Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
85 messages over 11 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 10 11 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 49 of 85
02 April 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
dragonfly wrote:
Wow! 112 new words a week is a huge amount! Do you learn the new
words only by the means of Anki? Are they well retained that way?

Actually my average has been around 200 new words a week, and my goal 300. It's not too
difficult because I only study words Chinese-to-English and I'm only looking at those
whose characters I should know (two or more characters only). It's actually quite easy
even if I miss sessions, as in this past week, and I don't need mnemonics, they just
slip into place sooner or later. I extracted all words from the HSK file sorted by HSK
level and then eliminated all the one-character entries because I had studied the
characters last year.

For Italian or Spanish vocabulary I would only study production and the rest would fall
into place, but for Chinese I have to use a different approach. It's too difficult to
use words correctly just by studying them like this, so instead I'm settling for being
able to understand them and I use Boya Chinese textbook and various readers to help me
learn to use them actively.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 02 April 2010 at 5:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 50 of 85
08 April 2010 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Week 14

I didn't do anything today because I was not feeling up to it after having been to the
dentist. However, I'm not too unhappy with my overall progress for the week.

Chinese: 322 new words, into HSK 3 territory now; no new sentences, I'm
up to date on characters now though
French: only 1 1/2 hours again :-(
Greek: now on lesson 51, so I did 4 lessons of the passive wave and 2 of the
active wave.
Swahili: lesson 40, so only two new lessons this week, despite two and a half
hours on Swahili. The vocabulary is going slow like molasses, maybe because there are
words I had never needed in French.
Esperanto: I have started translating a German movie ("Die Feuerzangenbowle") to
Esperanto. Spent 3 hours on that this week and I'm counting it as language practise
because I regularly have to look up words. Nothing like a translation exercise to make
you see your shortcomings.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 08 April 2010 at 9:25pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 51 of 85
15 April 2010 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Week 15

Chinese: 211 new words, they are harder than before; no new sentences; some studying of
Boya Chinese and Chinese phonetics
French: 3 hours
Greek: now on lesson 57, so I did 6 lessons of the active wave and also the
corresponding passive ones of course.
Swahili: nothing new this week
Esperanto: 2 hours on translating "Die Feuerzangenbowle" to Esperanto and some
additional time working on setting up a forum similar to this one in Esperanto.

This is probably my last update of this log. I will continue pursuing the TAC
and post updates on my private blog but I am
leaving the forum this week because of an influx of bigots, bringing up bad memories.
See
TID=20220&PN=1&TPN=5">this latest thread on Esperanto
for an example - people make the most offensive claims denigrating this culture I'm a
part of, even doubting its very existence despite proof to the contrary, and not only
do they get away with it, votes also indicate that a sizable number of the forum
population agrees with what they're saying.

I do not intend to delete my account so you can reach me via pm.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 15 April 2010 at 9:55pm

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5253 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 52 of 85
16 April 2010 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi, I don't think you and I have ever had any direct exchanges on the forum, and
I am a relative newcomer compared to you. However, I really hope you will reconsider
your decision to leave. I personally am completely neutral about Esperanto - I don't
intend to learn it but I have no opinion about those who do other than the same
admiration I have for anyone who can study a foreign language to a high level.

However, your posts are always extremely interesting and informative, and I am in awe of
your ability to write in English. It is people like you who make this forum such a
wonderful place and I would be very sad to see you go. I'm sure many other members must
feel the same.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5931 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 53 of 85
16 April 2010 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
However, your posts are always extremely interesting and informative, and I am in awe of your ability to write in English. It is people like you who make this forum such a wonderful place and I would be very sad to see you go. I'm sure many other members must feel the same.

I agree completely. I will be very sad to see you go. It is, of course, your choice, but I hope that you will reconsider. It does not seem to me that there are many of these Esperanto-haters on here, and you should just ignore those unkind comments. Of course they were unnecessarily rude, but they are not representative of the vast majority of us on here.

If you choose to go, you will surely be missed. If you do choose this, however, goodbye.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5270 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 54 of 85
16 April 2010 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi, although I have not interacted as much with you, I have always found your posts to be well thought out
and supported. You definitely know what you are talking about, and I think that since you are a relatively active
member on the forum, you are valued as a poster in terms of your knowledge. As others have said, take a moment
to reconsider, as they are just comments on the internet. If you feel that badly about it, I'm sure you could use your
amazing writing skills and most definitely superior linguistic ability to counteract those statements. You will
definitely be missed, so I hope that you reconsider.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 16 April 2010 at 2:22am

dragonfly
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6268 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 55 of 85
16 April 2010 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi, teammate, should you really pay attention to these people? There were discussions here on the forum when people spoke badly about my native country, and they made me really furious ... totally in vain. Such people come and go, there are lots of knowledgeable supportive members here, just like you, for them it's really worth staying.
Nevertheless, I'd like to turn to you some day, as I'm interested in Esperanto as a linguist. My field of research is how the language affects you worldview, and it would be interesting to find out if an artificial language can influence your perception of reality.
Hope to hear from you.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 56 of 85
17 April 2010 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
Thank you all for your kind messages. The reason I don't feel at ease in this forum is
because I can talk about all my languages except the one that I feel has enriched me
most... let's take the new topic "Most Interesting Grammar" for example. The original
poster voted for English, so it's safe to say he's not just looking for the more exotic
candidates like Maori, Swahili or the like, even though these languages are fascinating
as well. Because of his vote for English, I know could get away with voting for French
or German or Chinese; probably even Klingon would be an acceptable vote.
However, if I were honest and voted Esperanto because of the unique regular word
creation system, I'd be drawn into another fight again.

To have a somewhat normal forum experience and good blood pressure levels, I'd have to
censor myself at every step, not just to prevent myself from replying when bigots
spread lies about Esperanto to newbies who ask about it, but also to hide my true
thoughts on questions like the above.

If you recall, there used to be several pro-Esperanto voices every time the subject
came up. I find now that we're sick of it, sick of having to defend a perfectly natural
choice of second language, sick of people thinking they can single out Esperanto among
all the world's languages and deny it the respect that they would not deny to Piraha,
or Saint Lucian Creole French. Now Esperanto haters are getting louder, also supported
by anonymous votes, and the pro-Esperanto voices are disappearing. Some have gone the
way of Iversen, censoring anything they might want to say about Esperanto. Others are
following Volte, disappearing for months at a time. Yet others are leaving the forum
entirely, like Blunderstein did most recently. I'm one of the last. Because of the
other people I have now heard, I will probably drop by once in a while to read about
new language-learning methods or to answer questions directed at me, but this forum
doesn't feel right anymore to share my crazy ideas.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 85 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version