Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 25 of 51
18 April 2010 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Well goo luck with your exams and see you back soon!
About the "teach yourself"series: I don't know them but if they're that cheap they can probably make a good complement/ review for something more solid, but not as a standalone course...
1 person has voted this message useful

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 26 of 51
02 May 2010 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
Hey, sorry for lack of updates.

I finished exams on Monday. This week I went to my girlfriend´s house and was able to practice some with her father since he usually only speaks it. My girlfriend said she was quite impressed with how I was speaking because she had never heard me speak like that or in a conversation. So yeah it was good times and I understood most of what he said exept a few words which were really new to me.

Starting next week with two summer classes I´ll be able to study/practice everyday and am looking forward to it so much more updates to come..

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 27 of 51
04 May 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Wow, you really seem to be doing well! Go team Gordo!

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 28 of 51
13 May 2010 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
It´s been a while sorry for lack of updates. Has been going pretty good lately and I´m able to practice everyday now since both my classes I have with a good friend of mine from the Ukraine who speaks Russian as first language. I´ve also been going through the New Penguin book still. Also started getting more into LingQs which imo are a great method. So.. yeah I guess it´s going pretty good so far for first week of classes. Hopefully by end of June I´ll have a better grasp of cases and be able to distinguish no problem.

When July comes around I will work in some German and maybe some review of Dutch too but stay on Russian all the way.

Edited by bramsterdam on 13 May 2010 at 6:58am

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 29 of 51
21 May 2010 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Hey back again,

Well the past 2 weeks I´ve been able to practice speaking a bit more with a friend with whom I´m taking classes, he´s from Ukraine. I have really been trying to get into the LingQs more this past week as well, listening to the convo and have printed out the script to follow along with it. I´m applying for Kazakh visa tomorrow or Monday, then next week will hopefully have my flight booked for the summer. Can´t wait, by then I guess my level will be higher than it is now. I can hold a basic conversation no problem, and understand a lot more now when I listen in to my friends speaking together, but I´m still hesistant to add something in or am searching for the right way to say it and yeah.. Ah well its coming along nicely. I´m still using/reviewing the New Penguin Russian book. I´m also waiting on a book to come in from amazon "Intermediate Russin Grammar" by Stpehen Fleming or something like that, seemed interesting so. Oh yeah I installed Anki too so I will see how that goes.
Even taking 2 classes right now I have been able to squeeze in time for Russian on most days, but the days where I don´t get study much I still listen to LingQ convos, and practice or just chat with my friend and practice there so.
Come end of June though I´m finished classes on the 22nd I believe, then I will have lots of time on my hands so I plan on keeping the Russian going but a bit more and also faster than I am now. Also try to get some German in. While I´m at it I could probably review some Dutch just because I don´t speak it often enough and I´m going back to NED in August.

I looked into some German stuff the other night and thought about how much easier it would be to drop Russian and go at German full speed haha. But Russian is my main goal and in September I might take a German class at the university so we´ll see..

Anyways I hope you guys are still coming along strong and keeping at it!

All the best guys!!

Edited by bramsterdam on 21 May 2010 at 5:50am

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 30 of 51
27 May 2010 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Hoping you guys are all still progressing and doing well!

Today I am booking a flight to Amsterdam for August and applied for my Kazakh visa so I should be going to KZ in middle of August, can´t wait and can´t wait to see how well I can get around with what I´ve learned so far.

I continue to listen to many LingQs which are proving a good method. I´m now on chapter 20-21 of the new penguin book after taking a bit of a pause from it for a mid term.

I don´t really have much else to update though right now unfortunately, hopefully next week better news.

All the best

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 31 of 51
05 June 2010 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
Wow, you seem to be the only one of us left standing. Now I feel guilty. I understand you wanting to switch to German, especially if you know Dutch, it must be easily understood. Russian is starting to frustrate me because of the whole opacity, different language family situation. I've been peeking towards Portuguese and Italian for the same reason: it just seems so easy to learn it when you can understand most of it already (read at least) and sort of see how even the rest is related to a language you know. You have good incentive to learn Russian though so I'm sure you'll be brave and have a great trip to Kazakhstan!

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 32 of 51
07 June 2010 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
Hey sorry for lack of updates. To be honest I haven´t been using the New Penguin book last week or so.. just been listening to LingQs and practicing, or trying to practice everyday with my Ukrainian friend. A book I ordered a month ago finally came in though, Intermediate Russian Grammar by Stephen Le Fleming. Seems to have some really good points in it and lessons to check out. Its hard for me to study right now though because I have final exams coming up in just under 2 weeks so I should put more focus on that right now and back to Russian after the exams. Which is partially why I´ve only been listening to LingQs and watching Projectperishilton on youtube (Russian political comedy show). I can usually have conversations with my girlfriend´s father/mother no problem now though which is pretty cool. Once exams are done I´ll be done school until the fall so then I can finally not worry about it and really go 100% into Russian and maybe some German on the side, who knows.

What I hate about Russian isn´t the different language family, its more like, the 6 cases and which one to use, how to change the word endings according to the case etc. Becomes frustrating sometimes but I guess it comes with practice.

This summer I will almost for sure make it to Kazakhstan, I´m waiting for my visa to come in. Aside from that I want to make it to one of these countries: Turkey, Morocco, Romania, Greece, Ukraine. Any of you been to one of those before? I think I´ll be able to make it to at least one of them, and of course I will make it to Germany for a few days like every year.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version