ashshea
United States
Joined 5189 days ago

19 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 49
22 March 2010 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Please help! I just started studying Spanish (although I took it in high school- but that
was several years ago) and I'm having trouble with pronouncing the letter "v". Everything
I read says that the Spanish v and b are pronounced identically as a b sound. However,
when I listen to spoken Spanish this does not seem to be the case! For example, go to
www.spanishdict.com and listen to the sound recordings for "vaso" and "bajo". Two
completely different sounds! I'm very confused... What's going on?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 49
22 March 2010 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
What people think language is like is not always what it really is like.

When someone goes into a recording studio to record language examples, they try to speak "correctly", and what they believe to be correct is often not how they would speak naturally.

For example, if you went into a recording studio and were asked to record the words "doctor" and "driver", you might well pronounce the "-er" and "-or" endings differently, when in natural speech you would pronounce them the same. Likewise "-ent"/"-ant" as in "independent" and "observant".

The voices you hear in the dictionary will be out-of-work actors, and won't be well enough trained linguistics to say things in a correct, natural manner.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ajijic10
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 6724 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 3 of 49
22 March 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry about it. I hear both all of the time. I have the letter "B" twice in my name, and whenever I'm asked to spell it, I have to say "B burro". If it was "V" I would use "V vaca".

Where I live in Mexico, it's not unusual to see "llábame" drawn on a dusty car, or a "cerbeza fría" sign on a storefront.

Edited by Ajijic10 on 22 March 2010 at 6:35pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 49
22 March 2010 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
B and V are the same bilabial approximant (both lips almost touch). However, word-initial pronunciation is sometimes a bilabial stop (basically like the English B).

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 5 of 49
22 March 2010 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
I don't believe it's a question of word-initial vs anything else (although a lot of sources claim this).

Spanish makes a non-phonemic* distinction between intervocalic ("between vowels") and non-intervocalic consonants. Intervocalic consonants are more likely to be approximants than their intervocalic counterparts.

This is particularly notable in the sort , where "mandado" becomes "mandatho"[th in English "this"] (the first D is nonintervocalic as it has a consonant on one side of it, the second is intervocalic as it is flanked by vowels). In some places, this is weakened so much that you get left with something like "mandao" [Spanish silent h], and it is this same process that left Portuguese with "mandão".

(This is also related to the Spanish double-R, single-R difference. An intervocalic single R is a flap, a non-intervocalic one is a trill. Put two single Rs together, and neither is intervocalic any more, so the RR has to be a non-intervocalic R, so trilled.)

The idea of initial vs non-initial is not only wrong in that it ignores the intervocalic and non-intervocalic difference in non-initial letters, but there is actually an intervocalic/non-intervocalic difference at the start of words too, because the whole idea of a "word" is arbitrary.

Is "no volveré" one word or two? It only has one stressed syllable, and when the Gipsy Kings sing it, there's an approximant intervocalic V and a non-intervocalic stop V -- "novolveré". All sorts of unstressed clitics can incorporate themselves into words (or not), so it's very uncommon to see any sound that is truly "word-initial".

* Non-phonemic differences mean there is no change in meaning, which means that if you don't make the difference you will still be understood. Unfortunately, if you don't make the difference in pronunciation you might not understand when you are spoken to. It took me a long time to get used to -ao instead of -ado for past participles, because it sounded different.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 6 of 49
22 March 2010 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Spanish makes a non-phonemic* distinction between intervocalic
("between vowels") and non-intervocalic consonants. Intervocalic consonants are more
likely to be approximants than their intervocalic counterparts.

This is particularly notable in the sort , where "mandado" becomes "mandatho"[th
in English "this"] (the first D is nonintervocalic as it has a consonant on one side of
it, the second is intervocalic as it is flanked by vowels). In some places, this is
weakened so much that you get left with something like "mandao" [Spanish silent
h], and it is this same process that left Portuguese with "mandão".

You are probably right. Either that or approximants assimilate in manner. I believe d
is still an approximant when it's at the end of a word after a vowel. How about b?

Cainntear wrote:

(This is also related to the Spanish double-R, single-R difference. An intervocalic
single R is a flap, a non-intervocalic one is a trill.

But not in final position. I don't think you can call single vs. double R to be non-
phonemic because there are distinctive pairs. Therefore, they are distinct phonemes.
(Not that there isn't any kind of assimilation when more than one come together)

Cainntear wrote:
The idea of initial vs non-initial is not only wrong in that it
ignores the intervocalic and non-intervocalic difference in non-initial letters, but
there is actually an intervocalic/non-intervocalic difference at the start of words
too, because the whole idea of a "word" is arbitrary.

Ah, right. A b would no longer begin the word when it's strung together with another
word.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5262 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 7 of 49
22 March 2010 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

You are probably right. Either that or approximants assimilate in manner. I believe d
is still an approximant when it's at the end of a word after a vowel. How about b?

I believe b still is as well.

What my books tell me, is that b and v are pronounced as [b ] only after a pause, m and n, and else as a voiced
bilabial fricative [β].

Edited by tractor on 22 March 2010 at 11:50pm

JacobTM
Groupie
United States
Joined 5407 days ago

56 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 49
22 March 2010 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, in my experience you can say either as an English "b", "v", or anything in between. No one will be confused.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version