IronFist
United States
Joined 6246 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 17 of 49
23 March 2010 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
My first Spanish teacher was from Chile and she said she would confuse B and V in English. She said it was embarrassing because she would mix up the word "vowel" and "bowel" :D

Edited by IronFist on 23 March 2010 at 7:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 18 of 49
23 March 2010 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
You are probably right. Either that or approximants assimilate in manner. I believe d is still an approximant when it's at the end of a word after a vowel. How about b?
I'm not sure that there are any Spanish words that end in B or V.

As for the approximant terminal D...
Sometimes languages are affected by the "ghost" of dead features. I don't know any Latin, but a quick check of the conjugation and declension tables shows no endings that terminate in a D. If Latin couldn't end a word in D, it's possible it's the ghost of a Latin vowel that makes a terminal D (eg Madrid) act as though it's intervocalic.

Arekkusu wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
(This is also related to the Spanish double-R, single-R difference. An intervocalic single R is a flap, a non-intervocalic one is a trill.

But not in final position. I don't think you can call single vs. double R to be non-
phonemic because there are distinctive pairs. Therefore, they are distinct phonemes.
(Not that there isn't any kind of assimilation when more than one come together)

I don't think you've quite understood me: my point is that a double R is precisely that -- two Rs, ie two single R phonemes that both become non-intervocalic and assimilate.

Spanish has always recognised phonemes in it's alphabet, and it is notable that while ch, ll and ñ are considered "letters" by the Real Academia, rr is not.

So I don't think RR is "a" phoneme, but really two identical phonemes.

The interesting thing is in word endings. Latin could finish words with Rs, so it makes sense that Spanish can see it as a proper ending and therefore non-intervocalic, but most terminal Rs in Modern Spanish are in forms that would have been followed by a vowel in the original Latin.

Looks like the simple fact of being able to say it at the end of a word killed off any ghost vowels.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Paz
Chile
Joined 5172 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Spanish*
Studies: English

Message 19 of 49
23 March 2010 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
They are exactly the same

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 20 of 49
23 March 2010 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
I don't think you've quite understood me: my point is that a double R is precisely that -- two Rs, ie two single R phonemes that both become non-intervocalic and assimilate.

Does Spanish have other double consonants or would this be the only one? A single double consonant would be unlikely.

Do you think tierra is in fact tier and ra? This is a single morpheme. (Actually, it's tierr- and -a.)

What about words that start with RR that end up in the second position of a 2 word compound?

Edited by Arekkusu on 23 March 2010 at 9:20pm

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5262 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 21 of 49
23 March 2010 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
You are probably right. Either that or approximants assimilate in
manner. I believe d is still an approximant when it's at the end of a word after a vowel. How about b?
I'm
not sure that there are any Spanish words that end in B or V.

Club, but thats obviously a recent loan.

Cainntear wrote:
As for the approximant terminal D...
Sometimes languages are affected by the "ghost" of dead features. I don't know any Latin, but a quick check of
the conjugation and declension tables shows no endings that terminate in a D. If Latin couldn't end a word in D,
it's possible it's the ghost of a Latin vowel that makes a terminal D (eg Madrid) act as though it's intervocalic.

Some, or maybe most, of the final Ds come from a Latin T. However, I don't think we should look for answers in
Latin here. It's probably rather that in Spanish final D and intervocalic D tend to be pronounced the same way.

Cainntear wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
(This is also related to the Spanish double-R, single-
R difference. An
intervocalic single R is a flap, a non-intervocalic one is a trill.

But not in final position. I don't think you can call single vs. double R to be non-
phonemic because there are distinctive pairs. Therefore, they are distinct phonemes.
(Not that there isn't any kind of assimilation when more than one come together)

I don't think you've quite understood me: my point is that a double R is precisely that -- two Rs, ie two single R
phonemes that both become non-intervocalic and assimilate.

Spanish has always recognised phonemes in it's alphabet, and it is notable that while ch, ll and ñ
are considered "letters" by the Real Academia, rr is not.

So I don't think RR is "a" phoneme, but really two identical phonemes.

The interesting thing is in word endings. Latin could finish words with Rs, so it makes sense that Spanish
can see it as a proper ending and therefore non-intervocalic, but most terminal Rs in Modern Spanish are in
forms that would have been followed by a vowel in the original Latin.

Looks like the simple fact of being able to say it at the end of a word killed off any ghost vowels.

Just to complicate things without contradicting what you just said: R is pronounced like double RR in certain
positions: when it is the first letter of a word and after L, N or S.

Edited by tractor on 23 March 2010 at 9:41pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 22 of 49
23 March 2010 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Just to complicate things without contradicting what you just said: R is pronounced like double RR in certain
positions: when it is the first letter of a word and after L, N or S.

You're either contradicting me or you haven't understood me.

I said that any non-intervocalic R is pronounced as a trill (=like RR), and that R is only a single flap when flanked by vowels on both sides.

Am I wrong?

For example, is "cerdo" pronounced with the full trill (RR) or not?

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5262 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 23 of 49
24 March 2010 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Then I misunderstood you.

Cerdo is usually pronounced with a flap, R.

The R at the beginning of a word is pronounced as a rolled RR, even when it appears between vowels:
la ropa [larropa]
contra + revolucionario = contrarrevolucionario [kontrarreβoluθjonarjo] (The R is in fact doubled in writing.)

Have a look at the article about the letter R in the Real Academia's Diccionario panhispánico de dudas:
http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/
Just enter R in the search field.

Edited by tractor on 24 March 2010 at 12:06am

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5231 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 24 of 49
24 March 2010 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
JacobTM wrote:
Johntm wrote:
Ajijic10 wrote:
"cerbeza fría" sign on a storefront.

It's hard for me to believe a native would make that mistake lol (not that I'm doubting you)

It's no more a mistake than Dunkin Donuts or Kool Aid, it's just a different way to spell the same sounds.
Mark Twain once said (this is my history teachers favorite quote), "I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way."

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version