Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 25 of 30
07 August 2010 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Well it's been about three months since my last entry, but here's an update of my
progress. For anyone else out there who has lost motivation, like myself, don't give
up!!

Italian
I haven't done any formal study of the language lately. Instead, I have been
chatting online with an Italian friend several times per week. I find that I am having
to use a dictionary less than before, so I am satisfied with this result. I think that
for the duration of the summer, this will be my only use of the language. In September,
when school resumes and things become more routine, I want to give myself two
designated days per week for the study of Italian. I think this is a realistic goal
based on my school schedule.

Spanish
My trip to Spain is quickly approaching. I've been speaking Spanish whenever possible,
and trying to build up my vocabulary. I've been watching lots of movies dubbed into
Spanish, and I also bought the Let's Talk Spanish Advanced CD Series. I am satisfied
with my understanding of grammar, spelling and writing in general, but I need to build
up my confidence with speaking. Feel free to check out my blog,
www.barcelonajourney.com, where I will keep
you updated about my travels in Iceland, Spain and the south of France.

Catalan
I've decided that for now I cannot study this language. If I decide to frequently visit
Catalonia, this decision would accordingly change, but for now I want to focus more on
Italian and Spanish.

Edited by canada38 on 14 August 2010 at 10:22pm

1 person has voted this message useful

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 26 of 30
28 August 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
I've just returned from my trip to Europe. Most of the time was spent in Barcelona,
Spain. However, I also visited other parts of Catalonia, the Languedoc-Roussillon in
the south of France, the tiny country of Andorra, and Iceland. I had a great time, and
here are my observations pertaining to languages:

- Icelanders in general speak English pretty well. Most of those whom I encountered
spoke English very well, while a small minority could not express themselves adequately
in English.
- Their language looks very difficult on paper, and from my understanding it is hard to
learn as well, however it sounds a lot more beautiful than it looks!
- Catalan is alive and well in Barcelona. Most signs give emphasis in the following
order: Catalan, English, then Spanish.
- In tourist areas, I had no problem using Spanish, and English usually was fine too,
although it wasn't always the case.
- For non tourist areas, both inside Barcelona and it surrounding Catalonia, I was
better off to use English than my limited Spanish since most of the people seemed to
only speak Catalan, some English and even less Spanish.
- In Andorra, it seemed Catalan is still the language of choice. I wasn't there for
very long though, so it's hard to know for certain.
- When I spoke Spanish (with people who understood the language), I was generally
understood even though I likely made many mistakes.
- I now realise that my French definitely needs improvement if I want to make myself
understood in France.

In addition, here is a short composition that I've written in Italian. Nothing overly
exciting, but as usual, I post my practice writings on here:

La mia estate

Questa estate era molto bene. Lavorai in un laboratorio della chimica analitica. Ci
sono altri due studenti e il professore. Il lavoro fu insieme difficile e gratificante.
Continuerò questo lavoro in settembre quando la università riprenderà.

Anche è stato il anniversario secondo per la mia ragazza e io. Visitammo un villaggio
pittoresco di pesca. Avemmo della cena e del vino spagnolo.

Infine, andammo per l'Europe. Vederemo Barcellona e le altre città della Catalogna in
Spagna. Visitammo anche il sud della Francia, l'Andorra e l'Islanda. Mi piace molto
queste regione. Era il mio tempo secondo in Europe.

Ho avuto una buona estate!

If someone wants to correct any grammatical faults, please do so!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5158 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 27 of 30
30 August 2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
First of all, congratulations on your Italian, canada38! Your composition is good and with few errors. There are a couple of mistakes, but they don’t hinder comprehension at all.

So here we go:

La mia estate

Questa estate è stata molto bella. Ho lavorato in un laboratorio di chimica analitica. C’erano altri due studenti e il professore. Il lavoro è stato insieme* difficile e gratificante.
Continuerò questo lavoro a settembre quando l’università riprenderà.

C’è stato anche il secondo anniversario per me e la mia ragazza. Abbiamo visitato un pittoresco villaggio di pescatori. Abbiamo cenato fuori** e abbiamo bevuto del vino spagnolo.

Infine, siamo andati in giro per l'Europa. Abbiamo visto Barcellona e le altre città della Catalogna in Spagna. Abbiamo visitato anche il sud della Francia, Andorra e l'Islanda. Mi piace molto queste regione. Era la mia seconda volta in Europa.

Ho trascorso una bella estate!

