91 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian, German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 33 of 73
10 June 2010 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Luk wrote:
tractor wrote:
The strange thing is that María Moliner defines 'populación' simply as "población",
while the definition in the DRAE only matches the first of the 5 meanings of "población".

That doesn't matter. Those are two very different dictionaries, their goals as dictionaries are not the same

Of course it matters. I know perfectly well that they are very different dictionaries and that their goals are not the
same. I own both, and I use both.

No, it doesn't. What does matter is in what context you want to use the word.

--edit--

I didn't mean to say that you didn't know their differences.

Edited by Luk on 10 June 2010 at 11:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6731 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 34 of 73
10 June 2010 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Well, the definitions shouldn't be incorrect.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5241 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 35 of 73
10 June 2010 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Luk wrote:
tractor wrote:
Luk wrote:
tractor wrote:
The strange thing is that María Moliner defines
'populación' simply as "población",
while the definition in the DRAE only matches the first of the 5 meanings of "población".

That doesn't matter. Those are two very different dictionaries, their goals as dictionaries are not the same

Of course it matters. I know perfectly well that they are very different dictionaries and that their goals are not the
same. I own both, and I use both.

No, it doesn't. What does matter is in what context you want to use the word.

Then the dictionary should give a clue about the context, especially a dictionary such as María Moliner's.

Edited by tractor on 10 June 2010 at 11:26pm

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6731 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 36 of 73
11 June 2010 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
crafedog wrote:
I've seen this mentioned on other threads before about how rare it is to meet someone advanced/fluent in Spanish as a 2nd language so it does seem to be an issue for Spanish learners.

Are fluent speakers of Italian, French, and German really that much more numerous? It's possible, of course, but even if true, it wouldn't constitute proof that Spanish is unusually difficult.

There can be a self-selection effect among Spanish learners, with more people attracted to it that are not interested in or not capable of reaching high proficiency.

Edited by frenkeld on 11 June 2010 at 12:12am

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5133 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 37 of 73
11 June 2010 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Well, the definitions shouldn't be incorrect.

As you know, language is not math. A particular way of employing a word can be both wrong and right depending on many circumstances such as context, place and epoch, and no dictionary can substitute for becoming acquainted with a language in its many dimensions.

Again, once you surmount initial obstacles (in some cases formidable) such as a complex grammar (Sanskrit or Russian), an ideographic writing system (Chinese or Japanese), or a mixture of complexity and remove from one's own language (Arabic or Tamil for a Westerner), the task of mastering a language requires a kind of genius that goes beyond those features. It is just that some languages like Spanish have been greatly rationalized and let you embark on that labor sooner.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 38 of 73
11 June 2010 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:

Again, once you surmount initial obstacles (in some cases formidable) such as a complex grammar (Sanskrit or Russian), an ideographic writing system (Chinese or Japanese), or a mixture of complexity and remove from one's own language (Arabic or Tamil for a Westerner), the task of mastering a language requires a kind of genius that goes beyond those features. It is just that some languages like Spanish have been greatly rationalized and let you embark on that labor sooner.

That sounds surprisingly like an argument for Esperanto.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5133 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 39 of 73
11 June 2010 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:

If what one looks for in a language is but a means of communication. Spanish offers you this plus centuries of literature, thought and culture, from the windmills of Cervantes to Borges' dreams.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 40 of 73
11 June 2010 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Volte wrote:

If what one looks for in a language is but a means of communication. Spanish offers you this plus centuries of literature, thought and culture, from the windmills of Cervantes to Borges' dreams.

Your post did not mention those things, and Esperanto has over a century of literature, thought, and culture. Once again, I'll refer to Geoffrey Sutton's "Concise Encyclopedia of the Original Literature of Esperanto".

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version