5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 41
26 June 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Zorrillo wrote:
From the videos I've seen, he doesn't boast or claim to be an expert in all his languages. He acknowledges that he is a student of languages, and accepts feedback from natives.

Yes, he accepts corrections in a friendly way, I can confirm this.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 26 June 2010 at 10:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

m32amir
Heptaglot
Groupie
Canada
youtube.com/user/m32Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5446 days ago

53 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, English, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Turkish, Mandarin

Message 26 of 41
27 June 2010 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I think it’s very nice that his youtube channel is popular among language learners. It’s really nice to have Moses and on youtube and on this forum! I think he is a good guy.
I’ve seen about 8 videos made by Moses and I think once you’ve seen 2 or 3 videos of his you’ve seen them all.

Whether he tries to say 5 or 6 phrases in some foreign language (constantly repeating himself) or he speaks English covering some topic related to language learning the quality of his videos is extremely low. Frankly, I would not recommend watching his videos even to those who are learning English not to mention learners of other languages that Moses teaches (or tries to teach).
I would like to make it very clear that I do think it’s nice to have Moses on youtube and I do mean it.

To me it’s a good reflection of human’s nature. There is no guarantee that all governors are brightest minds. Something similar is happening with online-polyglot community. Not necessarily the best polyglots become popular on youtube.

Moses, for example, is no polyglot in my opinion and yet he managed to get youtube partnership agreement. In fact, real polyglots do not make videos that often because they are really busy maintaining and perfecting their knowledge or for other reasons.

Fortunately there are some great videos such as Multilingual interview with Luca, Hyperpolyglot video, or Become a Polyglot in Minutes not Years and many others submitted by guys from Spain.

Edited by m32amir on 27 June 2010 at 1:02pm

18 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6068 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 27 of 41
27 June 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
I am not a big fan of his style, but his contributions are valuable and useful to many.

I just find it utterly absurd and ridiculous that someone could "hate" him because of his videos and posts.

It may be absurd and ridiculous but that's pretty par for the course on the Web. It may seem odd that language-learning can give rise to feelings of hatred but it is surprising how much animosity can be found among academics. So much that odium scholasticae is a set Latin phrase (not totally sure of the spelling).

But it is on discussion sites devoted to politics or religion that some people really push the boat out and you start to understand why shooting wars break out.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5875 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 41
27 June 2010 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Sure, some of the normal chatting videos he posts might be a bit long-winded and
repetitive, but he does post a bunch of really useful stuff as well. I remember finding
his Japanese videos very interesting when I was studying the language.
1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5123 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 29 of 41
28 June 2010 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:

As I have said before, I believe in quality, not quantity when it comes to languages learning. MMc has the opposite approach, I believe. And like others said, it's not just him, there are plenty of people like that. Personally I struggle to see their motivation but if that's what they want to spend their time on, it's their problem.
To each his own.
Some people like to dabble in languages, just to get a taste of many different ones.
4 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5123 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 30 of 41
28 June 2010 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee wrote:
This idea can be traced back to Plato, who explored the idea of what people are like when they realize that there are no consequences to their actions.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Oscar Wilde

The Internet is like a mask.

Edited by johntm93 on 28 June 2010 at 1:12am

4 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6175 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 41
28 June 2010 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Youtube videos or not, Moses is a member of this forum and deserves the same respect that any other member receives.
13 persons have voted this message useful

FrauLola
Diglot
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

5 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Swedish

Message 32 of 41
06 July 2010 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't mind being his friend!

What's important is that he's enjoying what he's doing. And doing what he enjoys. As we all know, when it comes to the internet (youtube, forums, etc.) It's so easy for people to be anonymous and flame others unnecessarily.. but what they're really doing is exposing themselves as insecure, insignificant weasels. So jokes on them!

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version