ashshea
United States
Joined 5189 days ago

19 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 9 of 49
23 March 2010 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
I've encountered the v pronounced differently from b several times in various places. So
I don't think it's only a problem with that specific recording. I almost wonder if it's a
phoneme difference that native language speakers don't distinguish from and so can't
hear. However, maybe as a native English speaker I can hear it?

Anyway, all I really want to know is this-- if I pronounce the letter v as a v sound and
the letter b as a b sound will I be understood? I am studying psycholinguistics as a grad
student and normally I am very interested in discussing phonemes. But, honestly, right
now I just want to know what to pronounce so that I can move on with my studying. Thanks
for the replies. I appreciate everyone's help!
1 person has voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5400 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 10 of 49
23 March 2010 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
Over the years, I have worked with four different Spanish tutors. All four were native speakers but from four different countries: Puerto Rico, Peru,Venezuela, and, Ecuador. All claimed that their pronunciation of the letter "v" was the correct one. The ones from Ecuador and Puerto Rico pronounced the Spanish letter "v" like the English "v". The one from Peru pronounced it like the English "b". Even when she spoke English, she used that same pronunciation,e.g. talking about her "bista" and how she liked to play "bolly ball on the beach". The tutor from Peru said it was because because she was "better educated". The tutors from Ecuador and Puerto Rico both said it was because they were "from the city and not the countryside." The one from Venezuela said she used both pronunciations because she "did not really think about it any more".
I also consulted two American born Spanish high school teachers, both of whom had studied and lived in Spain. You can probably guess: one taught the "v" sound, the other the "b" sound.
Michele Thomas uses the "b" sound. Margarita Madrigal in Magic Key to Spanish teaches the sounds as used in English. Rosetta Stone seems to use both, in order to get the listener used to regional differences, I suppose.
   Confusing, isn't it? My suggestion is to just pick one and stay with it. When you get to be conversational you can easily switch to match the person with whom you are speaking. You will be understood either way.
Save the worry and anxiety about learning for when you start the subjunctive :-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ajijic10
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 6724 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 11 of 49
23 March 2010 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
psy88 wrote:
Confusing, isn't it? My suggestion is to just pick one and stay with it. When you get to be conversational you can easily switch to match the person with whom you are speaking. You will be understood either way.
Save the worry and anxiety about learning for when you start the subjunctive :-)

Exactly. It's only confusing when you are given advice by people who are speaking from an academic standpoint. I've lived in Mexico for 5 years and I can tell you that some people use more of a "v" pronunciation and some sound a little more like "b". One thing is clear though, it's never as strong as the English "b" as in "bottle". Another sound which cause expats fits here is the "ll". Most native speakers here pronounce "llamo" like an English speaker would say "yamo", but every so often you will hear it pronounced with more of a "yzhamo". It's very pronounced when you hear someone from Argentina, but many Mexicans use it also (albeit not quite as strongly).

Think of it this way. When a person from Boston says "I bought a new ca", you know what they mean. Just like when my Cuban friend says "lo do", I know he is saying "los dos".

Don't worry, you'll be understood either way, I guarantee you as a person who speaks with Spanish speakers daily.

Edited by Ajijic10 on 23 March 2010 at 3:30am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5231 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 49
23 March 2010 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
Ajijic10 wrote:
"cerbeza fría" sign on a storefront.

It's hard for me to believe a native would make that mistake lol (not that I'm doubting you)

I pronounce the "v" in Spanish pretty much as a "b"

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6751 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 13 of 49
23 March 2010 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
I read from assimil and FSI programs, and various pronunciation websites that B and V could be interchanged freely in writing and it would make no difference to pronunciation, that is, they are exactly the same.

Then my Chilean tutor told my class to say "Veinte" with a distinct English V sound. What the?

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6401 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 14 of 49
23 March 2010 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Here is a helpful page on the pronunciation: http://www.studyspanish.com/pronunciation/letter_bv.htm
and this site has a very comprehensive explanation: http://www.champs-elysees.com/products/spanish/spanish_pronu nciation/B-V_phonetics.htm

JacobTM
Groupie
United States
Joined 5407 days ago

56 posts - 67 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 49
23 March 2010 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Johntm wrote:
Ajijic10 wrote:
"cerbeza fría" sign on a storefront.

It's hard for me to believe a native would make that mistake lol (not that I'm doubting you)

It's no more a mistake than Dunkin Donuts or Kool Aid, it's just a different way to spell the same sounds.

Edited by JacobTM on 23 March 2010 at 5:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ashshea
United States
Joined 5189 days ago

19 posts - 19 votes
Studies: German

Message 16 of 49
23 March 2010 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much! I feel better now. :)

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version