Joined 5322 days ago

6 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 33 of 53
17 April 2010 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
goosefrabbas wrote:
C6Silver wrote:
I don't believe that RS can prohibit the re-sale of their product. This is the same issue facing people who re-sell computer and console games and even though those companies don't like it, it is legal. This is based on the First Sale Doctrine which permits the sale of an original copy of software as a full transfer of ownership. I do not believe that RS, nor any other software company, has legal grounds to prevent your re-sale of the original copy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

Rosetta Stone says they sell the license to use the product. And in the EULA it states that the license to use their products is non-transferable.

I am not a lawyer, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

The EULA can say whatever it wants. It can say that by using their product you sign over rights to your house. Of course that is ridiculous, but the point is that just because a EULA says it doesn't make it legally binding. I think copyright law is pretty clear here which is why PC and console game companies aren't able to shut down the used sale of their products. Believe me, they don't like GameStop or anyone else selling second hand copies. If it were a simple matter of calling the software a license, this industry (which is bigger than Hollywood) would have done it a long time ago. Instead some products utilize ways to tie your installation of the product to an on-line account thus any secondhand installation wouldn't work.

Again, I am not a lawyer, but I don't see how RS is any different than Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. In the link I provided in my original response, many legal cases were sited which disallowed the kind of plea RS seems to be making (from what I read in this thread). Having checked, I do continue to see used copies of Rosetta Stone and others being sold so frankly I don't know if there is a real issue here or if someone is just jumping the gun over a potential problem.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kounotori
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5157 days ago

136 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 34 of 53
17 April 2010 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
TerryW wrote:
habadzi wrote:
You see the Italian village boy with this under his arm, with only one chance to enchant the american girl of his dreams.

Really? 'Cause over here they have just the opposite; an American farm boy and an Italian model.

And it kinda looks a little something like this:

A brilliant parody of that was published in the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2009/04/13/090413sh_shouts_fr azier
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5824 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 35 of 53
17 April 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
C6Silver wrote:
Again, I am not a lawyer, but I don't see how RS is any different than Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. In the link I provided in my original response, many legal cases were sited which disallowed the kind of plea RS seems to be making (from what I read in this thread). Having checked, I do continue to see used copies of Rosetta Stone and others being sold so frankly I don't know if there is a real issue here or if someone is just jumping the gun over a potential problem.

I think this is why RS are trying to punt an "on-line" course now. That way, they never, ever sell you the software!
1 person has voted this message useful

habadzi
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 5387 days ago

70 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Hindi, French, German, Italian, Ancient Greek, Modern Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Indonesian, Bengali, Albanian, Nepali

Message 36 of 53
17 April 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
I spent all evening yesterday digitizing 18 tapes of Sinhalese from 1983 (original book around 1976). The courses of that era, including the FSI that are now in the public domain, are incredibly detailed. Word for word they explain and repeat. Today's courses, like RS, say 'guess from the context, it's good for you'. It's nonsense. I have studied about 20 languages over the years, and in terms of memorabiility there is just no comparison. The more time you spend, the greater the detail, the more likely you are to remember the content. Yes, it's boring. But this how our memory works, and there is no substitution for that. But of course the various companies that produce language courses see that they can put little content and let learners 'guess' or just trust that most people will buy and not go through with them.
For anyone here learning a language, FIRST LOOK FOR THE OLD, BORING, EXPLICIT COURSES.
12 persons have voted this message useful

Master Moron
United States
Joined 5397 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes

Message 37 of 53
17 April 2010 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Kounotori wrote:
TerryW wrote:
habadzi wrote:
You see the Italian village boy with this under his arm, with only one chance to enchant the american girl of his dreams.

Really? 'Cause over here they have just the opposite; an American farm boy and an Italian model.

And it kinda looks a little something like this:

A brilliant parody of that was published in the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2009/04/13/090413sh_shouts_fr azier

"The Page You Are Looking For Could Not Be Found."
1 person has voted this message useful

dolly
United States
Joined 5603 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 38 of 53
17 April 2010 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Master Moron wrote:

"The Page You Are Looking For Could Not Be Found."

here......
2 persons have voted this message useful

Slacker
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5266 days ago

62 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English
Studies: German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Arabic (classical)
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 53
06 February 2011 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
habadzi wrote:
On ebay there are now several Rosetta Stone sets for sale, though the official site also
advertises.
It's comforting that everyone here agrees on Rosetta Stone. have successfully talked people out of buying it in
airports. People can't learn specific information by looking at a vague scene. I saw the beginning of Turkish:
"Adam icior" and 4 people drinking,including a man. Ok, drinking must be icior. But what is Adam? Not a
turkish man's name, so you can't choose the man's picture. Furthermore in Hebrew there Ben-Adam and in
Urdu there is admi, so this extra knowledge ensures that the silly example does not work.
And after paying $500 people don't own the program??? Wow!

Habadzi,

"adam içiyor" = "the man is drinking" in Turkish. I'm almost finished with RS Italian v.3, Level 2, and I've played
with almost all of the other language versions (at least Level 1, Unit 1, Lesson 1), and so I knew exactly which
picture set you're referring to. To be fair, I think that if you had done the whole lesson from the start, you
would have realized that "adam" was man, as opposed to whatever the word for "woman", "boy", and "girl" are.
Additionally, you picked up that "icior" is related to drinking from the picture -- you would have also been able
to deduce whatever the word for "eating" is.

The newer (v.3, and presumably v.4 - although I don't have access to them) versions, unlike the older ones,
actually do progress from zero knowledge, and don't force you to guess (i.e. make a bunch of mistakes) to get
through the first lesson and progress from there.

Also, regarding your Hebrew and Urdu examples. According to dictionary.com, the English word "Adam" is from
the Hebrew: "ādhām" literally, "man". According to dictionaryurdu.com, the Urdu word "aadmi" also means
"man"... so I would think that the knowledge of those two would actually help you learn/remember the Turkish
word for "man".

-Slacker

3 persons have voted this message useful

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5157 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 40 of 53
06 February 2011 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
Rosetta Stone is just a cheap expensive marketing gimmick to get unsuspecting victims
to shell out insane amount of money for something that will never get you too far. Even
if you manage to complete everything they offer. You barely even scratch the level of
A2 to even see the benefits of it.

Naive people (the ones who do buy it), feel that as soon as they complete it that it
will give them fluency that a native would have. Which it never will. Let alone, RS's
bad programming job they did on the software. That it's speech recognition is horrible
at best.

It is very slow and very boring. How will I learn how to ask a supermodel that I want
to bang her brains out on a cliff in some desert country land in some state? Oh right
it doesn't teach you that. How you suppose to learn that from pictures? Sure pictures
are worth a 1000 words and that's the problem with RS. Say a pencil is sitting on a
table. How you suppose to guess if it's talking about a pencil, the table itself, if
they are asking if it's silver, etc.

All the stuff is too ambiguous at best.RS people could careless if you learn it or not.
All they truly care about is the profits they are making for a less than honest
product.

Also how do they expect us to learn a language like we are a baby? I'm sorry, I do not
think like a baby, I never will ever again think like a baby. A baby will pick up
something quicker than an adult. With an adult mind, we always ask why.

Look at this also. Each language is not the same like Rosetta Stone makes it out to be.
German is easy for me to pick up due to English being a Germanic language. But for
people who's native language isn't of an Germanic language it would probably be more
difficult.

It's hard for me to learn French due to it's insane pronunciation. Now if you take a
Spanish or an Italian person, it would be much easier for them to pick it up than me.
Because of their languages being of the Romantic language tree.

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version