* ‘insieme’ might be used in this context, but is not really the best way to express this idea. I suppose you want to say ‘allo stesso tempo’.

** I suppose you mean that you and your girlfriend dined out, otherwise ‘abbiamo cenato’ would suffice.

If I may offer my suggestion, I would advise you to pay special attention to the tenses, because that’s the area you seem to have more trouble with (but you probably already know that). As you can see I changed the ‘passato remoto’ into ‘passato prossimo’. Even though ‘passato remoto’ is used in the South of Italy to tell about past events like the ones you are narrating, in standard Italian one usually uses ‘passato prossimo’.

‘Passato remoto’ is rarely used, apart from literary narrative, or some historical texts (ex. ‘Napoleone morì sull’Isola di Sant’Elena nel 1821’).

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work!

2 persons have voted this message useful

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 28 of 30
20 September 2010 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the help Emme! I admit, I do have a lot of work to do for Italian verbs.
That's definitely an area I'll focus on in the coming weeks. Also, I was slow to
respond because with classes resuming I've been quite busy. Here is an update on my
language studies:

Spanish
I've now begun my second year of study of the Spanish language. This semester I'm
taking "Intermediate Spanish I." So far, the class has been going well. There is
surprisingly a lot of homework, but none of it is overly difficult. The professor seems
genuinely interested in teaching the language. Also, since it is a higher level course,
most of the other students in the class will actually be interested in learning the
language, as opposed to the usual group of people solely fulfilling their university
language requirement in introductory language courses. Another interesting thing to
note: The professor seems to have a benign distaste for the Continental variety of
Spanish... so I expect to get some interesting reactions when I persistently pronounce
words as thervetha, corathones, relathión, etc. and the use of vosotros.
The text book for the course is IMAGINA español sin barreras, 2nd edition, by
Blanco and Tocaimaza-Hatch. The book has a "magazine feel" to it, with lots of
colourful pages (I know, I know, content is most important, but that's there too!), and
there are lots of supplementary materials (video, audio, exercises, pronunciation of
new vocabulary) available online for the book too.

The first major assignment for the course is to respond to a letter given in the
textbook. The writer, Carlos, is in a dilemma because of work circumstances, he must
have a long distance relationship with his girlfriend. They communicate mostly online,
however he has made a fake online account (They didn't say Facebook, let's assume it is
;), to test her commitment to him. She starts an "online relationship" with this fake
guy, and now Carlos has to confront his girlfriend with the truth. As Dr. Corazones,
writing for the local newspaper, I have to give him some advice. Anyone can feel free
to correct any mistakes, although don't feel compelled because I'll be handing it in
tomorrow anyways. (Although I still would like to know any faults, not just for the
mark in the class, but to learn Spanish correctly.) Here is my response to poor Carlos.

Estimado Carlos:

Esta situación es verdaderamente un problema. Has dicho que estás seguro de que ella te
ama. Si esto es cierto, creo que tú puedes salvar vuestra relación. Creo que desde la
segunda relación es también una relación virtual, ella no te ha engañado en la vida
real. Tal vez ella le gusta esta relación que es solamente virtual, pero al presente no
quiere ninguna segunda relación en la vida real. Sus deseos pueden cambiar con el
tiempo, por lo tanto tú debes hablar inmediatamente con ella.

La pregunta es, ¿qué vas hacer tú para que ella acepte la verdad? Debes estar seguro y
debes verificar que no ha habido de la infidelidad. Si ella tiene remordimiento por la
relación con el otro hombre virtual, puedes perdonarla. Además, debes pedirla si hay
unos otros hombres virtuales o verdaderos. Si hay más hombres, ella no es la chica para
ti.

Entiendo que tú estás disgustado y preocupado, pero no debas estar ni deprimido ni
enojado. Intenta tener una discusión pacífica con ella. Por ultimó, os sugiero que
vosotros vivís en la misma ciudad. Espero que tú y Marcela podéis remendar vuestra
relación.

Te saluda atentamente,

Doctor Corazones

German
I needed another elective course, so like any other language lover, I chose to study a
language. Right now I'm in the the beginner Introductory to German I course. The
professor is really nice, and most people in the class seem to actually want to learn
the language. The textbook is Berliner Platz 1 Neu: German for Beginners by
Lemcke, Rohrmann and Scherling. The explanations are concise, but the downside is that
all exercises are entirely in German. This made the first homework assignment more
difficult than was necessary. The book also includes Treffpunkt D-A-CH Cultural
Reader and Exercise Booklet
by Seiffert about Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I
also bought Collins Easy Learning German Dictionary. The format of this
dictionary is really great: there are no abbreviations and the words are coloured blue
to separate them from their description. So far, I really like studying German. If I
still feel this way when the course is completed, I'll very likely continue studying
the language on my own. Unfortunately, I don't have any more room for arts electives.

