108 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 41 of 162
19 June 2010 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
Declan1991 wrote:
stout wrote:
I believe that Irish
people would be far better off to learn a mainland European language like French or
German or Spanish.
We do. Anyone who wishes to attend an NUI university has to have passed their Leaving Cert. in one modern European language (a few exceptions, notably Engineering in Galway). 5 to 6 years is plenty to achieve a very good standard provided you are interested.

The other fallacy in your post (besides the dead language) is that forcing people to learn any language makes them learn it. People only learn languages they are interested in, end of story. Most people come out from their schooling after 6 years of serious Irish study plus a few extra, and 6 years of French or German unable to speak them well because they are uninterested, not because there are faults in the education system.

I will point out that the education system here in Ireland and Britain have a lot of
faults when it comes to language learning.The Netherlands and the Scandinavian countries
are light years ahead of us when it comes to foreign language learning.

Nearly all Dutch and Scandinavians can speak near perfect English because they learn
English at an early plus their education systems place a high priority when it comes
to foreign language learning.

As I said before and my view stands that most Irish people would be better off learning a mainland European language rather than Irish because it's far
more useful in the world.Yes people should not be forced to learn a language be it Irish and/or a mainland European language.The Irish govt should stop making Irish a complusory subject and make it voluntary instead.

Edited by stout on 19 June 2010 at 8:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 42 of 162
19 June 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
It always strikes me as sad when people don't want to speak or learn about their own language and cultural heritage. So very sad.

I've often spoken at length about this subject with good Ukrainian friends of mine, as well as people from other countries. They tell me that the Ukrainian language was heavily oppressed in the Soviet Union. Children studied Ukrainian at school, but no-one really spoke it or saw much use for it. Now I'm happy to say there's a big revival, and most of the country is proud to speak Ukrainian once again. One of these friends from eastern Ukraine actually speaks Russian with her parents and lives in England, but still makes the effort to raise her two children in Ukrainian as well. This is not so uncommon these days. Although her native language is Russian, she really tries to support her country and language because she feels a strong sense of Ukrainian identity, and wishes to celebrate and promote her culture and to pass this down to her children too.

Returning to Celtic languages, I've heard many similar stories from Welsh and Scottish friends, all of whom are very proud of their national identity and language(s), and certainly don't wish British rule over the past centuries to vanquish the most significant aspect of their culture from the world forever without trace. I think Wales is a good model to follow, just take a quick glimpse at the stats for Welsh for example, the number of people able to speak Welsh continues to rise with whole new generations of children being raised in both Welsh and English:

"The 2004 Welsh Language Use Survey shows 21.7% of the population of Wales are Welsh speakers. This is an increase from 20.5% in the 2001 census, and from 18.5% in 1991."
[source: Welsh language, Wikipedia]

Now compare this to Irish where only 3% use it mainly at home, and how the Gaeltact (i.e. Irish speaking regions) has ironically dwinlded away to almost nothing since the founding of the first Irish Free State in 1922 when Irish, after centuries of oppression (even though it had long previously been the main vernacular language), was finally and rightly restored as the national language of Ireland.

"Irish is the main community and household language of 3% of the Republic's population (which was estimated at 4,422,100 in 2008)."
[source: Irish language, Wikipedia]

Gaeltacht in Ireland, Irish dominant as community language, 1926

Gaeltacht in Ireland, Irish dominant as community language, 1956

Gaeltacht in Ireland, Irish dominant as community language, 2007

So come on lads and lasses, Irish is the first official language of the Republic of Ireland (as ratified in Article 8, Section 1 of the Constitution of Ireland), as well as an officially recognised language of the European Union since 2007. It's a beautiful and amazingly rich poetic language, reaching soulfully along with music, dance and crafts all the way down to the very roots of the Irish people and their traditions, an incredible colourful heritage spanning over 2000 years.

