United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 49 of 55
22 November 2010 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
Mi ankoraŭ ne havas multajn oportunojn por paroli, sed kiam mi povas, mi parolas bone- ne rapide, sed bone. Mi
legas kaj skribas pli bone, kaj mi uzas esperanton ĉio tago por komuniki kun amikojn en la tutan mondon, kaj por
lerni pri mondnovaĵojn. Mi ne ĉiam uzas la akusativon kaj la ig/iĝ afiksojn ĝuste, sed mi malrapide plibonigas fare
de mia legado.
Mi esperas ke mi povos ĉeesti eventon en la venonto. Mi ne havas aŭto kaj mi malŝategas busojn, do vojaĝi estas
malfacile por mi; sed, se evento ekzistus proksima al mi, mi provos ĉeesti ĝin.
Ankaŭ, mi planas krei esperanto klubo ĉe mia universitato en la venonta jaro. Mi ne scias pri aliaj esperantistoj en
mia urbo, sed se ili ekzistas, mi esperas ke mi povos trovi ilin; kaj mi esperas ke homoj kiuj interesiĝas pri
esperanto ĉeestos, kaj mi povas instrui ilin.

Bonvolu korekti miajn erarojn, se mi faris ĝin. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 50 of 55
24 November 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Vi skribas bonege!

La plej ofta eraro estis ke vi uzis la akuzativon post prepozicio. Oni nur faras tion se
temas pri direkto. Cxu vi povas mem trovi la erarojn? Tio helpos al vi.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 51 of 55
25 November 2010 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
Ho jes.... mi pensas ke "por komuniki kun amikojn en la tutan mondon, kaj por
lerni pri mondnovaĵojn" devas esti "por komuniki kun amikoj en la tuta mondo, kaj por lerni pri mondnovaĵoj". Ĉu
mi pravas? Kaj dankon! :)

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 52 of 55
25 November 2010 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Jes, prave. :-)

Krom tio nur tre malmulte:
1. mi uzas esperanton ĉio tago -> ĉiun tagon aŭ ĉiutage aŭ en ĉiu tago (uzu aŭ adverbon
aŭ prepozicion aŭ akuzativon por indiki tempon)
2. mi malrapide plibonigas fare de mia legado. -> pliboniĝas, kaj mi dirus "dank' al
mia legado" aŭ "pro mia legado". (-igi ĉiam bezonas objekton, -iĝi neniam bezonas tion)
3. Mi ne havas aŭto -> +n
4. Ankaŭ, mi planas krei esperanto klubo -> +n

2 persons have voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 53 of 55
25 November 2010 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Ho, jes, nun mi komprenas. Mi pensis ke ĉio tago ne sonas ĝuste, sed ne komprenis kial. ^_^;
Dankon pro via detalaj korektoj! Ili estas tre helpa. :)

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 54 of 55
06 December 2010 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
OK, update time! I'm still not ready to completely tally which goals I've reached and which I've failed (for one
thing, I plan to take another Lernu! quiz later this week and want it to count), but I have gone over them and I
have to say, I feel pretty good about it.

Last week I finished Smart.FM's Core 2000 series! I have definitely forgotten a lot of the vocab from steps 3 and
4, so I will need to do some review, but I definitely found this series really helpful and made a lot of progress
thanks to it, especially in listening fluency. I'm not going to start the Core 6000 series right away, but I'm not
going to stop using Smart.FM either. I've already begun working through a series of lists that someone put
together with vocab from the movie "Spirited Away"; I recently downloaded a copy of that movie to my computer
so I plan to watch it when I finish the lists and read along with the script at the same time.

I've also begun a review of all the Genki kanji and vocab I've half-forgotten. In the spring I will have to take a
Japanese placement test, so I need to be sure I remember the material that will be tested, and since the
university uses the Genki textbooks as their main resource, I figure I need to know more or less *everything* they
cover. I would like to be able to skip straight to the Japanese 401 conversation classes, so it's important to do
well on the test.

I have been rewatching some of my favorite Durarara!! episodes without subs and really enjoying it. Sometimes I
can listen for five or six minutes without hearing a single thing I don't understand! Other times the conversation
gets serious enough that I can't understand a single word. I think not having subs to lean on anymore is helping
my improve my listening skills a bit, but there's not a lot of improvement to be made- I'm good at listening, I
just don't have all the vocab I need yet. But I could do with some practice listening to poor-quality audio,
mumbling, etc.

So with that in mind I'm re-focussing my Japanese attention on reading. I need to learn more kanji and more
vocab and then just read as much as possible. I don't think it would be wise to push myself to do Heisig too
quickly- that was my mistake before- but when I DO finish it, I want to start L/Ring in Japanese ASAP.
Right now, I'm almost done working through the kanji I had forgotten. I want to be 100% sure I know these 500
kanji before I move on to the next 500. I think I will approach the next batch in smaller groups but be better
about doing it every day- so I'll do five or ten a day instead of 30 or 50 every three or four days, and I'll be more
certain that I know them before moving on. The goal is to learn them, not to finish the book as quickly as
possible.

With esperanto, there's not much to report. I still get too scared to speak eo with my esperantist friend when I
run into her; I try, but after "saluton, kiel vi fartas?" I draw a blank. This is partly due to fear (I DO have social
phobia after all) and partly due to a difficulty quickly switching languages. It takes a little time for my brain to
"warm up" to speaking eo if I've just been speaking English, especially if the need for eo is sudden and
unexpected. To help with this, I've been practicing switching thinking in all three of my languages- a few
sentences in one, then the next, etc. Not sure if it's working yet.

