Joined 5325 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 33 of 44
25 January 2010 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
davidwelsh wrote:

If your main motivation is that you find conlangs interesting, I think Esperanto will be the more rewarding choice, in part because of its flexible, isolating structure that gives you great opportunities to be playful and creative in your active use of the language, and because there is a lot more literature in Esperanto, and a lot more opportunities to use it actively.

If you just want to play around, why not go for Lojban? It's probably the craziest one around, and I'm sure it's just as regular as Esperanto.

Lojban is certainly fascinating, but it's designed to be completely logical - and is therefore fiendishly difficult. You can reach basic fluency in Esperanto in a few months, so if you're interested in a language you can actually learn and start using rapidly, rather than in formal logic and the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, Esperanto's going to be the better bet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6756 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 34 of 44
26 January 2010 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
Try Toki Pona!
Toki Pona is a simple language designed to express the most, using the least. The entire language has only 123 words and 14 sounds. The grammar, although different from English, is very regular and easy to learn.
en.tokipona.org
1 person has voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6756 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 

Message 35 of 44
26 January 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Going back to the initial question of Jfc
Which would be the simplest to learn? Which would be the best to choose overall?

Jfc with who you want communicate with the conlang you will choose?

I think Toki Pona is the easiest simplest . Only 123 words and 14 sounds.
but you will communicate only with toki pona speakers (not many probably)
en.tokipona.org

The world's more famous conlang is Esperanto and allows you to talk with other esperanto-speakers (etimated 3 millions) mainly in national and international meetings and local associations. www.esperanto.org

You already speak Spanish , a romance language. If you learn Interlingua that is easy, with you can communicate with some hundred millions of people that speak Italian,spanish , portuguese,french , catalan, roumanian etc even if they don't know the existence of interlingua.
www.interlingua.com

If you need to communicate with about 400 millions of people (speakers of Belorussian, Bosnan, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Polish, Russian, Ruthenian, Slovak, Slovenian, Serbian,Ukrainian etc )you can learn a simple language that they can understand even if they don't know the existence of it. You can learn Slovio the pan slavic language .
www.slovio.com

It depends on what you needto do .
3 persons have voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6756 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 

Message 36 of 44
27 January 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
I forgot Folkspraak intended to be understood any native speaker of a Germanic language,(English, Dutch,German, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish) making it serve as a sort of lingua franca amongst the Germanic languages community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folkspraak#Syntax

So with Interlingua , Slovio and Folkspraak you cover all the western world.

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5838 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 37 of 44
17 June 2010 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:

Esperanto is for 60 % Romance, for 30 % Germanic and for 10 % Slavic.

^^ Wow. Just like English!!!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Disputulo
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5105 days ago

10 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto

Message 38 of 44
19 June 2010 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Spending a lot of time in the archives recently, John? It is generally considered bad
form to bump threads that are 6 months old without adding any real value. I too have
spent a lot of time reading old discussions, but I avoid chiming in when the discussion
has been over for several months. :)

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6164 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto

Message 39 of 44
13 July 2010 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
Interlingua would be easier for you to learn, as it's probably 90% the same as Spanish. Esperanto, on the other hand, would give you a better understanding of the mechanics of language and would give you something different to learn (Esperanto is definitely a lot less structurally similar to the Romance languages than Interlingua). Plus, Interlingua really isn't a speaking language; by design, it's a reading language.

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6164 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto

Message 40 of 44
13 July 2010 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
John Smith wrote:
Fasulye wrote:

Esperanto is for 60 % Romance, for 30 % Germanic and for 10 % Slavic.

^^ Wow. Just like English!!!

No way. I'd say that English is 70% Germanic and 30% Romance in vocabulary and 99% Germanic in grammar (there are a few Latin influences). AFAIK, English doesn't have much of a direct Slavic influence at all.

Also, I believe that estimate is a bit off for Esperanto as well. There aren't that many Slavic words in Esperanto: lukti, barakti, kolbaso, etc. (words like ĉu and celo are often thought of as having a Slavic origin, but it's more reasonable that they came from Germanic languages). There's no way it's 10% of the total vocabulary though. 30% Germanic also sounds a bit high; there are some German and Yiddish words, a few words from English, and allegedly a pair from Swedish, but I don't believe a third of the vocabulary is Germanic. Structurally, of course, Esperanto has little in common with any Indo-European language.

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version