vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6756 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 25 of 44
24 January 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Personnaly I prefer Spanish , because I can I have more chances to meet Hispano-hablantes on a train trip than esperantoj-blabantoj. I can talk with spaniards,argentinians,chileans,portoricans,mexicans,colombi ans etc etc..
And also a living language has a history,a literature , a "soul", a poetry.
How can sounds translated the beauty of "Don Qujote de la Mancha" in esperanto .
From " En un lugar de la Mancha de cujo nombre non quiero acordarme no hace mucho tiempo que vivia un hidalgo de los con lanzas in astilleros.." to " In una locatoj de la Manchoj vivoj un hidalgoj de queloj con lanzoj in rastrelloj ." does'n't sounds weird?
Esperanto-speakers have the right to practice their language and even to raise kids of mothertongue esperanta and also to try to convert people to learn esperanto
like any other group like hare-krishna or jeova witness but cannot demand to the world to use esperanto as lingua franca . After 123 years the world has already answered and esperanto and all the other conlangs included interlingua are games for little groups .You need to go to a congress or a esperanto club to speak it.
Anyway "De Gustibus no disputandum est""there is no disputing about tastes”
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 26 of 44
24 January 2010 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Stop posting invented phrases and claiming it's Esperanto; it seems every single other forum member knows more about Esperanto than you, who are writing about it.

Also, the term for Esperanto speakers is "Esperanto-parolantoj" or "Esperantistoj". -oj is the ending for plural nouns, not for everything. It's pronounced as in the English word "boy".

Esperanto has a history, has a literature, a soul and poetry. It is neither a game nor a religion. Please read the previous threads on Esperanto in this forum, because forum rules discourage having the same arguments over and over again.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5317 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 27 of 44
24 January 2010 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:

Sprachprofi is saying that learning Spanish is logically equivalent to learning Interlingua, because a) it is not any easier to learn, and b) the same benefits are gained by learning Spanish. Both of these are false when you compare Esperanto to Spanish because a) it is approximately 10x easier to learn, and b) you can talk to (some) people in China, Japan, Iran, and other places where Interlingua is not useful.

Surely there are many more speakers of Spanish in China than speakers of Esperanto! In any case, if you want to speak to foreigners, what's wrong with English? It has several hundred times more speakers around the world.

doviende wrote:

I'm learning Swedish, but I have no real chance of meeting any Swedish speakers on the train unless I go to certain parts of northern Europe, but Swedish is not a "game". I could also meet Esperanto speakers by traveling to Cuba (Universala Kongreso 2010) or Mongolia (Asian Esperanto conference for 2010) this year, among others.

The difference is that there is a region (containing some of the richest countries in the world), where almost everyone will be a native speaker of Swedish, or something very close to it. There may be the occasional Esperanto conference, but then there are also conferences for Klingon, Lojban and other languages. You may want to think that Esperanto will one day somehow become a world language, but it is absurd to argue from utility AT PRESENT. The only place you'll ever meet Esperanto speakers is at Esperanto gatherings! That may be fun (especially if you don't have another hobby that brings you into contact with other people) but please don't claim that it proves Esperanto's usefulness!

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5218 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 28 of 44
24 January 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
I don't mind conlangs, but when there's a conlang that was made (or has followers that want it to be) a lingua franca, I see that as really stupid. 1st off, you don't "make" a lingua franca, they just kind of happen. Will Esperanto or another conlang become the lingua franca of the world one day? I don't know. I just hate the attitude "this is the best language because this guy made it to be the best." I think making conlangs for books, games, secret communication, etc is pretty cool and definitely increases one's understanding of languages, but trying to make one that will "take over the world" is stupid, as are the one's who think it will.
I'm not saying I hate Esperanto speakers, just the one's who think it's the best thing ever and will replace all other languages.
I think it'd be better for the world to have many languages and multilingual citizens, because it would give people many ways to express themselves as opposed to being stuck in one language and having that limit the ways they can express themself...

what a wall of text...

