Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Why don’t people here like Rosetta Stone?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
93 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
plaidchuck
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/plaidchRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5100 days ago

71 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 89 of 93
15 July 2010 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
I agree with others for the same reason: It's too expensive for the return. With $500+ available to learn a language, you could get Assimil which could bring you at the worst to an A2 level and a ton of native literature and audio (or another teaching program if you needed it).

If you can get it for significantly cheaper or free as a supplement to your learning then by all means go for it. I don't have anything personal against it or those who use it, I just think it is too expensive and they promise way too much.
1 person has voted this message useful

tracker465
United States
Joined 5147 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 90 of 93
15 July 2010 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
I had the opportunity to use Rosetta Stone's Dutch and German versions, and I just couldn't get into them. I began working through the German version after three semesters of German at the university, and I found the programme to be too easy. I picked up a few new vocabulary words here and there, but that was the extent of it.

Regarding the Dutch version, I just found it boring. I could sit around and match pictures all day, or actually use a grammar and learn how to form sentences and speak. I believe that if one does stick with Rosetta Stone to the end, he or she will learn a nice amount, but unless one is a beginner, I feel that there are faster ways of learning.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 91 of 93
15 July 2010 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
For some reason that I don't fully comprehend Rosetta Stone gets a lot of people all worked up in this forum. Is it really that bad? I've looked at it, but I haven't used it, and I'm not interested. But some people do like it. If you go to the Amazon website, there are lots of glowing reviews. O.K. there may be some shills out there, but it seems that a lot of people like the program. What gives? It's a good thing that Rosetta Stone doesn't depend on us to make money.

It's not any worse than the majority of rubbish on the market for language learning. Most of the stuff on the market is rubbish, but it's rubbish in the sub $20 range, which is where RS belongs. At 14 pounds/euros/dollars, it wouldn't draw any flak, because it would show it "knows its place", basically.

Rosetta Stone's success is all down to perception. As others have said, people who give positive feedback about RS aren't generally successful language learners, so RS only needs to make them feel like they're making progress. A computer program can do that by pumping out lots of positive feedback and tracking a running "score" -- books and tapes don't offer this. More importantly, if you look at some of the other market leaders (TY, Colloquial, Pimsleur) you'll find that the exercises are sometimes too difficult. In TY and Colloquial you're often asked to use words that have been presented to you in a list, but haven't actually been taught to you, so you end up spending a lot of time flicking backwards and forwards while trying to answer the questions. This eats away at your confidence. In Pimsleur, because the courses are paced the same in practically all language, words that are particularly difficult in some languages aren't always given the time they need. I personally find myself stumbling over certain words continuously for ages, regardless of whether I repeat lessons or just move on. If I repeat lessons I get bored and feel like I'm being held back, but if I move on I feel like I'm falling behind.

Rosetta Stone ensures that you can complete most of the tasks fairly easily, and even if you can't, the format doesn't leave you to dwell on your mistakes.

So RS is easy to complete, unlike some of its competitors, and completing the course becomes an achievement in itself, as for most that's all they really have to compare it against. (And of course completing RS is better than giving up on lesson 2 of some other course, so at least it has that going for it....)
7 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5225 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 92 of 93
16 July 2010 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Well said, Cainntear. I certainly agree that most language-learning self-study products are rubbish. It seems that the RS secret is to make people believe they are learning something when in fact they are really learning quite little.
1 person has voted this message useful

katilica
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5266 days ago

70 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: French, Catalan

Message 93 of 93
16 July 2010 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
TerryW wrote:

"PS: No I don't work for Rosetta Stone or know anybody who does. Buen suerte!"

Ha! Jerold should know that it's Buena suerte not buen suerte. Isn't
that something you learn in the first day of Spanish class? You would think he would know
that after using the miraculous Rosetta Stone.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 93 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version