Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Why don’t people here like Rosetta Stone?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
93 messages over 12 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 11 12 Next >>
johntm93
United States
Joined 5123 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 9 of 93
21 June 2010 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
Because it sucks and it makes people think that it's the only pathway to fluency
2 persons have voted this message useful

dec_lan
United States
Joined 5067 days ago

18 posts - 23 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 93
21 June 2010 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
Well, I'm not totally against it yet. Something I can say for it is that it is making me think in the language. As in, when it shows me a picture of a cat, I think of the word for cat in Mandarin, rather than think "cat", then translate it. The way I have learned bits of other languages has given me the bad habit of translating from English to the language. But I haven't tried much else, so maybe my mind will change.

Something I can definitely say against it, though, is the fact that I have seen people view it as something that basically just automatically makes you learn the language. I hear people say things like "I'd to get Rosetta Stone so I can learn language XYZ." They don't seem to get that even if they get it, it's still a lot of hard work. It's the analog of some new fancy piece of exercise equipment. Even if the equipment isn't bad, you still have to do a lot of work. If it was somehow easy, nothing is going to happen.

Edited by dec_lan on 21 June 2010 at 5:42am

6 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5123 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 11 of 93
21 June 2010 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
dec_lan wrote:
It's the analog of some new fancy piece of exercise equipment. Even if the equipment isn't bad, you still have to do a lot of work.

You're right, it is the analog of some fancy new piece of exercise equipment.
It's overly expensive and there's normally an older, better, more proven way to get the same or better results for a cheaper price (think barbell vs. new nautilus systems).
Sorry, but I had to go there :)
1 person has voted this message useful

dec_lan
United States
Joined 5067 days ago

18 posts - 23 votes

Message 12 of 93
21 June 2010 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
dec_lan wrote:
It's the analog of some new fancy piece of exercise equipment. Even if the equipment isn't bad, you still have to do a lot of work.

It's overly expensive and there's normally an older, better, more proven way to get the same or better results for a cheaper price (think barbell vs. new nautilus systems).

But...but they're so shiny.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5123 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 13 of 93
21 June 2010 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
dec_lan wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
dec_lan wrote:

But...but they're so shiny.
And the commercials said it's the best thing ever!

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 14 of 93
21 June 2010 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
It's all smoke and mirrors: the advertising and the product itself.

A well-designed good product gives you a feeling of progress by teaching you the language. A well-designed bad product can't teach you the language, but it will still give you a feeling of progress so that you will recommend it to your friends.

dec_lan wrote:
Well, I'm not totally against it yet. Something I can say for it is that it is making me think in the language. As in, when it shows me a picture of a cat, I think of the word for cat in Mandarin, rather than think "cat", then translate it. The way I have learned bits of other languages has given me the bad habit of translating from English to the language.

Words are easy. Even in our own languages, we learn new words every day. Only a couple of years ago, a cloud was a fluffy thing in the sky. Now it's a new and revolutionary type of computing (that is practically no different to computing that's been going on since the 70s, but hey-ho). I'd never "logged in" to anything before I was 18.

We have a natural capacity to learn new words. Vocabulary is easy.

What is difficult is learning grammar.

But while Rosetta Stone incorporates some variety in grammar into the course, this is actually incidental to the tasks, which can be completed on vocabulary alone. The student progresses through the course, the course tells the student that they're doing well, the student believes they're learning the language. But by the end of it, the best they can hope for is a reasonably good accent and a list of words.

"Thinking in Mandarin" isn't about vocabulary -- it's about grammar. It's about being able to take that cat and ask whose it is, tell it to go away because it's not getting any of your tuna or say to your neighbour that it's ruined your carpet with its claws.
9 persons have voted this message useful

dec_lan
United States
Joined 5067 days ago

18 posts - 23 votes

Message 15 of 93
21 June 2010 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
It's all smoke and mirrors: the advertising and the product itself.

A well-designed good product gives you a feeling of progress by teaching you the language. A well-designed bad product can't teach you the language, but it will still give you a feeling of progress so that you will recommend it to your friends.

dec_lan wrote:
Well, I'm not totally against it yet. Something I can say for it is that it is making me think in the language. As in, when it shows me a picture of a cat, I think of the word for cat in Mandarin, rather than think "cat", then translate it. The way I have learned bits of other languages has given me the bad habit of translating from English to the language.

Words are easy. Even in our own languages, we learn new words every day. Only a couple of years ago, a cloud was a fluffy thing in the sky. Now it's a new and revolutionary type of computing (that is practically no different to computing that's been going on since the 70s, but hey-ho). I'd never "logged in" to anything before I was 18.

We have a natural capacity to learn new words. Vocabulary is easy.

What is difficult is learning grammar.

But while Rosetta Stone incorporates some variety in grammar into the course, this is actually incidental to the tasks, which can be completed on vocabulary alone. The student progresses through the course, the course tells the student that they're doing well, the student believes they're learning the language. But by the end of it, the best they can hope for is a reasonably good accent and a list of words.

"Thinking in Mandarin" isn't about vocabulary -- it's about grammar. It's about being able to take that cat and ask whose it is, tell it to go away because it's not getting any of your tuna or say to your neighbour that it's ruined your carpet with its claws.

Haha. I like the thing about the cat. I also didn't phrase that right-- it's not just teaching me to think of words, it is teaching me to actually learn the concept in Mandarin, some actual simple grammar. For example, though they have never said the actual phrase "Their cat", I know how to say "their <something>" and the word cat, so I can say that it's my/your/his/etc cat, without having to really translate it. But this is super simple, so we'll see if it works for the bigger stuff.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 16 of 93
21 June 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
dec_lan wrote:
But this is super simple, so we'll see if it works for the bigger stuff.

It doesn't. That's why people here don't like Rosetta Stone.

This discussion contains 93 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version