Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

US National Security Boren Scholars here?

Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work Post Reply
28 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
jhois777
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4758 days ago

43 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese

Message 25 of 28
27 May 2011 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
What exactly makes up the application? How far into college were you, what was your
GPA, and what was your major? I don't know if you have inside information, but my top
choice would be going to Brazil for Portuguese. Do you think they would consider this
a high priority language with the ranks of Mandarin and Arabic? I would think not, but
I would assume it would be close.

You say you did not know any of the language when applying. How much does that affect
your application? Basically I would love the opportunity to study abroad for a year.
I want to do whichever language/area that will allow me to win this scholarship (I
won't do Arabic or Mandarin).

Thanks for answering this is what I was looking forward to talking to someone that
actually received the award. Also what was your daily routine while there? Did you
live with a host family? How awesome was it?
1 person has voted this message useful

lecorbeau
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 5815 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Turkish

Message 26 of 28
28 May 2011 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
1. What exactly makes up the application?

I think enough information about this is available on the website, and if nothing else, on the application itself!

2. How far into college were you, what was your
GPA, and what was your major?

I was in my last year of university, my GPA was high (in the 3.6-3.8 range), and I majored in International Studies.

3. Do you think they would consider [Portuguese] a high priority language with the ranks of Mandarin and Arabic?

Any language listed on their website is considered a language worthy of funding. I know plenty of participants that went to Brazil on their Boren years to study Portuguese. But you have to remember that you really have to demonstrate motivation to learn the language you want to study (is your family from there? did you take classes that focused on Brazil/Africa/etc.?, did you spend a summer in Moldova and now you're just itching to go back and learn the language?), because they can see right through people who chose a language at random just to get funding. The goal of the program is to help people learn unique languages that they will then continue using in the future and in their careers. Also remember that this is a government service scholarship, and motivation to work in the federal government is very important.

4. You say you did not know any of the language when applying. How much does that affect your application?

It really depends on the language I think. For the more "common" languages like Mandarin, Russian, etc. I had the impression that everyone who chose these languages already had pretty solid study experience (at least a year). But in general it's a crap-shoot I'd say.

5. Also what was your daily routine while there? Did you
live with a host family? How awesome was it?

Daily routine is so different for every participant. Everyone has a different language, country, and program. Mine in general was internship in the mornings, language class in the afternoons, and language lectures in the evenings Monday-Friday. Like I said it was one of the best years of my life.

4 persons have voted this message useful

jhois777
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4758 days ago

43 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese

Message 27 of 28
02 July 2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to bother you again, but would you be willing to email me the essays you wrote for
the scholarship. I would very much appreciate that so I could see what makes a winning
statement of purpose.

lecorbeau
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 5815 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Turkish

Message 28 of 28
03 July 2011 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
Sorry, but I would not be willing to do that. Best of luck in any case.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version