cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5635 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 41 of 66
05 July 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
I love this "Esperanto for the EU" idea (in case you hadn't noticed).

What Volte wrote about people having their "own" accents when speaking Esperanto is sounds really funky -- that way they would make it their own and use it has a handy backup to their own language...

Instead of this eternal "which-language-should-I-speak-with-this person" equation that you always have to work out when travelling in Europe with tons of nonsense being "parameters" to decide whether to struggle on in French or something, switch to English or something else.

I wish this Esperanto party could take up some other, more populistic cause, so that more people would vote form them in EU elections.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5831 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 42 of 66
05 July 2010 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
I don't like it because it is sloppy and easy, and not exciting at all ^_^. But that's a personal opinion.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5124 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 43 of 66
06 July 2010 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
Tyr wrote:
 English's dominance isn't due to the dominace of the US. Its more down to the former dominance of Britain spreading it so much and then the US picking up directly from this and running.
It has a lot to do with both. England spread it to many places (Australia, America, India to some extent, etc.) but without the US becoming (excuse my "arrogance" in this) one of the more important countries in the world shortly after the British empire started falling apart, the importance of English stayed as well. With new technology and easier communication, and the rise of American media, English spread.

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5839 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 44 of 66
07 July 2010 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
You do realize that if Esperanto ever became important it would start "behaving" like a "normal" language don't you? Just like English and Spanish Esperanto would become a threat to lesser used languages.

Just like English it would become a source of loan words.

You might not like the idea of your native language borrowing English words but Esperanto is not going to save your language. In fact it could destroy it.

cordelia0507 wrote:
I love this "Esperanto for the EU" idea (in case you hadn't noticed).

What Volte wrote about people having their "own" accents when speaking Esperanto is sounds really funky -- that way they would make it their own and use it has a handy backup to their own language...

Instead of this eternal "which-language-should-I-speak-with-this person" equation that you always have to work out when travelling in Europe with tons of nonsense being "parameters" to decide whether to struggle on in French or something, switch to English or something else.

I wish this Esperanto party could take up some other, more populistic cause, so that more people would vote form them in EU elections.

Edited by John Smith on 07 July 2010 at 5:15pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

crackpot
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6098 days ago

144 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 45 of 66
09 July 2010 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
I am not in favor of any artificial language becoming a lingua franca in Europe, nor
any language for that matter. One thing we love about Europe is the ability switch
languages when travelling so frequently.

I think that we forget that the America IS a European country. The same for Canada,
Australia, New Zealand and large parts of Latin America. We speak European languages,
we are mostly Christians, we have European ancestors, we live like Europeans, we eat
European food, we have European political traditions. There are differences of course
but these are minor things.

In the future we will have roughly 10-12 dominant languages in the world and Europe
will be well positioned linguistically, as it is now, to take advantage of this. A
lingua franca would diminish this.

As far as education is concerned, I think the idea of learning two additional languages
at school in addition to your own (without stating which languages) is doable and
sensible.

Finally, I agree with an earlier post that the idea that Chinese will become dominant
is a unlikely. We now have enormous amounts of people in most countries in the world
who speak English plus several major and populace countries whose major language is
English. They use this not just to communicate with native English speakers but also
with others who speak languages they don't understand.
2 persons have voted this message useful

MäcØSŸ
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5606 days ago

259 posts - 392 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2

Message 46 of 66
20 July 2010 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
The best policy in my opinion would be a limited multilingualism.
For instance we could make official languages of the EU the 6 languages with the most native speakers, but no more than 2 for every language
(sub)family. That would mean German, English, Italian, French, Polish and Greek.
This choice would diminish the chances of one language dominating on all the others (which could eventually bring to their extinction), reducing at the
same time the expenses and difficulties of governing simultaneously in 25+ languages.
Singapore is a tiny city-state and has 4 official languages, so I think that 6 is not a big number for a whole continent.
2 persons have voted this message useful

chucknorrisman
Triglot
United States
Joined 5245 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 47 of 66
20 July 2010 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
I've said this on the thread about the feasibility of a world language, and I think with some editing it may fit in this topic as well.

I like how Iceland promotes its own language's purism and protects it while still teaching English to a strong level. I feel such a policy will ensure a linguistic and cultural diversity while still promoting an international auxiliary language.

I wish many countries would do that too; for example, I wish (your country) would start teaching better (whatever is decided as the lingua franca) while protecting the (your country's vernacular) language's grammar, vocabulary, its importance in the region, etc as well, instead of haphazardly borrowing words from (the lingua franca) and butchering their pronunciations in a feeble attempt to be seen as more "international" and open to other cultures.

What do you think of that? Promoting the local vernacular's purism while also promoting the learning of a global language.

John Smith wrote:
That's just crazy! Europe is going to fall behind the rest of the world. It takes a lot of effort to learn ONE language let alone TWO languages.

I can see the future now. In order to promote multilingualism silly subjects like Science and Maths will no longer be taught. They will be replaced by linguistics, Language A and Language B.

In the future Europeans will no longer know how to count and will believe that the Earth is flat. They will however be able to say hello in 25 languages!!!!!!

If you think that's crazy, you should see what's going on in Korea...

Edited by chucknorrisman on 20 July 2010 at 7:09pm

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5150 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French

Message 48 of 66
20 July 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
From a practical standpoint, being an official language doesn't mean much more than having the most important documents (regulations, directives, high-profile decisions) translated into that language.
For instance, the European Commission has three working languages: English, French and German.
French is still the formal working language within the EU Court.

EU's policies towards languages don't seem to go beyond funding language programmes and the inevitable reports on which Member States have a higher percentage of population speaking a second, third, ... language, which Member States have progressed the least, etc.
And honestely, I'd say 'Keep it up!'. Frankly, the whole organisation is already looking so unstable as it is that it could only collapse were people just suggested to have another official language.

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version