5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 49 of 65
04 June 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Torbyrne wrote:
I had understood from the translation that we could think YouTube polyglots to be potential fakes (an opposing view to the new interpretation above I know). I will take this point on as I think it's an interesting one. This is a topic raised many times on this forum and on the videos themselves.

It is completely possible that everyone is a fake. OK, now for a bit of a reality check. When people need these languages to converse with others on a daily basis then reality kicks in for everyone. If the languages don't stand up to basic fluency when that is what's claimed, the person saying they speak the language falls down. This ability is difficult to demonstrate on YouTube as everything could be read or learnt by heart if we go down that route.   

That's an interesting point of discussion, Torbyrne. Who is a fake polyglot? Can somebody be a fake polyglot because people discover that he makes a Czech language mistake in a You Tube video?

Let me bring this example, because I can quote my own case best:

I uploaded a video entirely spoken in Dutch on You Tube recently. After the successful upload I watched it together with my Dutch friend who is a native speaker of Dutch and he detected three language mistakes in this video plus that there was a Dutch word missing (I had to use a German word instead) that makes in total four language mistakes in one You Tube video.

I have 28 years experience of almost regular usage of Dutch and in Dutch speaking countries I am often not recognized as being non-Dutch.

Am I now a fake polyglot because of my four language mistakes in my Dutch You Tube video?

It's very easy to call somebody a fake polyglot, but when is it justified?

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 04 June 2010 at 11:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 50 of 65
04 June 2010 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Torbyrne wrote:

Now for some more reality. Czech is not an easy language to learn for a native English speaker with no prior knowledge of Slavic languages: It was my first Slavic language. I make mistakes and I am pleased to have had great people around to correct me and help me improve. Having had a 6 year gap in speaking Czech daily I have found some interference from Macedonian (my home language) and Serbo-Croat, but that is now fading away again.    

John Smith, I would be delighted to talk to you sometime in Czech. Any advice or help you can offer to improve my level in the language further would be greatly appreciated. You will see that I am a human being, trying to study and improve my languages like most people on this forum.   

Yes, many people don't have any contact with polyglots so they don't know enough about them. This can lead to misconceptions. I also would appreciate, if more people accepted polyglots in general as human beings who - as Torbyrne says - want to study and improve their languages like any other language learners.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 05 June 2010 at 3:40am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 65
05 June 2010 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
djc463 wrote:
Yes! I'm so glad to see this brought up here in the forum because I've always had similar thoughts. I love watching youtube polyglots, but what would interest me more is if an international organization of polyglots got started. Due to modern technology (internet, skype), a polyglot organization could be formed on a separate website with exact criteria that could be hashed out to define polyglots. Therefore "fakes" would have to go through this group of elite polyglots. I'm currently 21 and I wouldn't count myself as a polyglot, but I believe there is enough demand for an organization such as this (plus it would be fun). This would give people goals and standards in language "fluency". This website is a kind of unofficial version of it, but it would be nice to have an official directory of "certified" polyglots. I already see the groundwork laid for it: Fasulye, Torbyrne, Luca, Iverson, plus many other polyglots are already in constant communication. Arguelles and Steve Kauffmann are two other great polyglots, but they're busy doing their own things and I'm not sure if they'd join. It'd make for good advertising grounds for their separate endeavors though.

I don't know if others share my opinion, or have issues that they would like to further discuss. But the idea is intriguing to me? Thoughts?

I think it's good, if polyglots have some kind of contact with each other so that they can exchange ideas and experiences or practise languages together (that's what we do on Skype!). If you skype together you know who's a fake and who's not. Prof. Arguelles keeps a great distance to his language community. Everybody who is registered as a LingQ member has the possibility to interact with Steve Kaufmann, there's even a thread in the LingQ-forum called "Ask Steve". I find it relatively easy to distinguish, who is a polyglot. For example I could name other polyglots of our HTLAL forum: ronp, Amir, fanatic, JW, Iwwersetzerin. Laoshu (Moses) as well, but he has a different approach to polyglottery.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 05 June 2010 at 8:59am

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 52 of 65
05 June 2010 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:

I think it's good, if polyglots have some kind of contact with each other so that they can exchange ideas and experiences or practise languages together (that's what we do on Skype!). If you skype together you know who's a fake and who's not. Prof. Arguelles keeps a great distance to his language community. Everybody who is registered as a LingQ member has the possibility to interact with Steve Kaufmann, there's even a thread in the LingQ-forum called "Ask Steve". I find it relatively easy to distinguish, who is a polyglot. For example I could name other polyglots of our HTLAL forum: ronp, Amir, fanatic, JW, Iwwersetzerin. Laoshu (Moses) as well, but he has a different approach to polyglottery.

