Rosetta Stone Warning

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
53 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>
habadzi
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 5388 days ago

70 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Hindi, French, German, Italian, Ancient Greek, Modern Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Indonesian, Bengali, Albanian, Nepali

Message 25 of 53
15 April 2010 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Whoever figured out how to market RS is a genius. You see the Italian village boy with this under his arm, with only one chance to enchant the american girl of his dreams. All the airports have it of course. And people have heard it. Just yesterday a colleague was going to buy it, and of course she got immedicately redirected towards other options.
Just marketing really is all that matters. I wonder if they have not messed with the reviews of amazon.com
1 person has voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 26 of 53
15 April 2010 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
habadzi wrote:
Whoever figured out how to market RS is a genius. You see the Italian village boy with this under his arm, with only one chance to enchant the american girl of his dreams. All the airports have it of course. And people have heard it. Just yesterday a colleague was going to buy it, and of course she got immedicately redirected towards other options.
Just marketing really is all that matters. I wonder if they have not messed with the reviews of amazon.com
I went to a Barnes and Noble today and got a $6 Spanish Grammar book, but I could not believe the amount of RS crap they had. They had some in the foreign language section (of course), on a stand not too far from the language section, and behind the check out counter.
But yes, they do have marketing genius.

hypersport
United States
Joined 5695 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 

Message 27 of 53
15 April 2010 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
When I decided to learn Spanish on my own 4 years ago, I bought Rosetta stone 1 and 2, Latin America version.

I think I spent like $350.00. Yeah, it was expensive, but I was comparing that with the price of classes at the University and I thought why not.

I really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. I was using it right away talking with natives and using the stuff that I was learning. I think it comes down to how much someone really wants something.

Sure, there's other good courses. I put LSLC and FSI at the top of my list and have done them both several times, but Rosetta Stone isn't as bad as some say. True, it's overpriced but if you've got the money, it can be another good tool in your bag.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5217 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 28 of 53
15 April 2010 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
I'm surprised how many language learners don't know how to find these software courses on-line for free. Sure it's not exactly legal...
4 persons have voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 

Message 29 of 53
16 April 2010 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
hypersport wrote:

I really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. I was using it right away talking with natives and using the stuff that I was learning. I think it comes down to how much someone really wants something.

You can talk right away with natives with any half-decent Spanish course (although you will be limited as to what you can say, of course).

Delodephius wrote:
I'm surprised how many language learners don't know how to find these software courses on-line for free. Sure it's not exactly legal...

Some people don't want to bother with the illegality and risk getting caught, have moral objections, etc. etc.
But I do get some stuff from torrents (FSI and some other stuff).
2 persons have voted this message useful

C6Silver
United States
Joined 5323 days ago

6 posts - 12 votes
Studies: French

Message 30 of 53
16 April 2010 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
I don't believe that RS can prohibit the re-sale of their product. This is the same issue facing people who re-sell computer and console games and even though those companies don't like it, it is legal. This is based on the First Sale Doctrine which permits the sale of an original copy of software as a full transfer of ownership. I do not believe that RS, nor any other software company, has legal grounds to prevent your re-sale of the original copy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

TerryW
United States
Joined 6171 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 

Message 31 of 53
17 April 2010 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
habadzi wrote:
You see the Italian village boy with this under his arm, with only one chance to enchant the american girl of his dreams.

Really? 'Cause over here they have just the opposite; an American farm boy and an Italian model.

And it kinda looks a little something like this:

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6182 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 53
17 April 2010 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
C6Silver wrote:
I don't believe that RS can prohibit the re-sale of their product. This is the same issue facing people who re-sell computer and console games and even though those companies don't like it, it is legal. This is based on the First Sale Doctrine which permits the sale of an original copy of software as a full transfer of ownership. I do not believe that RS, nor any other software company, has legal grounds to prevent your re-sale of the original copy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

Rosetta Stone says they sell the license to use the product. And in the EULA it states that the license to use their products is non-transferable.

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version