray Parrot
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5406 days ago

41 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Portuguese

Message 13 of 25
09 November 2009 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
I like the sound of Portuguese and don't feel that it's more difficult than Spanish, which I studied years ago. I'm
actually absorbing the language faster than I did Spanish, but that could well be because Spanish was the first
foreign language I studied.

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6044 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 14 of 25
09 November 2009 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
If you're complaining about my mother tongue difficulties, bear it in your mind that it is even difficult to many Brazilians to handle the grammar rules......that's why it's common to spot many mistakes throughout any text written, at least the majority of people here....and it doesn't matter their social class.....from 2012 on things will turn out to be harder thanks to this foolish change that Brazilian government brought up.

Olympia
Triglot
United States
Joined 5791 days ago

195 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Old English, French

Message 15 of 25
12 November 2009 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
I've studied both quite a bit and don't find one more difficult than the other. "Extras" in Portuguese like the
personal infinitive and the future subjunctive are easy to understand once you've heard them used in context a bit.
Not to mention they're very easy to conjugate. It has taken me a bit longer to get the Portuguese pronunciations
down, with the nasalized vowels and the r's that make "h" sounds in certain cases, just to mention a few. However,
the correct pronunciation comes with time, and virtually any native Portuguese speaker can still understand you if
you have difficulty remembering the pronunciation differences between Spanish and Portuguese at first.

Oh, and I learned Spanish to very advanced (but not native-like) fluency before learning Portuguese, if that makes
any difference.

zashikibuta
United States
Joined 5293 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Uyghur

Message 16 of 25
13 December 2009 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
As an intermediate level learner of Spanish, I wanted to attempt Portuguese. But on paper, it "looks like Spanish" but has a completely different pronounciation...made me crazy...hahaha so i quit.. :(

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version