Don't give up on it all now in favour of quick-fix media moguls and pressure from English speaking economies; this is a time for the Celtic Tiger to draw upon its own rise in economic strength and resources in recent years and celebrate being truly "Irish". So many of our relatives perished in the long struggle against British occupation, with the hope and dream of one day establishing a Free Ireland with free Irish speaking people. What would they say now if they read or heard comments about replacing Irish with Mandarin in schools? I think they would feel very sad too. Let's not forget that Douglas Hyde, the first President of Ireland (1938-1945), was the founder of Conradh na Gaeilge (i.e. the "Gaelic League"), which is the main organisation that promotes the Irish language in Ireland and abroad. He and most of those who drew up the original Proclamation of Independence for the Republic of Ireland, who incidentally were fully fledged members of Conradh na Gaeilge too, fought for the right to express pride and identity in their beautiful native language. We've come so far, such a long way in fact, and have something here we can be really proud of. Let's cherish it; let's not sell out.

Wow! It is not often that I read posts which both bring tears to my eyes, and make me want to go to summer school in Ireland to learn Irish. My only claim to Irishness is an American aunt whose family was Irish, but Norwegians often feel quite close to the Irish. We share our love for beer, for traditionally having been very poor people (which is why Ireland and Norway were proportionally two of the biggest immigrant groups to the US), our love of potatoes and having dominant neighbours who colonized us and oppressed us. Grantedly we were treated a lot better than the Irish, possibly because there were no difference of religion involved, but we were still viewed as backward and as a lot less sophisticated. I absolutely love the Irish accent. If Irish is anything like the accent it must be lovely.

I can understand the point of view that it makes more sense to learn a foreign language, In fact I use the same argument when it comes to the Norwegian attempt at recreating/renewing the older Norwegian language, (nynorsk), and making it compulsory in school. I would still support the efforts of reviving Irish. If the Israelis can, you can.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 43 of 162
19 June 2010 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
stout wrote:
Steady on!...Let's keep it sporting...

You started it. Personally, I think calling someone an ignorant bigot and a moron is far more sporting than calling the language of a group of living people "dead", "useless" and "living in the past". If you can't see that, then you are an ignorant bigot, and I won't apologise for calling a spade a spade.

Quote:
Look at the Netherlands and the Scandinavian
countries they learn English at an early age and nearly all Dutch and Scandinavian
people are near fluent in English plus some knowledge of an other European language.

Yes, but that's different. They started with teachers who speak English. And it's English.  English is cool! It's on the TV, at the cinema, on the radio. It's also a member of the same language family as their native tongues. What happened there happened there, and not anywhere else, for a reason.

Quote:
As for the subject of teaching Irish.In Ireland it's complusory to learn Irish however
only 20% of people can speak Irish most of them only a basic knowledge of Irish.What
my point is that the Irish govt should stop making Irish a complusory subject and make
it voluntary instead.

That's not what you said. If you'd said that first time, I might have agreed with you. However, it's too late because I still believe you meant what you said earlier.

Quote:
As said before it is far more useful for an Irish person to learn a mainland European
language as a second language rather than Irish.It's nothing to do with ideology.
It's to do with pragmatism and realism and my view stands on that.

Being pragmatic, I still can't see where the teachers are coming from, or the academic achievement.

From a pragmatic viewpoint, teaching any other language is as much a waste of time as teaching Irish as the attainment levels will be at least as low as with Irish -- probably lower, because less parents will be able to help with the homework....

(Edit: And again, the wording of your earlier post was hardly dispassionate. For you to say it's pragmatic after such an emotionally charged outburst is hard to believe.)

Edited by Cainntear on 19 June 2010 at 10:20pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 44 of 162
20 June 2010 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
stout wrote:
countries they learn English at an early age and nearly all Dutch and Scandinavian
people are near fluent in English plus some knowledge of an other European language.

Yes, but that's different. They started with teachers who speak English.

I hate to say this, but I have never had a native teacher in any language but Swedish. Nevertheless, I (and most other Swedes) managed to learn some decent English. So, if the Irish school system abandons Gaeilge (God forbid!) in favour of Spanish/French/German/etc, it doesn't have to mean that the students will learn a bad version of the language. They just won't have the "native teacher advantage".

This being said, I believe that Irish is a living language. I've met too many who have (said that they have) spoken Irish as their first language. I've also witnessed pub conversations, attended concerts with bilingual hosts and so on.

I sincerely hope that the language will survive (and grow).
7 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 45 of 162
20 June 2010 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
stout wrote:

Yes, but that's different. They started with teachers who speak English.