I also am hoping to make a video of me speaking eo and post it to youtube soon. I just found out how to record
with my computer's built-in camera, so I still have to play around a bit and then after I make the vid I have to
learn how to upload it. But if all goes well, this could become a good way for me to practice talking.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 55 of 55
26 December 2010 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Well December is almost over so it's time to make my final post in this log. I had a few things I wanted to finish
up between my last post and this one, and mostly they did not happen. I don't feel too bad about it though-
work has really been doing a number on me emotionally, so I've been doing almost nothing remotely productive
at all lately, language study or otherwise, so I don't want to beat myself up about it. In the new year I will try to
find ways to keep myself energetic and focused after work so I can get more done.

So it's time to look back at my goals and see what I've accomplished!

Japanese Goals for 2010
Overall fluency target: B1 or B2
- Be able to follow the plotline of a drama without subtitles
- Learn all 2000 most common kanji
- Complete Genki 2
- Dramatically increase the size of my vocabulary (using Smart.FM's core 2000 & 6000
series)
- Be able to hold a basic conversation comfortably (e.g, improve my speaking)
- Become able to read short stories in Japanese with infrequent help from a dictionary

Esperanto Goals for 2010
Overall fluency target: C2 or near-native
- Finish reading Gerda Malaperis, etc.
- Pass all Lernu's exams
- Develop better speaking ability
- Become able to comfortably and easily express myself in written exchanges
- Increase vocabulary, including some more specialized vocabulary about science and medicine

French Goals for 2010
Overall fluency target: A1
-become able to converse on basic topics
-Have a comfortable grasp of conjugation, gender, and lenition
-Be able to read in French with help from a dictionary

Did I meet my goals?
A fair number of them, yes, although some I fell just short of and others I totally failed at. The big one would be
French, which I completely failed at in general and then decided to postpone indefinitely.
In Japanese, I achieved my overall fluency goal of B1, completed the entire Core 2000 series, and became able to
follow anime well enough without subtitles that it's now actually possible for me to enjoy it that way. That said, I
learned only 500 of the Joyou Kanji, cannot read very well yet, and can't understand enough of the complicated
aspects of an anime series to be able to follow the plot fully, and furthermore, I am still practically paralyzed in
an actual conversation. I would say I completed about half my goals.

Am I happy with this?
Yes, pretty much. Having done more would have been great but I've made pretty significant progress and I really
think I can get myself to a level I'm happy with next year. More speaking practice, finishing the kanji and starting
to read a lot, and picking up more advanced vocab is really all I need. I think I can do that.

In Esperanto, I've reached a point where I can comfortably call myself fluent. Sure, I don't get every nuance, and I
don't know every single root, and I desperately need to find opportunities to actually speak it; but I am fluent
nonetheless. I use eo every single day. My Facebook interface is in Esperanto and I have about 30 esperantist
friends there whose posts I read and comment on. Just today, one of them linked me to an anime where a
character sings in Esperanto in one scene, and I understood the whole song. I listen to Radio Verda and read
Libera Folio on a regular basis, and sometimes check out articles on Vikipedio. I enjoy Esperanto jokes, especially
puns. Therefore I don't really mind that I barely met any of my original goals for this language. I only read one
book- Gerda Malaperis- to its conclusion, although I read a few chapters of Alicio en Mirlando and a few pages of
Fajron Sentas Mi Interne. I only passed the A exam, although I am confident I will pass the B exam on my next
try (the only thing that got me was the int/ont/ant affixes). I can now easily express myself in writing, but not at
all in spoken exchanges, and I did not learn any science or medicine vocab. I may put some effort into meeting
these goals next year... but honestly, I don't expect to actively study Esperanto again. I'm fairly happy with what
I've already achieved, and just using it will slowly improve it anyway. I will just seek out more means of using it.

French was, as previously stated, a total failure. I would like to give it another shot next year, but I don't know if
I'll have time- the method I think it would be best for me to try is a very time-intensive one, and I want to focus
primarily on Japanese since I will be taking it at college, so I don't know what will happen here. French may be
put off yet again. I will not include it in my 2011 log until such time as I know for sure I will be making the
attempt.

So now that I've gone over my experiences with the languages themselves, I have one more thing to ask myself:
What else have I learned?
This year was not only a series of language learning experiences. It was a series of learning experiences in all
spheres of my life. I've become much more diligent, more patient, more optimistic, and I've broadened my
horizons, thanks to my language studies this year. I've grown out of some old bad habits that used to limit my
ability to self-study, and I've encountered some more serious problems that I hope to overcome soon, too. And
of course I've learned about what methods I get the most out of, and how I personally should approach self-
study in the future. I think I've gotten good enough at this to be able to get a lot more out of my next year of
language study and shoot ahead into trilingualism- maybe even beyond! And above all, I've learned to be happy
with what I've achieved even when the frustration sets in and I feel like I'm making no progress at all. Even if I
were to stop studying languages forever, this year has affected me permanently in the way I think about other
parts of the world and other people, and the way I think and act. In that sense, it truly has been an incredible
success.

See you all in 2011!

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version