587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 9 of 41
26 June 2010 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
Akao wrote:
I was watching a recent video from the extremely popular youtuber (Torbyme) who spoke 16 languages in one video, I looked down at the comments and saw numerous people saying things like...

"Moses is a fake... put him to shame!"

"Moses needs to die"

"Moses is a horrible teacher"

etc...

I'm surprised at this, he is one of my favorite video makers. Can somebody tell me what I am missing here?

He is none of those things.

He's very intelligent, friendly, I couldn't have a bad word to say about him.

Jealously from other people drive hate. Moses made a video along the lines of "If you have nothing nice to say, just don't post anymore." He also would not condone hateful speech on his videos. Some people look for attention, I mean hey, this is the internet. A lot of people just like to get into someone's skin if you know what I mean.

Moses is a great guy, always answering viewers questions and stuff :)

by the way, I think you confused Richard Simcott (not sure if this is the correct spelling) and Moses?

Basically, as Pastulio6267 said, "haters gonna hate" :)
Hopefully these comments just make him work harder with languages and better himself, I don't know much about him but I think he's smart enough to realize that youtube comments shouldn't be taken seriously.

TixhiiDon wrote:
Someone once said that the comments section of YouTube makes him lose all hope in
humanity.
Youtube comments tend to do that...
2 persons have voted this message useful

mcjon77
United States
Joined 6407 days ago

193 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 10 of 41
26 June 2010 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
I wonder how many other polyglots are reluctant to post videos after seeing the garbage guys like Moses, Steve Kaufman, and Richard have to put up with.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5465 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 11 of 41
26 June 2010 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
People do write stupid comments on youtube. They write even worse things in youtube private messages. Moses says it helps him grow a thick skin, but at the same time I am sure some of the stupid messages must sting for a while.

I spoke to a polyglot recently who received a very inaccurate comment of a very personal nature on his youtube channel, and my mouth dropped open at the willingness of somebody to write such things and (I presume) get satisfaction from it.

Even my own humble channel has already had a "stalker", with somebody writing very offensive messages about my physical appearance, my "gay" voice, and - more strangely wild guesses at my sexual preferences.

Of course, we all know these things are nonsense, but I saw somewhere a claim that a negative comment has 20 times the emotional impact and retention in memory of a positive one. I don't know if the figures are true, but I am sure the spirit of it is true.

The only thing you can do is keep telling yourself "that is just some moron being stupid" and try your best to ignore it.
18 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 12 of 41
26 June 2010 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
I have very little to say about Moses.
If he refuses to take the time to plan what he's going to say, I'm not going to waste my time listening to him waffle, hesitate, deviate, repeat stuff etc. I haven't attempted to watch one of his videos since he responded to a thread here by posting half an hour of unscripted ramblings on YouTube, and after half an hour I found out he hadn't responded to the points I'd raised.

I just thought that was so utterly antisocial that I didn't want to have anything to do with him.
(In fact, I had a lot harsher words about it at the time....)
17 persons have voted this message useful

Thatzright
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5468 days ago

202 posts - 311 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, German, Russian

Message 13 of 41
26 June 2010 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
95% of all YouTube videos I view have absolute nonsense written in the comments, and I'm sure that Moses' videos are no exception. I don't also quite believe that these people are serious when writing these, but since it's the internet, why not write stuff like that, right? I mean, don't let me even get started on what I've seen on political videos... In general, HTLAL is one of, if not the most civilized discussion forum I've come across on the internet, so I'm sure that comments like those will seem rather rude.
3 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5260 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 14 of 41
26 June 2010 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
I have very little to say about Moses.

But you just couldn't resist saying a little more here.
25 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5634 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 15 of 41
26 June 2010 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
I don't think he's a bad person and it's certainly not my problem what he posts on youtube and I would not dream of posting a nasty comment on his channel.

I don't think his skills in all these languages he "speaks" run very deep though, and I don't think he is great a model for others to follow, unless being a youtube sensation is their motivation for learning languages. What I heard him say seemed very like a re-hash of Pimsleur which is not my idea of useful language skills.

As I have said before, I believe in quality, not quantity when it comes to languages learning. MMc has the opposite approach, I believe. And like others said, it's not just him, there are plenty of people like that. Personally I struggle to see their motivation but if that's what they want to spend their time on, it's their problem.
19 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6068 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 16 of 41
26 June 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
The Internet, unfortunately, really streamlines the process of writing poison-pen letters. Alongside its many benefits, it can bring out the worst in people.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version