Joined 6573 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 30
13 July 2010 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
This thread proves there is a lot of different advice or different recommendations on how to learn a language.

Would I recommend my strategy? Yes.
But not to just anyone. I would first have to question the learner to find out if they qualify. Only a few special people are really qualified. The others would just give up right away, so it's not really worth spending the time trying to encourage them.
1 person has voted this message useful

Andrew~
Groupie
United States
howlearnspanish.com
Joined 5064 days ago

42 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 10 of 30
13 July 2010 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
If their OBJECTIVE(s) in learning the language was the same as mine, then yes, I would. However, I place a lot of emphasis on being able to speak with native speakers, I place more emphasis on that than anything else, and if you're more concerned about being able to read the literature of the language, then my method, I guarantee you, would not be the best one for you to use.

It depends on what you want to do, what you intend to use the language for.

Edited by Andrew~ on 13 July 2010 at 6:10pm

kidshomestunner
United Kingdom
Joined 6201 days ago

239 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: Japanese

Message 11 of 30
13 July 2010 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Keith wrote:
This thread proves there is a lot of different advice or different recommendations on how to learn a language.

But not to just anyone. I would first have to question the learner to find out if they qualify. Only a few special people are really qualified. The others would just give up right away, so it's not really worth spending the time trying to encourage them.

That's nonsense. Eugene Nida states that almost anyone can learn a foreign language and Gunnermark and Gethin say the same thing with different words in the art and science of language learning. It isn't that hard. Saying that "only a few special people are qualified" without any references to back this up is elitist, ridiculous, and perhaps more importantly without reference or argument. It is just a statement. I have three heavyweight polyglots behind my argument who do you have behind yours????

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 30
13 July 2010 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
kidshomestunner wrote:
Keith wrote:

That's nonsense. Eugene Nida states that almost anyone can learn a foreign language and Gunnermark and Gethin say the same thing with different words in the art and science of language learning. It isn't that hard. Saying that "only a few special people are qualified" without any references to back this up is elitist, ridiculous, and perhaps more importantly without reference or argument.

Just because almost anyone can learn a foreign language doesn't mean that almost anyone can learn a foreign language via a specific strategy which is demanding in some unusual way. If Keith's method requires something particularly difficult, his statement is perfectly reasonable.

kidshomestunner wrote:

It is just a statement. I have three heavyweight polyglots behind my argument who do you have behind yours????

Argument from authority is a logical fallacy - and your citation shows no comprehension of what was actually said in the post you are responding to, because your reply does not address it.

kidshomestunner
United Kingdom
Joined 6201 days ago

239 posts - 285 votes 

Message 13 of 30
14 July 2010 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
No method for learning a foreign language is particularly difficult: Can you name one that is?

kidshomestunner
United Kingdom
Joined 6201 days ago

239 posts - 285 votes 

Message 14 of 30
14 July 2010 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
I understand what Keith is saying. He thinks that not everybody is qualified to use his special ultra method.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 15 of 30
14 July 2010 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
kidshomestunner wrote:
No method for learning a foreign language is particularly difficult: Can you name one that is?

Sure, a lot of methods are for various people.

Memorizing whole books word-for-word is difficult for most people.
Audio-based methods are difficult for the deaf.
Methods based on written literature are difficult for the severely dyslexic or functionally illiterate.
Drill-based methods are totally unsuitable (and extremely difficult) for people like me who turn off thinking and do the drills mechanically - I can profit from some grammar-based exercises, etc, but I simply cannot successfully use FSI.
True L-R is impossible for people who don't have the time to do it intensively.
Methods which are contrary to your perception about how you should learn, or otherwise frustrate you or cause cognitive dissonance are more difficult.
Methods which take a lot of self-discipline, rote learning, or other attribute in which the average level of your society is low are going to be difficult for most members of that society.

Some of these barriers can be overcome, but they're still barriers.

You'll also find no end of forum posts from people who have become fluent in one or more languages, but find certain methods that others here enjoy to be difficult, inefficient, or impossible to use for various reasons - many of the Assimil vs FSI threads illustrate this.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5473 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 16 of 30
14 July 2010 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
I would recommend programs to beginners, but probably not specific strategies. Most
programs I use aren't too intimidating or complex for beginners. However, some of my
strategies sound difficult until they're tried. Once a beginner has gotten used to the
programs, I might suggest alternative ways of using them.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version