Turkey
livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 7004 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 65 of 104
18 November 2009 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
I just started using Pimsleur Turkish while waiting for Teach Yourself Turkish (apparently one of the better ones in the TY language series) to arrive in the mail.

I'd been a little skeptical beforehand, especially of the complete lack of reading and writing practice, which I was afraid would lead me to speak a kind of "for all intensive purposes" Turkish (that is, I'd be learning to say things which would be intelligible and nearly correct out loud, but completely wrong on paper). After each lesson, though, I've been looking up and writing down the new vocab, which has the dual advantage of reinforcing the words and teaching me how to spell them.

So far it doesn't seem to me like Pimsleur alone would be able to get me anywhere near where I'm trying to reach in terms of Turkish fluency... but that said, I'm pretty sold on it as a method of really getting the basics to stick in a short period of time. It's a little slow, maybe, but I like the repetition and generally find that by the end of a lesson, I've completely memorized everything in it and don't have to repeat any of it.

Edited by Sierra on 18 November 2009 at 12:20am

1 person has voted this message useful

IronFist
United States
Joined 6317 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 66 of 104
18 November 2009 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
I did Pimsleur Japanese and I liked it a lot. It got me thinking in Japanese and got my pronunciation to a good level.

It's not super comprehensive, but I wasn't expecting it to be (contrary to their claims that you'll be basic-fluent or whatever).

It subtly teaches grammar, which I like. Grammar is boring, but with Pimsleur I felt like I was learning grammar indirectly... much like with my native language of English, some things would just "sound wrong." For example, in elementary school we'd have to identify the errors in sentences. It would say something like "We will has a party tomorrow." I'd always know what was wrong, but I never knew why. I just knew it "sounded wrong."

Same thing with Pimsleur. I couldn't have initially told you why "gohan wa tabemasu" was wrong, but I knew that it was wrong and should instead be "gohan wo tabemasu."

Pimsleur got the words implanted deep in my head. I never hesitated in mid-sentence to find a word that I learned through Pimsleur... in fact, on the rare occasions I actually had someone with whom I could speak Japanese, I would often get to the end of a sentence before I even realized it.

I'd do the lessons in my car during my commute on my way to work. I never really thought they were boring. Sometimes I'd even catch myself laughing during the lesson, like when they have you ask a lady if she wants to go out for drinks or something like that and then she says "no." lol

So, I like them.

I have no idea what this "Assimil" thing people keep talking about, is. I thought it was only available to French speakers.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5415 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 67 of 104
18 November 2009 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
I'd do the lessons in my car during my commute on my way to work. I never really thought they were boring. Sometimes I'd even catch myself laughing during the lesson, like when they have you ask a lady if she wants to go out for drinks or something like that and then she says "no." lol

Pimsleur Korean doesn't seem to have much humor in it (intentional or otherwise) that I've seen (at least up to lesson 27, which is where I am currently), but Pimsleur Spanish makes me laugh frequently.

From Lesson 15:
Woman: "You and Carlos can buy it together."
Man: "I don't like Carlos."
Woman: "Why not?"
Man: "He has too much money."

From Lesson 20 (she is pointing to a photo in a photo album):
Woman: "Isn't he your friend?"
Man: "Yes, we are friends, but when we are together, I don't like it."
Woman: "Why not?"
Man: "He talks too much."
Woman: "Too fast?"
Man: "No, he talks slowly, but he talks a lot."
Man: "..and he doesn't leave."
3 persons have voted this message useful

IronFist
United States
Joined 6317 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 68 of 104
19 November 2009 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
I had Pimsleur Korean from like 10 years ago when it only went up to lesson 10. It was weird, super formal Korean. I watched Korean TV for years and this didn't sound anything like it at all.

The program now that they use for the 30 lessons is entirely different and actually sounds like the Korean you hear on TV.

I never got very far in it, though, because I got busy doing other stuff :/

oceankyle
United States
Joined 5121 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes

Message 69 of 104
20 July 2010 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
So I've been reading this thread and some other threads on Pimsleurs Spanish, and had a
couple questions.

1) People are saying that Pimsleur is too slow? I'm on lesson 28 and it has been taking
me 3 or 4 tries to get through a lesson and I frequently do not have enough time to
respond. I'm pretty sure I'm not dumb, I have a bachelors degree in finance with a 3.7
GPA.

2) I don't know anything about learning methods but after reading this thread I noticed
that when I am doing the lessons I visualize the words in my head (likely as a result
of highschool Spanish and a semester in college?). Does this mean anything? I've always
considered myself more of a visual learner and a poor audio one.

3) Learning gets extremely frustrating/angering at times, I'm assuming this is normal
though.

