Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 49 of 162
20 June 2010 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Declan1991 wrote:
Furthermore, you state (and make up statistics to support) the fact that compulsory
education achieves nothing. I agree with you on that. The people who like Irish and who want to learn it, like me,
did. Those who didn't, didn't. But you then go on to say that instead a European language should be put in its
place. The language makes no difference, people still won't learn it, as evidenced by the fact that they don't learn
their second of third language unless they want to. Solfrid, a product of the educational system you praise so
highly, has said, exposure and motivation are the reason that huge numbers of students learn English. They want
to watch television, listen to pop music, and get involved in forums like this. Compulsory education in school is
irrelevant, it just doesn't work.

It's not exactly what Solfrid Cristin said. She gave the reasons why we learn English well. Compulsory
education is one of the reasons why we learn English well. If we weren't forced to learn English from an
early age, a lot of children wouldn't learn it well, just like a lot of children wouldn't learn maths well if it wasn't
compulsory. However, compulsory English is only one of the factors why we succeed. It is compulsory education
in combination with other factors such as undubbed TV that make us succeed.

I don't think Scandinavian children learn English because they want to watch TV. TV programs are subtitled, so
it's not necessary to know the language. You get a richer experience if you do, but it is not necessary.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6250 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 50 of 162
20 June 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
It's not exactly what Solfrid Cristin said.
Solfrid wrote:
The main reasons why we learn English well are undubbed TV, music and the Internet.
If Solfrid wants to say that I misunderstood "the main reasons", that's fine. And if you are picking up on "learn English" versus "learn English well", learning a language badly is irrelevant to me. Lots of Irish people can come up with ungrammatical sentences in Irish for lots of situations, every single person has some knowledge of Irish ranging from finding it difficult to talk about oneself and ones family to six hundred word essays on the economy. They are both products of the same education system, but the minority thrive, the majority fail. What makes the Scandinavian system different is that a much larger group of people fall into the upper bracket, due to Internet, TV etc.

And that is backed up by personal experience with compulsory education both here in Ireland, and anecdotal evidence from numerous Dutch and Germans I've spoken to.
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 51 of 162
20 June 2010 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Declan1991 wrote:
tractor wrote:
It's not exactly what Solfrid Cristin said.
Solfrid wrote:
The
main reasons why we learn English well are undubbed TV, music and the Internet.
If Solfrid wants to say
that I misunderstood "the main reasons", that's fine. And if you are picking up on "learn English" versus
"learn English well", learning a language badly is irrelevant to me. Lots of Irish people can come up with
ungrammatical sentences in Irish for lots of situations, every single person has some knowledge of Irish ranging
from finding it difficult to talk about oneself and ones family to six hundred word essays on the economy. They
are both products of the same education system, but the minority thrive, the majority fail. What makes the
Scandinavian system different is that a much larger group of people fall into the upper bracket, due to Internet,
TV etc.

And that is backed up by personal experience with compulsory education both here in Ireland, and anecdotal
evidence from numerous Dutch and Germans I've spoken to.

Solfrid also said: "Give us that amount of exposure in Russian, including the compulsury learning since the 1st
grade, and we'll amaze you with our Russian as well. :-)" So, she hasn't said that compulsory education is
irrelevant. Anyway, she can clarify her views if she feels to.

Just because compulsory education doesn't work in one country, doesn't mean that compulsory education won't
work in another country. Most Scandinavians wouldn't learn English well if we didn't have easy access to native
sources and if we weren't exposed to English on a daily basis through TV, but most Scandinavians wouldn't learn
English well either if we didn't learn English in school from an early age. As I've said, compulsory education is
one of the factors. Other factors are TV, music, usefulness and the fact that English is related to our native
language.

Dutch and Scandinavians speak English quite well. A lot of Germans speak English well also. I would guess that
the average German pupil gets a lot less exposure from native sources though, since they watch dubbed TV and
movies. Maybe they do learn something in school?

