Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Still really struggling to grasp Korean.

Tags: Korean | Difficulty
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
30 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5289 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 25 of 30
30 June 2010 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Well, right now I think I want more so to improve my conversational skills. But, I am
really turned off when you say "what Elementary Korean does in its 1st four chapters,
Integrated Korean does it in its intro chapter."

Any other suggestions on this issue? I am thinking of ordering one of the books by
Friday the latest.
1 person has voted this message useful

exscribere
Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5088 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 26 of 30
30 June 2010 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
I've never looked at Elementary Korean so I can't speak about it. I have been very happy with my Integrated Korean book. Sadly, this doesn't provide you any compare/contrast data. :/

Do you have a college campus around that might offer Korean? You could see if they have any of the textbooks around (even in the summer, my area colleges used to have summer courses) and take a peek at them.

theallstar
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5611 days ago

81 posts - 85 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 27 of 30
30 June 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
The first four chapters of Elementary Korean cover pronunciation which is particularly worth paying
attention to in Korean given it has quite a few sounds that are hard for English ears to differentiate. As
well as this it goes into some detail about how adjacent sounds modify each other. It also provides all of
the examples in the book on the CD (and there are a lot!). On top of this these chapters also teach
Hangul.

I've not actually used the book myself (it was a wanderlust purchase ;)) but it does appear to be very
thorough - certainly more so than what I imagine would be covered in the introduction to Integrated
Korean.

exscribere
Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5088 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 28 of 30
30 June 2010 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
The IK book intro is probably really a "chapter" in and of itself; it's 34 pages long and covers the pronunciation, Hangul, sound modifications (assimilation, resyllabification, etc). It's not a 2 or 3 page brief blurb. ;)

Again - I haven't seen EK so I can't speak to its structure, and the nuances it may go into, but the material in IK along with the audio you can get for free of the Uni of Hawai'i site has held me in good stead. =)

ericspinelli
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5592 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 29 of 30
01 July 2010 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Korean was just launched at LingQ. There isn't a lot of content yet but it seems like it's coming and it's free.

Together with the release, creator Steve Kaufmann has been talking a lot about Korean and Korean resources on his blog. There was a video blog about Korean textbooks that might be of interest.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5344 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 30 of 30
01 July 2010 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
ericspinelli wrote:
Korean was just launched at LingQ. There isn't a lot of content yet but it seems like it's coming and it's free.

Together with the release, creator Steve Kaufmann has been talking a lot about Korean and Korean resources on his blog. There was a video blog about Korean textbooks that might be of interest.

That launch actually prompted me to finally sign up at LingQ (though I could have worked on my Spanish there beforehand). I'm still undecided on how to integrate that in with the methods I'm already using for Korean and Spanish, though.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version