Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
85 messages over 11 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 10 11 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 9 of 85
09 December 2009 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Yes. I didn't, somebody else did and wrote about it on the Anki discussion group. To get this deck, go to "Download Shared Decks" within Anki and look for "20,000+ Mandarin HSK Sentences v.2". The v.2 is important so that you can sort the sentences by HSK level.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 85
10 December 2009 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Thanks! I hadn't thought of the shared decks.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 11 of 85
25 December 2009 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
I got "Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone" in Modern Greek this Christmas! This has boosted my interest in Greek, especially since I noticed I can already understand the gist and most words of every sentence. I read 6 pages today and it's slow-going but possible. I also looked into Assimil Greek again a week ago, and noticed that not all of it is known and boring. I believe I have my work cut out for me.

I also got Foucault's Pendulum in Italian, a welcome addition to my resources as well.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 12 of 85
29 December 2009 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Today I finished the first volume of T.K. Ann's "Cracking the Chinese puzzles". It really helped me make sense of and memorize Chinese characters. However, I'm still short about 180 characters short of last TAC's goal of 3000 - I can theoretically achieve it by the end of the year, the question is if I should and if I want to, because I'm at an Esperanto event and having fun.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 13 of 85
03 January 2010 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
I finished the year with 2953 characters because I couldn't efficiently cram that many and I wanted to hang out with my Esperanto friends as well. However, I have added all 3000 characters to my Anki already and I shall continue to study this deck, to learn those characters and review the others. Other than that, I'll mostly switch over to the deck with 20,000 sentences.

A list of my 2009 achievements can be found at in my previous log.

Tomorrow I'm flying back to Berlin and will begin my TAC in earnest.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 14 of 85
04 January 2010 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
I'm back in Berlin. I arrived late and too tired to do much, but I managed to review all Assimil lessons in the plane. Also, I mapped out what I want to do. I believe that going after all languages at once will be too distracting when I'm thinking about what to study now. I want to concentrate on two languages each season and mostly just do maintenance on the rest. My tentative plan is:

January to March: focus on Chinese and French.
April to June: focus on French and Greek.
July to September: focus on Italian and Arabic.
October to December: focus on Arabic and Swahili.

I will listen to Assimil Swahili lessons throughout the year, hoping to do at least 3 new ones per week. This should allow me to finish Assimil by October, and then I can work on Swahili more intensively using other materials. Even while not focussing on Greek, I will move ahead with Assimil Greek too and finish my current reader, so that the language stays in my head.

The French is mandatory, not something I'd choose to do, because of my upcoming graduation from university. If I can get it over with faster, I will be glad to move another language up, probably Italian or Spanish, so that I still have the mix of one easier language and one harder one.

I believe this focus will be more effective. I want to keep language-learning fun though, so I won't regret spending time with languages other than the focus ones. I will combat wanderlust to start on any language I haven't studied at all yet.

I will need to work 30-35 hours every week on GermanPod101, teaching, programming, university stuff and the like. Because of this, I am aiming for a minimum of 23 hours of language study a week. I am keeping track using Doviende's spreadsheet solution. In December, when I first tried it out, I achieved 84% of what I set out to do, and more as I got used to the method.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 04 January 2010 at 11:25pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 15 of 85
05 January 2010 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Some French words and phrases I learned from the game Albion:

marrant = funny, fun
trafiquer = to fiddle with; (slang:) to be up to sth.
culotté = cheeky
crocheter = to pick a lock
répudier = to renounce
avoir des ennuis = to be in trouble
assommer = to knock out, to bore
une maison close = whorehouse
prendre congé = to take leave, beg leave
tenir parole = to keep one's word
débaucher = to corrupt; lay off; tempt sb. away
sciemment = knowingly
un hic = a catch (to a plan etc.)
livide = deathly pale
voué à la mort = doomed, destined to die (GER: todgeweiht)
(me passer) sur le corps = over my dead body
une voie de garage = side-track
pourvu qu'il ait raison = let's hope that he's right / provided that he's right

QUESTIONS:

il ne dédaigne pas une partie de leur savoir = he doesn't despise ANY part of their knowledge   OR he doesn't despise some part of their knowledge?
je connais par contre quelques candidats comme Alzheimer, qui... = ?
nous n'avons que faire de vos sales intrigues = ?
mourir la mort de 3 ans = ?
2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5931 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 16 of 85
05 January 2010 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
I shall be following your progress as well and wish you luck in all your endeavors. I am especially intrigued in your idea of focusing on two languages for a three-month period of time. I had thought of dividing up my own year of study in this way, but decided against it because I thought that I would end up forgetting more during the "off-periods" than what I learned in the "on-periods."

My usual approach in since this past summer has been to assign each of my languages a day of the week: Monday is Portuguese, Tuesday is French, Wednesday is Italian, Thursday is German, Friday is Greek, Saturday is Japanese, and Sunday is Swedish. For this set-up, I would write down a list of weekly goals that I wished to attain (a bit lofty, but still attainable if I apply myself). Lately, however, I have found that giving myself a larger time period and a general list of goals works better. This is because on some days, I simply don't want to study the assigned language--for example, today is Tuesday and according to my schedule, I should be studying French, but instead I have been studying Swedish and Japanese. (I congratulate you if you have successfully made it this far in my post without getting confused...)

In any case, I will be interested to see how your method works out for you. If you find it to be effective, I might just implement it in the future.

Good luck!

--Philip

This discussion contains 85 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version