I hate to say this, but I have never had a native teacher in any language but Swedish. Nevertheless, I (and most other Swedes) managed to learn some decent English. So, if the Irish school system abandons Gaeilge (God forbid!) in favour of Spanish/French/German/etc, it doesn't have to mean that the students will learn a bad version of the language. They just won't have the "native teacher advantage".

This being said, I believe that Irish is a living language. I've met too many who have (said that they have) spoken Irish as their first language. I've also witnessed pub conversations, attended concerts with bilingual hosts and so on.

I sincerely hope that the language will survive (and grow).

All my English teachers were Norwegians too all the way up to the University (and some of them with the most horrific accents imaginable). The main reasons why we learn English well are undubbed TV, music and the Internet. Give us that amount of exposure in Russian, including the compulsury learning since the 1st grade, and we'll amaze you with our Russian as well. :-)
6 persons have voted this message useful

stout
Ireland
Joined 5180 days ago

108 posts - 140 votes 
Studies: French

Message 46 of 162
20 June 2010 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
[QUOTE=stout] Steady on!...Let's keep it sporting...

You started it. Personally, I think calling someone an ignorant bigot and a moron is far more sporting than calling the language of a group of living people "dead", "useless" and "living in the past". If you can't see that, then you are an ignorant bigot, and I won't apologise for calling a spade a spade.

To:Cainntear...

If I think that Irish is not useful to learn as a language.Then thats my opinion
and perogative and I am perfectly entitiled to that.However running down fellow forum
members because they do not agree with your views is below the belt and breaking the rules of this forum.

So please enough of the disparaging remarks and keep to rules of this forum.

Stout...

Edited by stout on 20 June 2010 at 2:13am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6248 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 47 of 162
20 June 2010 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
stout wrote:
If I think that Irish is not useful to learn as a language.
That opinion you can hold. You cannot state however, that Irish is a dead language. Firstly, it's blatantly untrue, secondly tá cuid mhaith daoine in Éirinn a fhéadann Gaeilge a labhairt, go maith agus go líofa, agus tá sé fíor le rá go bhfuil tú maslach, aineolach, díomasach agus sotalach má dheir tú go bhfuil a dteanga (ár dteanga) marbh. Ní cheapaim go gá duit í a fhoghlaim, ach ní féidir leat a rá go bhfuil sí marbh. Dheimhnigh Pádraig Mac Piaras go "beatha teanga í a labhairt", agus aontáim go huile is go hiomlain leis.

Furthermore, you state (and make up statistics to support) the fact that compulsory education achieves nothing. I agree with you on that. The people who like Irish and who want to learn it, like me, did. Those who didn't, didn't. But you then go on to say that instead a European language should be put in its place. The language makes no difference, people still won't learn it, as evidenced by the fact that they don't learn their second of third language unless they want to. Solfrid, a product of the educational system you praise so highly, has said, exposure and motivation are the reason that huge numbers of students learn English. They want to watch television, listen to pop music, and get involved in forums like this. Compulsory education in school is irrelevant, it just doesn't work.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Aras
Groupie
United States
Joined 6567 days ago

76 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German, Ancient Greek

Message 48 of 162
20 June 2010 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
stout wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
[QUOTE=stout] Steady on!...Let's keep it sporting...

To:Cainntear...

If I think that Irish is not useful to learn as a language.Then thats my opinion
and perogative and I am perfectly entitiled to that.However running down fellow forum
members because they do not agree with your views is below the belt and breaking the rules of this forum.

So please enough of the disparaging remarks and keep to rules of this forum.

Stout...

Irish isn't as useful to learn, from an economic perspective and taking into account the linguistic layout of Europe, as some other European tongues. However, the term 'useful' - while inclusive of economic benefits and the speaker-base - isn't limited to those, as an astute scholar (or, at the very least, a native English speaker) such as yourself must be aware. The term 'useful' could very well be used to denote many more uses, such as conversing with other Irish speakers, obtaining a job related to the language and advancing the status of Irish in Ireland. Those seem to fit the definition of the word 'useful' quite nicely.

Just because you have the right to an opinion doesn't negate the rights of the rest of us to call you out on it.

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version