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6250 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 

Message 52 of 162
20 June 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Just because compulsory education doesn't work in one country, doesn't mean that compulsory education won't
work in another country.
BTW, I do support compulsory education. I know for certain that I wouldn't have had the opportunity in school to learn Irish if it wasn't compulsory because it's not my line of study and my school was so small it wouldn't be offered for the handful that wanted to study it. I agree with you, but my point is that compulsory education won't produce generations of fluent anything unless the students want to learn that language. Irish students don't want to learn Irish, so most of them don't really, only those who are genuinely interested, or those who want to do well in the exam succeed. Nevertheless, if Irish was made optional, I think that most students wouldn't get the chance to, and most would have no bit of Irish at all, which would be a tremendous shame in my opinion.

That said, I feel that stout is glossing over the fact that compulsory education in French/German/Spanish or Italian for six years in Ireland doesn't produce many students who have reasonable proficiency in the language. Somehow, magically, removing Irish would make this work, but that I find ridiculous. My reasoning behind it is that most feel there is no incentive. All tourists (and many come, particularly to my area) speak excellent English, anywhere they go abroad all speak English (even in Europe) and they are never exposed to foreign language films or music. My reasoning might be wrong, but my main point, is that since it is already not working, there is no reason to say that removing Irish will produce generations of fluent French speakers, or even average ones.

Edited by Declan1991 on 20 June 2010 at 7:59pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 53 of 162
20 June 2010 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Solfrid also said: "Give us that amount of exposure in Russian, including the compulsury learning since the 1st
grade, and we'll amaze you with our Russian as well. :-)" So, she hasn't said that compulsory education is
irrelevant.

No, she's talking about the whole package.

Quote:
work in another country. Most Scandinavians wouldn't learn English well if we didn't have easy access to native
sources and if we weren't exposed to English on a daily basis through TV, but most Scandinavians wouldn't learn
English well either if we didn't learn English in school from an early age. As I've said, compulsory education is
one of the factors. Other factors are TV, music, usefulness and the fact that English is related to our native
language.

Yes, but as it is only one of many factors, it's independent usefulness cannot be measured except by comparison to countries where the other other factors do not exist.

Ireland is one of the best case studies, because Irish and English are only very distantly related (10 millenia of independent evolution, or something mental like that), English is the main language of TV and music and English is of vastly higher utility.

All Irish has supporting it in many parts of Ireland is the compulsory education, and that alone is ineffective.

Introduce French or Spanish and all the factors are pretty much the same. Introduce German and the language difference drops to about 3 millenia, but other than that, nothing.

Yes, some kids will go on holidays to Spain or France or Germany, but how many of them will only be their on package tours? They'll never see a need to learn the language.

And you will not be able to cater to individual choice anyway. The language you learn will be whatever language is taught at your school because they cannot offer the breadth of choice.
You will never be able to give each kids the language that is most useful to him. Instead, you look to educate the child in a more holistic sense and try to give them experience in the process of learning languages.
School is, after all, where we train children to think, not to do.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 54 of 162
20 June 2010 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
stout wrote:
If I think that Irish is not useful to learn as a language.Then thats my opinion
and perogative and I am perfectly entitiled to that.

An opinion it may be, and entitled to it you are, but it is categorically wrong.

Irish is useful in and of itself as it allows you to read certain pieces of literature. It allows you to talk to people in their own language rather than forcing them to interact with you in what they consider their "second" language.

Irish is useful pedagogically as it equips the learner with a knowledge of how things change. In particular, some of the pronunciation rules teach phonological concepts and relationships intuitively that students of linguistics or of other languages struggle with.
Even if the pedagogical value of Irish is no greater than (eg) Spanish, it does not make Irish "not useful", but rather "no more useful than".
4 persons have voted this message useful

Tally
Bilingual Diglot
Israel
Joined 5419 days ago

135 posts - 176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Modern Hebrew*
Studies: French

Message 55 of 162
20 June 2010 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Is there lots of literature in Irish?

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6250 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 

Message 56 of 162
20 June 2010 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Tally wrote:
Is there lots of literature in Irish?
Oceans, both modern and old, stretching back over 1000 years. Old Irish is quite different from modern Irish, but anything in the last few hundred years is relatively readable for a speaker of modern Irish.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version