I have to strongly disagree about Professor Arguelles. I've found him to consistently be warm, courteous, open, and approachable. Some forum members have met him face to face; I've voice-chatted with him.

He is extremely busy, but not distant.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 65
05 June 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Fasulye wrote:

I have to strongly disagree about Professor Arguelles. I've found him to consistently be warm, courteous, open, and approachable. Some forum members have met him face to face; I've voice-chatted with him.

He is extremely busy, but not distant.

I have never been active in the Prof Arguelles subforum, so I assume that he doesn't know me at all, because I have never posted anything there. I didn't know that other forum members have had personal contact with him, besides Sprachprofi and Laoshu. Your descripiton is interesting.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 05 June 2010 at 12:24pm

Wise owl chick
Ecuador
Joined 5128 days ago

122 posts - 137 votes 
Studies: English

Message 54 of 65
05 June 2010 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
I think that Prof A is nice and kind but very formal as well.

Torbyne, Luca, fasulye, JW, Prof A, Sprachprofi and more are polyglots, (or I prefer the word multilingual). they haven't to memorise some phrases, or imitate like the parrots because they can construct the phrases in their foreign languages. I don't understand why the person here think that this people have to memorise the phrases. Some things are memorised and a few words, but those conversations were like when you talk but you didn't know what the other person will ask you. I don't agree with John Smith at all and probably he hasn't learned a foreign language, only his two native ones therefore he doesn't know this feeling of speak a foreign one which you have learned (not during the infancy).

Edited by patuco on 05 June 2010 at 10:50pm

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5183 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 55 of 65
06 June 2010 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
One well know Youtube polyglot is currently in Prague, and I have had the good fortune of spending quite a lot of time with him.

He mentioned how frustrating it is to hear people asking what his "secret" is, as if there is some trick that can turn us all into polyglots.

As far as I can gather, he appears to rely on two "secrets":

- Devoting many years to learning languages
- Loving the process of learning just as much as the end result

I couldn't hope to guess who you mean.

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5852 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 56 of 65
06 June 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Wise owl chick wrote:
I think that Prof A is nice and kind but very formal as well.

Torbyne, Luca, fasulye, JW, Prof A, Sprachprofi and more are polyglots, (or I prefer the word multilingual). they haven't to memorise some phrases, or imitate like the parrots because they can construct the phrases in their foreign languages. I don't understand why the person here think that this people have to memorise the phrases. Some things are memorised and a few words, but those conversations were like when you talk but you didn't know what the other person will ask you. I don't agree with John Smith at all and probably he hasn't learned a foreign language, only his two native ones therefore he doesn't know this feeling of speak a foreign one which you have learned (not during the infancy).

I have learnt a couple of foreign languages. That is why I know what the difference is between being a native speaker and a non native speaker.

I believe that the only time foreign language learners sound like native speakers is when they use phrases they have heard before. OR when they substitute words. E.g. the learner has heard someone say "I can see". They then know how to say "I can swim" correctly. All they did was replace one verb with another one.

Youtube polyglots are proof that after a certain age you can never reach native like fluency. Only children are able to absorb a language's soul (can't think of a better term).

The best language learners can do is mimic the language like a parrot. I'm using talking parrots as an example because even though parrots can talk they cannot absorb the soul of human language.

I'm not putting anyone down. I am not calling anyone a fake. All I am saying is that only children have the ability to pick up a language and speak it correctly.

I also want to add that I understand that native speakers make mistakes when they talk. HOWEVER what most people here don't seem to understand is that comparing a native speaker's mistakes with a foreign language learners mistakes is like comparing apples and oranges.

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version