kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6577 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 17 of 90
26 May 2010 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Estonian has a word that's not an exclamation which consists of the longest string of the same
vowel.

jäääär = ice-edge (jää "ice" + äär "edge")

In Japanese, you can have the same vowel appear many, many times in succession. tōō o ōu (to-o-o-o o o-o-u)
means "to cover Eastern Europe".
4 persons have voted this message useful

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5505 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 18 of 90
26 May 2010 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
furrykef wrote:
Smart wrote:
"Polish" is the only word in the English language that
when capitalized is changed from a noun or a verb to a nationality.

That might technically be true, but "turkey" is very similar -- only that it's a
country name rather than a nationality. "Chad" (a country in Africa) also qualifies. I
wonder if there are any others?

Sure. to french can mean a lot of different things culinary-wise. One of which
refers to slicing food into slivers (cf. julienning). Also to french someone can
be short for to french kiss someone. Of course these all derive from the demonym
so it doesn't have quite the same satisfaction as Polish & to polish which came
from different roots and merged.

Many of these pairs are derogatory in nature, having to do with some bad traits
supposedly associated with some ethnic group. I'm thinking of to jew, to
gyp
, and their ilk here.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5870 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 19 of 90
26 May 2010 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
janalisa wrote:
...that the Japanese word for "thank you" (arigatou) literally means something like, "(What you have done for me is) something rare." So it's like, "I appreciate what you've done for me, because it doesn't happen all the time."

I find this quite interesting, because I've always heard that the word "arigato" came from the Portuguese "obrigado". The spelling is quite different, I know, but if you pronounce it the portuguese way ("eating away" the "b") the sound will be quite similar.

It might be a legend, because it is a story from the sixteenth century (even if there is some literature that supports it), but here it goes: when the Portuguese arrived in Tanegashima in 1543, it was the first contact between Europeans and Japanese. So, and since they did not have a short way of saying "thank you", they took ours.

Due to our exploring period, Portuguese is full of loanwords from other languages, and we also gave many to others.

Some examples:

Japanese: "tempura" was introduced in Japan by Portuguese missionaries and it comes from the Portuguese word "tempero" (meaning "seasoning").

Burkina Faso: there's a local type of beer called "mijo", which is the colloquial Portuguese word for urine.

Arabic: the words for "Portuguese" and "orange" are written and pronounced in almost the same way, because sweet oranges were introduced there by the Portuguese. Explaining a bit: the Arabs already knew oranges, but they only had access to the bitter variety (for which they used the Persian word "naranj"). When the Portuguese began trading regularly with China, they brought back sweet oranges, some of which were sold in Arabian countries, where they came to be known by the name of the people that had first brought them.

Edited by Luso on 26 May 2010 at 1:41pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6281 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 20 of 90
26 May 2010 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
Here's one: did you know that in Japanese, the same word (違う "chigau") is used for "to be wrong" and "to be different"? I wonder if this has anything to do with Japan being a conformist society...

Luso wrote:
I find this quite interesting, because I've always heard that the word "arigato" came from the Portuguese "obrigado". The spelling is quite different, I know, but if you pronounce it the portuguese way ("eating away" the "b") the sound will be quite similar.

Apparently this is a common legend, but it's not true. The adjective "arigatai", from which "arigatou" is derived, is attested long before the arrival of the Portuguese.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5478 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 21 of 90
26 May 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Did you know that ...

Czech is actually the Polish spelling of Czech. Czechs would spell it with Č (pronounced like the ch at the start of cheese). It is a mystery why English doesn't simply spell it Check and adopted the Polish spelling instead.
2 persons have voted this message useful

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5614 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 90
26 May 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Smart wrote:
"Polish" is the only word in the English language that when capitalized is
changed from a noun or a verb to a nationality.

It is also the only word that changes pronunciation when capitalized.
2 persons have voted this message useful

karaipyhare
Tetraglot
Groupie
Paraguay
Joined 5394 days ago

74 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, Spanish*, English, Guarani
Studies: German, Italian, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 23 of 90
26 May 2010 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
Chung wrote:
Estonian has a word that's not an exclamation
which consists of the longest string of the same
vowel.

jäääär = ice-edge (jää "ice" + äär "edge")

In Japanese, you can have the same vowel appear many, many times in succession. tōō o
ōu (to-o-o-o o o-o-u)
means "to cover Eastern Europe".

three F's in a row:
Schifffahrt = German for "boat trip"

a seven-letter word in English that, whith the change of a consonant, becomes a new
word with no vowel sounds in common = hideous -> hideout

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5888 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 90
27 May 2010 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Did you know..
..that in an unofficial northern way of writing Norwegian, you can have a conversation with single word vowels only?

- Æ e i A.
- Æ e i A æ å.

"I am in A." (primary school classes at the same year are divided in letter names beginning from A)
"I am in A me too."

Not 100% correct bokmål or nynorsk, but a bunch of people would write it like this - and it's the common way of pronouncing it (with a northern accent).

Edited by mrhenrik on 27 May 2010 at 12:25am

This discussion contains 90 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version