Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 33 of 51
23 June 2010 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Hey guys,

Sorry but the last two weeks I have been very busy wrapping up school semester. Today was last exam and I´m all done now.

So, starting tomorrow or Thursday I´ll be going at it full speed everyday I hope for Russian and within 2 weeks will start with some German and/or Dutch review. I was also pondering ordering a Serbo-Croatian for fun as I might go there this summer, yet to decide. Stuck deciding where to go, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, etc.. dunno.

Other good news, pretty sure my Visa has come in from the Kazakh embassy today unfortunately I can´t go pick it up from the post until tomorrow. Wish me luck.

1 person has voted this message useful

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 34 of 51
28 June 2010 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
I received my visa!! Kazakhstan see you this August!!

Any suggestions on where to go besides there in Europe? I have a list of places I´d like to check out but can´t decide which 3 or 4 places..

Istanbul, Bulgaria, Romania, Belgrade, Budapest, Kiev, Innsbruck/Tirol, Zaghreb

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 35 of 51
10 July 2010 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
Sorry again for lack of updates. I´m just pretty busy lately working everyday. But I´m still going at it! Started out the Intermediate Russian Grammar book the other day. Also been going strong with the Dutch grammar one just for some review for next month. The Russian is coming along but there are some days where I feel like I´m still at square one, but others where I feel like I´m very advanced. IMO though it´s definitely a language which takes a few years to master, if not more.
Also I think my route for August will look something like this, Dusseldorf-Almaty, Almaty-Dusseldorf, Dusseldorf-Belgrade, Belgrade-Zaghreb-Budapest-back to NL. Can´t wait!

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 36 of 51
03 August 2010 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
I´m flying out tomorrow, all the best guys!

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 37 of 51
04 September 2010 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Hey

Arrived back in Canada yesterday afternoon.. I´m feeling pretty depressed being back where I live and not still in Holland with my family but I guess time flies and I´ll be back soon.

Kazakhstan was awesome, and I learned or improved, or maybe just finally got a good change to use my Russian and for 3 weeks it was pretty much all I spoke. Was great!

Also I moved my Dutch level up to advanced, this year in Holland I had not one problem communicating with anyone or about anything. Last year this wasn´t quite so..

Next week I´m back at university and am going to see if it´s possible to fit in a German class. If not then I´ll still be studying Russian on the side, and probably German on my own.

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 38 of 51
04 September 2010 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Oh, and I never made it to Budapest or Belgrade, decided to stay an extra week in Kazakhstan.

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 39 of 51
09 September 2010 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
I decided to enroll in a German class at the university. Hopefully when I graduate in 2 years (hopefully!) in addition to my bachelors I´ll have a German certificate, which is what I´m aiming for now. I will keep updating this log for Russian progress. Then maybe make a separate one for my German class(es).. not sure yet.

Had a conversation today with a Kazakh friend strictly in Russian, the only two times I had to ask for a word was when I was describing the top floor I couldn´t find the word and had to ask. Also when I had to say the word virgin I couldn´t think of it. So yeah, only having to ask for 2 words I think was pretty good and I have made an improvement. I just need to speak more!

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 40 of 51
16 September 2010 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
No big updates yet really, past week have been busy with classes. German class is going really well though so far hopefully by December my German level will be somewhat higher haha. As for Russian well I havn´t been studying too much but have been practicing everyday conversing with my friends and it´s getting better and better I´m finding.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version