Joined 5857 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 25 of 65
04 June 2010 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
John Smith wrote:

One of the polyglots who claims to speak Czech made a pretty basic mistake in his videos. I din't pick it up the first time because he speaks fairly quickly.

He said

me se libi cesky

instead of

me se libi cestina (I like Czech)
me se libi cesky jazyk

I have three comments on this:

The first is that you obviously mean Torbyrne. He is currently in Prague, and I can say that his fluency with Czech is far more advanced than mine. By any measure he would be classed as fluent. If it helps convince you, he also studied Czech history and language (taught in Czech!!) full time for a year at Charles University. I would be overjoyed if I had his level of ability.

Secondly, you criticise him for not saying:

me se libi cestina (I like Czech)
me se libi cesky jazyk

Yet these are incorrect Czech. They both have a trivial error of the type for which you are criticising Torbyrne, which is surprising since I see from your own profile that you claim Czech fluency.

The correct form would be to use the dative case for the first person pronoun:

mi se líbí ...

The third point is that making videos is not easy. It can be stressful and tiring. In my own videos I make lots of mistakes I would never make in real life and notice them instantly yet carry on. Imagine now having to switch between 16 languages, and trying to do it without errors.

A large part of fluency is making mistakes, noticing them, shrugging them off, and moving on. It is not a concert performance. And even if it were, musicians in concert performances do make mistakes, but are rarely criticised for having merely parroted a piece of music.

"Me" is the dative case!

Me se libi cestina is not incorrect czech!!!!!!!! Mi is used in the written language (spisovna cestina). It is NOT used in the colloquial form.

That's why most foreign speakers sound funny when they speak Czech. They use forms that are hyper correct.

Also mi se libi just sounds wrong!!!!!!!! Libi se mi sounds better.

I never studied the language. I'm a native speaker. Maybe you can figure out what's happening if I give you some examples

Mne (dative) se libi (I like)
libi se mi              (I like)

tobe se libi        (you like)
libi se ti             (you like)

Jemu se libi
libi se mu

Edited by John Smith on 04 June 2010 at 10:24am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5910 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 26 of 65
04 June 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Derian wrote:
Splog wrote:
The OP seems to be praising these youtube polyglots for remarkable achievements
Not being able to communicate in a language, but only parrot what you've heard, is not a remarkable achievement when talking about language learning, or is it?

In the OP's own words:
When surprised or placed in a situation that requires them to actually use the language. Not mimic what they have heard before... but actually construct a sentence out of thin air... they stumble...

Interesting stuff. This is completely true. However, this is also true for every human being on the planet. How many people have made up their own language? Everything is copied or inspired by something. Even Dr. Zamenhof took inspiration from other existing languages. Languages are natural living things that are passed on from person to person by copying sounds. They evolve over time, but no one invents a new national language from scratch ever (at least not one that will catch on). Have you ever asked a native to translate something into their language they don't usually say? They need some thinking time too and can get it wrong - horror of all language horrors! ;) In fact I have had natives ask me to help think of a word or grammatical structure for them before now too. That does not mean I am better than them in that language though!

The other thing I would like to point out is that even very learned people in their native tongue(s) have these "stumbles" when they are caught off-guard. Ever seen someone being interviewed on topics they know little about? Or someone nervous at an interview? Or even an expert asked a question slightly left of field? Does that mean they no longer speak their native tongue? Not at all, they are simply on unfamiliar ground and may need to take time to correctly word a response. This happens to us all in all languages. If it doesn't happen to you, you are a walking wonder.

As a learner of a language this may occur more frequently in the beginning and then the instances of it reduce over time as we get more exposure to various subjects. However, natural interest and ability to think about certain subjects will always play a role and may never be overcome. If you can't talk about nuclear physics, 19th century Russian literature, biology or politics in English and you then learn Swahili, does it mean you will miraculously acquire that knowledge then? Nope! :) Does that make you less fluent in the language? Certainly on that topic, but not necessarily in the language as a whole.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5484 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 27 of 65
04 June 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
John Smith wrote:

"Me" is the dative case!

Me se libi cestina is not incorrect czech!!!!!!!! Mi is used in the written language (spisovna cestina). It is NOT used in the colloquial form.

<snip>

That's why most foreign speakers sound funny when they speak Czech. They use forms that are hyper correct.

<snip>

I never studied the language. I'm a native speaker.

Just for clarity, John Smith and I are now off-lining this discussion to private messages, since it would off-track the thread. Needless to say, I disagree completely about "me" being even colloquial czech. If interesting results come from this discussion we will post them here.
1 person has voted this message useful

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5857 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 

Message 28 of 65
04 June 2010 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
I am a native speaker. Not a native writer ( I live in an English speaking country) I confused two words that sound the same but are spelt differently.

A case of......... I sea the girl instead of I see the girl. Or There house is big instead of Their house is big.

The two words in question are

Me (with a little thing above the e)

and

Mne

Both sound the same.

Splog's example mi se libi is incorrect.

Edited by John Smith on 04 June 2010 at 10:49am

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5484 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 29 of 65
04 June 2010 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
John Smith wrote:
I am a native speaker. Not a native writer ( I live in an English speaking country) I confused two words that sound the same but are spelt differently.

A case of......... I sea the girl instead of I see the girl. Or There house is big instead of Their house is big.

The two words in question are

Me (with a little thing above the e)

and

Mne

Both sound the same.

Great, thanks for that clarification. "Mně“ is perfectly acceptable as an emphatic form of first person dative.

John Smith wrote:
Splog's example mi se libi is incorrect.

It is not. It is correct both in written and spoken Czech. The word order is quirky, but I merely replicated your own word order for illustration.

This, however, is straying off topic, and we should not pollute the thread with our arguments.

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5857 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 

Message 30 of 65
04 June 2010 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Mi se libi is not correct written Czech. The form mi cannot occur before se. It might be able to in Morava. They don't speak standard Czech there. I apologise if that is the case.

I believe that this discussion is relevant so please do not remove it.
It shows that a native speaker can pick up things advanced foreign language learners cannot.

I guess what this all boils down to is the same age old question. How do you define the word fluent?

Is it sounding like a native speaker?
Is it being able to get your point across?

Edited by John Smith on 04 June 2010 at 11:39am

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5484 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 31 of 65
04 June 2010 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
OK, if you want to keep it in the thread rather than continuing in PMs ...

Well, none of the examples are correct since they all miss the subject. However, I assumed we were doing this on purpose since they were not central to the discussion.

If we put the subject in, we have to decide where to put it. We could say something like "To se mi líbí“ (the most common construction) but can equally say "Mi se líbí to“ if it is "to" that we want to emphasise.

You could also say "To se líbí mi“ to emphasise it is me rather than somebody else that is being pleased, but then I would expect to use the emphatic "mně" instead.

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5857 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 

Message 32 of 65
04 June 2010 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Czech doesn't need a subject. English does Czeh does not.

Compare

It rains

and

Prsi (no subject)

You cannot say mi se libi to
It sounds wrong

Mi cannot occur before se.

I never studied Czech grammar so I don't know how else to explain it. I don't know how my native language works. I just speak it.

Edited by John Smith on 04 June 2010 at 11:18am

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version