Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

US National Security Boren Scholars here?

Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work Post Reply
28 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
clang
Groupie
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 17 of 28
27 April 2010 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
I was just looking at the Boren Fellowship program last night. I was a little confused by the "currently enrolled"
requirement. Are you taking a year off in the middle of your program? Or can you take the year abroad after you
graduate as long as you applied while you were enrolled?
1 person has voted this message useful

chucknorrisman
Triglot
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 18 of 28
27 April 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Good job! I hope your study of Croatian goes well. I would love to have such an immersion experience with some other languages.

By the way, do you have to be involved in a language-related major to be eligible? I am planning to do a dual degree with engineering and something else, and that something else may or may not be a language, but I would still like a chance to stud abroad somewhere one day.

Edited by chucknorrisman on 27 April 2010 at 3:39pm

lecorbeau
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 5815 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Turkish

Message 19 of 28
27 April 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
clang wrote:
Are you taking a year off in the middle of your program? Or can you take the year abroad after
you graduate as long as you applied while you were enrolled?

You have to be a "matriculated, degree-seeking" student throughout the duration of your time overseas; you
can't graduate until you have completed your Boren program. So while you may not physically be on campus,
you must be on the books in some way as a student. So whether it is in the middle of your program or not, it
has to meet this criterion.

chucknorrisman wrote:
By the way, do you have to be involved in a language-related major to be eligible?

Nope. People from all sorts of academic backgrounds are accepted. The program seems to favor people who
study for a year+, but I do know they are very lenient with engineering and science majors that have a slew of
requirements and cannot afford to take longer than a summer off. If you fit this category then you may very well
get a summer abroad funded.

lecorbeau
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 5815 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 

Message 20 of 28
20 May 2010 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
ic32987 wrote:
Waitlisted. But hey, it's not a rejection.

Did you hear back?

vikramkr
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5864 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese

Message 21 of 28
20 May 2010 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
Congratulations lecorbeau! I'm sure you will learn Croatian to advanced fluency if you are living in Croatia for a year! Unfortunately, I was rejected from the scholarship; my request was for a year abroad in Turkey (which I am still doing, but have to pay for myself).

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 22 of 28
21 May 2010 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Wow, that's really impressive. I hope that I can participate in this program at some point. Now, which language... That would be a difficult decision. :)

I was just thinking about that.

All the languages are listed on the application... I'll make a separate box that says "All of the above." :D

Congrats on the Scholarship!!! You should be really proud!! I wish all the luck in the world to you, and I'm sure you will reach your goals easily if you work hard and stay dedicated! This is the opportunity of a life time :)

-Jordan

jhois777
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4758 days ago

43 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese

Message 23 of 28
27 May 2011 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Hey man I would love an update on how this thing went as I am trying to win the scholarship. Any tips would be appreciated.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lecorbeau
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 5815 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 

Message 24 of 28
27 May 2011 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
The scholarship opened all kinds of doors for me:

I can say that this was hands down one of the most enriching periods of my life (and anyone who knows my life story thus far will know just how compelling a statement that is). I learned my ancestral language from total beginner (knowing about 10-15 words) to a very strong intermediate level (I was interviewed on national television about my language course without feeling too nervous about it), I was able to undertake internships with two of the most well-known international organizations in the world, get a true feel for how a typical US diplomat lives and works, and now because of my recent experience I landed an opportunity next year in Bosnia.

The experience in general made me REALLY excited about working in diplomacy.

I could go on about this, so let me know if you have any more specific questions that I can answer.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version