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6756 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 29 of 44
25 January 2010 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Ich penso that la beste conlang ist l'Europanto invented du poliglotta Diego Marani
por Europanto te speakare, tu basta mixare alles wat tu know in extranges linguas. Wat tu know nicht, keine worry, tu invente !
Eine Conlang ist buena if est a declarè juego , Je thinko that Esperantistas, interlinguistas and otros con-lag-istas etre demasiado serious !
Porquè eine lingua universaaal ?? Ist bettero avoir muchas blablas in diese welt,
autrefois we llegamos bored! Desculpe a tout le world ! Ich wanted seulement juegar.
Adeus
2 persons have voted this message useful

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5325 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 30 of 44
25 January 2010 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Just to get back to the original question.

JCF wrote:
I understand that feelings may run a little hot on this topic, but I don't want to start an argument.

It seems to be difficult to mention Esperanto without starting an argument here...

JCF wrote:
I don't desire a debate about the philosophies of the respective languages. I just need some advice.

I think the philosophies of the two languages are important to consider when deciding which to learn. Interlingua was designed to be able to be passively understood by anyone who speaks a Romance language. Esperanto was designed to be as easy as possible to learn. I don't speak Interlingua, but my impression is that Esperanto will almost certainly be easier for you to learn to use actively.

JCF wrote:
I have taken Spanish for five years, and I am at the point where I can read books written for native speakers. I want to learn a conlang, but I don't know if I should learn Esperanto or Interlingua. To give you some more information, I hope to learn more romance languages in the future (starting with either Italian or Portuguese, probably). But first, I want to learn a conlang (because they're simple and interesting). Which would be the simpler to learn? Which would be the best to choose overall?

If your main motivation is that you find conlangs interesting, I think Esperanto will be the more rewarding choice, in part because of its flexible, isolating structure that gives you great opportunities to be playful and creative in your active use of the language, and because there is a lot more literature in Esperanto, and a lot more opportunities to use it actively.

I've gained a lot from learning Esperanto, mainly because I think the language itself is so elegantly and beautifully constructed. Learning, speaking, reading, writing and listening to Esperanto is quite a different experience to learning and using another foreign language. The kind of fluency you can gain in Esperanto is somehow deeply satisfying in a way I haven't experienced with other languages (and I speak Norwegian to a very high level of fluency). You can always follow your basic urge to generalise patterns, and don't have to remember exceptions to rules. This is generally only pointed out in the context of Esperanto being easy to learn, but it has quite a profound effect on the way it feels to speak it when you get to a higher level.

I do personally support the wider goals of the finvenkisma part of the Esperanto movement, because I see serious problems and unfairness in the current situation of English and English-speakers having such a dominant position, and I see Esperanto as a good solution to this problem. You don't have to sign up to this philosophy to gain a great deal from learning and using the language though.

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5317 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 31 of 44
25 January 2010 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
davidwelsh wrote:

If your main motivation is that you find conlangs interesting, I think Esperanto will be the more rewarding choice, in part because of its flexible, isolating structure that gives you great opportunities to be playful and creative in your active use of the language, and because there is a lot more literature in Esperanto, and a lot more opportunities to use it actively.

If you just want to play around, why not go for Lojban? It's probably the craziest one around, and I'm sure it's just as regular as Esperanto.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 32 of 44
25 January 2010 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
davidwelsh wrote:
Learning, speaking, reading, writing and listening to Esperanto is quite a different experience to learning and using another foreign language. The kind of fluency you can gain in Esperanto is somehow deeply satisfying in a way I haven't experienced with other languages (and I speak Norwegian to a very high level of fluency). You can always follow your basic urge to generalise patterns, and don't have to remember exceptions to rules.

I had the same experience! I believe the "deeply satisfying" part is not related to its regularity though, but to the freedom of expression which you acquire, which you don't have in other foreign languages and usually not even in your native language.

For example, an online student of mine recently had sound issues, everything was coming across in a weirdly garbled way. He said "Mi provos malstrangigi mian sonon". Literally, that is "I will try to un-strangify my sound". Note neither of us had heard the verb "malstrangigi" before, it was an ad-hoc creation and fit perfectly in this context, much better than the English word "to fix" that he was looking for. If you try and say something like "to un-strangify" or maybe "to un-strange" or even "to make normal" in your native language, people look at you weirdly, except if you're writing poetry maybe. If you say it in a foreign language, people will correct you, some may even be annoyed at your presumption. Esperanto feels like your own language because you can express yourself in new ways like this, in fact you're encouraged to do so (the "bona lingvo" standard).

Edited by Sprachprofi on 25 January 2010 at 6:44pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version