30 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
kidshomestunner
United Kingdom
Joined 6201 days ago

239 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: Japanese

Message 25 of 30
15 July 2010 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=Keith]   No, we can't describe it a bit.

/QUOTE]

I have my translation log open for everyone to see, I leave myself open to critique: Could you open another thread to discuss your method please??
1 person has voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5875 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 30
15 July 2010 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Discussing the childhood of tennis players seems a little off-topic. ;p

I would definitely recommend my strategy to people learning languages, and I already do.
I'm very happy with what I've learned with regards to the amount of work I've put into
it.

Start out with Assimil, read native materials with a dictionary as soon as you can find
them, perhaps SRS a bit and see if it helps. L-R a LOT.

This is what I've got so far though, but I think it's a very good start.

kidshomestunner
United Kingdom
Joined 6201 days ago

239 posts - 285 votes 

Message 27 of 30
15 July 2010 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
mrhenrik wrote:
Discussing the childhood of tennis players seems a little off-topic. ;p

I would definitely recommend my strategy to people learning languages, and I already do.
I'm very happy with what I've learned with regards to the amount of work I've put into
it.

Start out with Assimil, read native materials with a dictionary as soon as you can find
them, perhaps SRS a bit and see if it helps. L-R a LOT.

This is what I've got so far though, but I think it's a very good start.

Yeah, sorry I was translating last night and my mind was drifting.... Thanks for explaning your method. I just hope Keith is as open about his method...

NuclearGorilla
Diglot
United States
Joined 6582 days ago

166 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 28 of 30
16 July 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
kidshomestunner wrote:
I have my translation log open for everyone to see, I leave myself open to critique: Could you open another thread to discuss your method please??

There is a rather sparse and antiquated thread here which might be adequate to get the gist of it.

kidshomestunner
United Kingdom
Joined 6201 days ago

239 posts - 285 votes 

Message 29 of 30
17 July 2010 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
NuclearGorilla wrote:
kidshomestunner wrote:

There is a rather sparse and antiquated thread here which might be adequate to get the gist of it.

Ok thanks, it is a bit like the Powell Alexander Janulus stuff I know about Thanks again.

The main criticism of this method is that found in the loom of language: Can an adult really learn a language like a child? I don't really think so.

Edited by kidshomestunner on 17 July 2010 at 12:32am

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6739 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 30 of 30
17 July 2010 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
kidshomestunner wrote:
Can an adult really learn a language like a child? I don't really think so.

Some immigrants learn their new language entirely through immersion - the main difference with children seems to be that the level of competence reached in this fashion varies greatly from individual to individual. Here is one success story from this forum, although it was more of a "graded immersion" than the more normal kind, when there is hardly any help available.

Learning a language from scratch as an adult by "passive immersion", sitting in front of TV, is more experimental than active immersion, so it is understandable if someone doesn't feel ready to recommend it.

Edited by frenkeld on 19 July 2010 at 12:16am

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version