Canada
Joined 5765 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 49 of 90
02 June 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Adamdm wrote:

Luso wrote:
Arabic: the words for "Portuguese" and "orange" are written and pronounced in almost the same way, because sweet oranges were introduced there by the Portuguese. Explaining a bit: the Arabs already knew oranges, but they only had access to the bitter variety (for which they used the Persian word "naranj"). When the Portuguese began trading regularly with China, they brought back sweet oranges, some of which were sold in Arabian countries, where they came to be known by the name of the people that had first brought them.

The botanical Latin word for the kind of fruit that an orange is is "hesperidium", which means "from the land in the region of the setting sun", the "Hesperidies", which was (depending on where and when used) sometimes a reference to Iberia.

The use of "orange" to describe the fruit in English apparently arose as early as the 14th century, whereas the use of "orange" as a colour was not until the 17th century, or so I am led to believe.   Not sure what word was used to describe the colour orange prior to the 17th century (particularly if as I assume the French word for that colour prior to the 17th century was the same as it is now - ie. "orange" but pronouned in some odd French fashion).   Regardless of whether the timeline is correct, English still lacks a word that rhymes with it - drives poets completely insane.

Most other nouns in English have been deliberately fashioned in a manner designed to confound those attempting to learn this blasted language.   Yes, I am not afraid to finally reveal to the world the truth of this secret cabal.   Started with Francis Bacon, I believe, or perhaps Isaac Newton.   See as examples the following English words, wholly designed to be confusing:

- eggplant (no egg actually invoved here)
- buttermilk (no butter)
- strawberry (no straw, unless you shop in the wrong shops)
- grapefruit (no grapes, no matter how hard you look)
- pineapple (a real tour de force: neither pine nor apple to be found within or attached thereto)

- and in something that is both confusing and, from a public safety perspective, potentially dangerous, the oddness associated with "parkway" (which one drives on at full speed) and a "driveway" (on which one really should be careful driving very fast or far).

Edited by Spanky on 02 June 2010 at 11:10pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5117 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 50 of 90
03 June 2010 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
In Polish, you can have a conversation with words that consist of not more than 2-letters.

- O, a co to?
- To?
- No.
- To ul. Al mi go da.
- Hm, i po co ci on?
- Al mi da ów ul, a ja mu mą oś.
- A na co mu oś?
- Im ją da!

- Woah, and what is this?
- That?
- Yeah.
- It's a beehive. Al will give it to me.
- Hm, and what do you need it for?
- Al will give me the beehive, and I will give him my axis.
- But what does he need an axis for?
- He will give it to them!

Edited by Derian on 03 June 2010 at 1:13pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6281 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 51 of 90
03 June 2010 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
In English, we prepend an "n" to "ever" to negate it: "never".

In Latin, likewise, you prepend an "n" to "umquam" (ever) to negate it: "numquam" (never).

1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5870 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 52 of 90
03 June 2010 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
MäcØSŸ wrote:
Luso wrote:
Burkina Faso: there's a local type of beer called "mijo", which is the colloquial Portuguese word for
urine.

Botswana: the motto of the country is “pula”, which means rain in Tswana but it’s also the colloquial Romanian
word for penis.

There is a connection between the two words I mentioned.

Edited by Luso on 03 June 2010 at 11:36am

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5129 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 53 of 90
04 June 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
In Arabic, most female nouns and adjectives end in a. E.g. ابن ibn (=son) ابنة ibna (=daughter) & zawj زوج (=husband) and زوجة (=wife) zawja etc.
But both mother (أم) umm and pregnant (حامل) ḥāmil don't, so they look like masculine forms. On the other hand, the word for Caliph (خليفة) khalīfa ends in a and looks feminine.
There are also a handful of nouns that can be either masculine or feminine. For example ṭarīq طريق (=way), روح rūḥ (=spirit) and حال ḥāl (=status) can be used with either masculine or feminine adjectives.

Veedo
United States
Joined 5230 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 54 of 90
06 June 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Adamdm wrote:
janalisa wrote:
...that the Japanese word for "thank you" (arigatou) literally means something like, "(What you have done for me is) something rare." So it's like, "I appreciate what you've done for me, because it doesn't happen all the time."

The Japanese language suggests that the Japanese do not generally expect a lot of nice things to happen. Whereas the common greeting in many languages is often one or other of "[have a] good day" or "how are you/are things going for you?", as far as I can work out, "konichi wa" means literally "in regard to today". Nothing positive (admittedly, nothing negative, either). Just an acknowledgement that today is today.

Have a day, everyone :|

From what I understand the phrase konnichiha means "as for today?" and is basically asking, depending on context, "what are we doing today", "what's happening today" etc. konbanha has a similar connotation, ie "what are we doing this this evening".

Some japanese words have some interesting origins though. Ie wife meaning "someone in the house", husband meaning "master", and some words for "I" and "him/them" meaning "wheat worker" or "slave". This is probably because Japanese grammatically doesn't have pronouns so when they use a word like "I" or "wife" they have to generalize what kind of an object they're talking about.

Edited by Veedo on 06 June 2010 at 7:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Veedo
United States
Joined 5230 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 55 of 90
06 June 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
furrykef wrote:
Here's one: did you know that in Japanese, the same word (違う "chigau") is used for "to be wrong" and "to be different"? I wonder if this has anything to do with Japan being a conformist society...
Just to expand on what Captain Haddock said on page 4...

Technically Japanese doesn't have words for "yes" and "no" so they say "that's right" and "that's wrong". Using 違う (chigau) to mean "that's different" is just another way to say "no" in Japanese, with a slightly different connotation. Ie if someone were to ask if you're wearing black because you're going to a funeral you might say 違うよ (chigauyo), "no it's something different [, I'm wearing black because I'm goth]".

That point is interesting in and of itself though; Japanese lacks words for "yes" and "no". I wonder how many other languages have that feature? Japanese also lacks pronouns which are seen in most languages...

Taalmeester
Bilingual Triglot
South Africa
Joined 5095 days ago

23 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans*, Japanese
Studies: Spanish

Message 56 of 90
06 June 2010 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
I just found out that Afrikaans is the youngest natural language. Didn't know that.

Some of the languages on this list makes me sad. So few speakers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_ native_speakers

LOL, link was removed to stop spamming. Just type in Wikipedia 'list of languages by number'. ;)

Edited by Taalmeester on 06 June 2010 at 10:42pm

This discussion contains 90 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version