My goal is to get A+ in both of my language courses this semester.

Italian
My study of Italian lately has only consisted of conversations with my friend from
Italy. My vocabulary is growing and is retained, but I have some serious work to do
with verbs. I think that will be my focus in the coming weeks. I don't really have any
time to continue with Pimsleur II right now, so I think most of my study of Italian
will remain rather informal in nature.

Edited by canada38 on 20 September 2010 at 5:31am

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 29 of 30
07 December 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Wow, my last update was in September, terrible. To be honest, I've been living school
since September, and just haven't had time to post an update. Fortunately, 2 out of 5
of my classes are language classes! Regardless, here's an update of my progress since
then:

Spanish
Yesterday I wrote the final exam for my Spanish course. I studied hard for it, so I
hope I did well. My goal was to get an A in the course, but I might not since my
midterm mark wasn't the best (I had an intermediate calculus test the same day, which
had to take priority). Here's a summary of what I've learnt throughout the semester:
- Gustar and similar verbs
- Preterite
- Imperfect
- Subjunctive (in noun and adjective clauses)
- Direct and indirect object pronouns
- Imperative (commands)
- Reflexive verbs
- Por and para
- Vocabulary focusing mostly on emotions, city life, media and family.

Some of these topics were a review from last year. While on one hand it's good to
thoroughly reinforce the basics, it also made the course somewhat dull. We spent a
good amount of time discussing the culture of various Hispanic countries and watched a
few short films, both fiction and non-fiction. One of the films was shot in Barcelona,
and focused on different types of stores (florist, butcher, etc.). Interestingly
enough, I had visited some of those exact locations in August!

Italian
Again, my study of Italian has remained rather informal. Nonetheless, I've been having
weekly conversations with an Italian friend, so I am getting lots of practice. I asked
my girlfriend to get me an Italian grammar book as a Christmas gift. During the
Christmas break from school, I'll definitely focus heavily on Italian.

German
My study of the German language went really well. On almost every homework assignment
(there was one given every class) I got a perfect score. I got above 90% on the tests
and reviews (4 and 6 each). This was a really enjoyable course, but unfortunately, I am
unable to take any more German courses. The final exam is in less than two weeks, and I
am confident I'll be able to finish the class with an A+. Here's a summary of what I've
learned in the German language:
- Present tense verb conjugation
- Questions
- Articles
- Separable-prefix verbs
- Accusative case
- Plural nouns
- Possessives
- Numbers, dates, times
- Simple past of sein and haben
- Lots of expressions and greetings
- Vocabulary: languages, countries, talking with friends (drinks like coffee and tea,
phone numbers, etc.), household appliances, public places (movie theatre, swimming pool
etc.), stores and food, and family members.

One benefit of learning German was that it did not interfere at all with Spanish or
Italian. This was definitely a major problem when I spent a few months studying
Catalan.

Overall, I really enjoyed learning German. Right now I'm uncertain how I will continue
studying the language, although to begin I'll likely finish the textbook used from the
course. Fortunately, I have a much easier course load in the winter semester, that
includes 3 Spanish courses and only 2 chemistry ones... which will definitely leave
lots of free time for me to study Italian and German. Anyways, sorry for the lack of
updates, and I hope to give atleast one more update before the year and TAC 2010 wrap
up.

Edited by canada38 on 07 December 2010 at 12:49pm

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 30 of 30
23 December 2010 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
The final marks for my classes have been posted. In Spanish I got an A-, and in
German I got an A+. I was hoping to do a lot better in Spanish, but that mark is
good enough. I'll probably take a break from Spanish until class resumes, but I'll likely
resume German soon.

For Italian, I've spent the last two weeks focusing on verbs. Even though I was
familiar with these tenses, I've made sure that I completely understand il presente,
il presente progressivo, il passato prossimo, l'imperfetto, e il futuro.
I also made
sure I knew the conjugations for some common irregular verbs. For now I'm going to
continue to focus on verbs, then perhaps work on vocabulary.

Edited by canada38 on 23 December 2010 at 11:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version