United States
Joined 6421 days ago

193 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 65 of 65
09 June 2010 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
John Smith wrote:
The reason I want to find out luka's "secret" is because I want to be tri lingual. I want Spanish to give me the same feeling I get when I speak English and Czech. I want to be a native speaker of Spanish.

However... No matter how much I study Spanish it still feels like a foreign language... I continue to make mistakes a native speaker would never make....

I don't feel what a native speakers feels when they say something. The nuances and subtleties of the language are beyond my reach.

Being bilingual has allowed me to see what real knowledge of a language feels like.

At the moment I feel as though I'm chasing my shadow. A dream I will never catch.

How long have you lived in a Spanish speaking country? You location is listed as Australia. While I cannot say whether or not one can reach "native like fluency" it certainly would be vastly more difficult if you do not live in the country where the language is spoken.

I am reminded of an American Marine by the name of Bobby Garwood who became a P.O.W. during the Vietnam war. He was captured in 1965, and did not leave Vietnam until 1979. By that point Vietnamese had become his primary language. He could barely speak English anymore. My suspicion is that considering he barely remembered any English, he was probably thinking completely in Vietnamese.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version