-------

Sorry if there is anything I should have searched for, searching takes so long and
figured I'd post this to see if anyone would respond while I search up on the forums.
This place looks like a great forum.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5207 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 70 of 104
20 July 2010 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
oceankyle wrote:
So I've been reading this thread and some other threads on Pimsleurs Spanish, and had a
couple questions.

1) People are saying that Pimsleur is too slow? I'm on lesson 28 and it has been taking
me 3 or 4 tries to get through a lesson and I frequently do not have enough time to
respond. I'm pretty sure I'm not dumb, I have a bachelors degree in finance with a 3.7
GPA.

2) I don't know anything about learning methods but after reading this thread I noticed
that when I am doing the lessons I visualize the words in my head (likely as a result
of highschool Spanish and a semester in college?). Does this mean anything? I've always

3) Learning gets extremely frustrating/angering at times, I'm assuming this is normal
though.

-------

Sorry if there is anything I should have searched for, searching takes so long and
figured I'd post this to see if anyone would respond while I search up on the forums.
Hi, I made it through lesson 16 of Pimsleur Spanish before switching to Michel Thomas. I thought it was pretty boring, and I wanted to learn faster so I could use it sooner (I know a lot of Hispanics).

Just because you were good at finance doesn't mean languages is your thing (not bagging on your intelligence or major, I like finance myself, maybe Pimsleur doesn't suit your learning style?)

I too am more of a visual learner, it helps me to see the words in front of me. Michel Thomas has a booklet with most of the words he says in the target language and a translation, which I find helpful to look at.

If learning gets too frustrating (it will eventually), just take a break and do something else.

buena suerta amigo

Edit: Didn't notice this was your first post...welcome! You're gonna love this forum, it really is great.

Edited by johntm93 on 20 July 2010 at 4:52am

oceankyle
United States
Joined 5121 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes

Message 71 of 104
20 July 2010 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
oceankyle wrote:
So I've been reading this thread and some other
threads on Pimsleurs Spanish, and had a
couple questions.

GPA.

though.

-------

Hi, I made it through lesson 16 of
Pimsleur Spanish before switching to Michel Thomas. I thought it was pretty boring, and
I wanted to learn faster so I could use it sooner (I know a lot of Hispanics).

Just because you were good at finance doesn't mean languages is your thing (not bagging
on your intelligence or major, I like finance myself, maybe Pimsleur doesn't suit your
learning style?)

I too am more of a visual learner, it helps me to see the words in front of me. Michel
Thomas has a booklet with most of the words he says in the target language and a
translation, which I find helpful to look at.

If learning gets too frustrating (it will eventually), just take a break and do
something else.

buena suerta amigo

Edit: Didn't notice this was your first post...welcome! You're gonna love this forum,
it really is great.

Thanks for the response. Yea I'm guessing that I'm not real good with languages. I have
the time and the desire though so I just gotta keep going. I will be spending 5 months
traveling in central America starting at the end of October, so I need to get decent by
then!

I'm gonna check out Michel Thomas, I had heard good things about him before, and
obviously on this forum. Very interested in the Assimil also since it seems to have a
more significant reading portion which I feel I might benefit from.
2 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5207 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 72 of 104
20 July 2010 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
oceankyle wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
oceankyle wrote:
So I've been reading this thread and some other
threads on Pimsleurs Spanish, and had a
couple questions.

GPA.

though.

-------

Hi, I made it through lesson 16 of
Pimsleur Spanish before switching to Michel Thomas. I thought it was pretty boring, and
I wanted to learn faster so I could use it sooner (I know a lot of Hispanics).

Just because you were good at finance doesn't mean languages is your thing (not bagging
on your intelligence or major, I like finance myself, maybe Pimsleur doesn't suit your
learning style?)

I too am more of a visual learner, it helps me to see the words in front of me. Michel
Thomas has a booklet with most of the words he says in the target language and a
translation, which I find helpful to look at.

If learning gets too frustrating (it will eventually), just take a break and do
something else.

buena suerta amigo

Edit: Didn't notice this was your first post...welcome! You're gonna love this forum,
it really is great.

Thanks for the response. Yea I'm guessing that I'm not real good with languages. I have
the time and the desire though so I just gotta keep going. I will be spending 5 months
traveling in central America starting at the end of October, so I need to get decent by
then!

I'm gonna check out Michel Thomas, I had heard good things about him before, and
obviously on this forum. Very interested in the Assimil also since it seems to have a
more significant reading portion which I feel I might benefit from.

I wouldn't assume you're bad at languages yet, you've just started. Explore several learning methods. I'm not going to say whether I'm good or not with languages (even if I'm not I'll keep learning them) until I have a lot more experience with them.

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" - Kevin Durant
If you have the desire and passion, talent doesn't matter.

I'd also recommend Assimil, I'm using it for German and I like it.

Edited by johntm93 on 20 July 2010 at 8:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version