Germany
Joined 5352 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 25 of 27
02 April 2011 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Hallo Mae

Can you tell us how you actually managed to learn Swiss German (when it is reputedly so unpracticable)?

I've noticed a couple of similarities with Dutch myself, like "five" is pronounced a bit like "fijf"
1 person has voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4783 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 27
04 April 2011 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
I'm a native speaker, I grew up with that language ;-) so I cannot give any special tricks or hints to learn it. I think exercising phonetics is a great help, but from my point of view not only important for learning Swiss German.

There are many variations to pronounce five: "fiif" (Uri), "foif" (Zurich), "füüf" (Thurgovia), "föif" (Lucerne), "fünf" (Basel), etc.
I wrote the cantons in brackets. Of course, dialects are not attached to geographical limits, but some regions have things in common.
I know a few persons from the Netherlands, and they didn't "suffer" learning Swiss German. Some of them speak with a heavy Dutch accent, some of them not at all.

Edited by Mae on 08 April 2011 at 7:27pm

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6451 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 27 of 27
07 April 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
All of this reminds me of what I've gone through with Portuguese. I've learned some Spanish, enough that Spanish comes out when I'm trying to speak Portuguese.

Perhaps people who think in German have to make a particular effort to switch mental gears when learning Schweitzerdeutsch.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version