Diglot
United States
Joined 5290 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 28
14 July 2010 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
The other day I met a professor who spoke 10 languages. He was a nice guy and I got to
check out his collection of books which he accumulated over the years and it was
definitely really motivational.

But then I thought, how many more people have reached fluency in many languages and are
hyperpolyglots themselves but will never receive any recognition? I typed in "polyglots"
into a google search and a few people who know 7 or 8 languages popped up. I am sure
there are quite a few, especially in places where people learn 3-4 languages from the
time they are born. I just wanted to see what other people though about this.
1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5137 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 28
14 July 2010 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
Probably a good number. Some don't care for recognition, and it's not like polyglots get amazing amounts of attention anyway. Turn on the news and how many polyglots are there? None. But I'd bet money that some talentless, person like Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan will be all over the news.

Edited by johntm93 on 14 July 2010 at 8:22pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5083 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 3 of 28
14 July 2010 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
These people are most likely to exist in border regions, usually of great empires, and then also have a minority
status. For example, highly educated Jews living in Vilnius before WWII might very likely have known Lithuanian,
Polish, German, Russian, Yiddish, and perhaps Hebrew (not as a spoken, but a written and liturgical language), in
addition to perhaps another one or two "international" languages, such as French and English. So there's a
hyperpolyglot for you already. Or say in 1900 in Thessaloniki, someone might know Ladino, Greek, Turkish, and
Bulgarian, just because of where he lived, in addition to another few languages, such as French and Italian, from his
education.

The great utility and even necessity of being a polyglot is dying however.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 28
14 July 2010 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
I agree that the necessity of being a polyglot is dying out in these days where English
and Google Translate are rapidly conquering the world. But there will always be some
collectors out there, and because it has become so much easier to get study materials and
international contacts through the internet I guess that the number of 'silent' polyglots
may be a lot higher than expected.
2 persons have voted this message useful

crackpot
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6111 days ago

144 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 5 of 28
14 July 2010 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
When I was a child, my father had a business associate that came to our home about once
per year and he claimed to be able to speak eight languages. I was quite young so I
didn't get the details, but he was a Jewish man living in Montreal so I assume that two
of the languages, in addition to English, were French and Hebrew.

In regards to the idea of being born in a border area being beneficial, Canadians are
much more likely to be bilingual if they come from either Quebec or adjacent areas.

Another means of getting some languages for free, or at least at a discount, is being an
immigrant, though being an immigrant and living in a border area don't normally jive. I
know no immigrants who speak both English and French and I used to live in Ottawa.

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6249 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 6 of 28
14 July 2010 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
Most people who are polyglots speak the languages they speak not to be polyglots, but because they want to speak those languages. I would suspect that the majority couldn't care less whether people know they speak multiple languages or not.

Especially those who live in multilingual areas. Everyone in the Gaeltacht (Irish speaking areas) are bilingual, and some of them will learn more languages on top of that. Same with immigrants etc. The difference is whether polyglotism is a goal in itself, or whether one learns the languages one learns because you want to. Most are the latter, I suppose some are the former.
2 persons have voted this message useful

aarontp
Groupie
United States
Joined 5077 days ago

94 posts - 139 votes 

Message 7 of 28
14 July 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
My Great-Grandfather, an immigrant from Poland, spoke Russian, Polish, Yiddish, English,
and probably had reading knowledge of Hebrew, and he wasn't well educated.

Concerning modern polygots, I would think some of the affluent Greeks living in Beirut,
Lebanon, would have a good chance of speaking Greek, Arabic (Levantine), French, English,
and possibly Hebrew; as well as knowing classical Greek and written Arabic.

Edited by aarontp on 14 July 2010 at 8:46pm

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6182 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 8 of 28
15 July 2010 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
There's no doubt going to be people who learn foreign languages for a long time yet.
English is only spoken by a fraction of the world and if you want to go to a foreign
country and really talk to the locals human-to-human Google translate doesn't help there
at all. There's probably several thousands of polyglots or more in the world and millions
upon millions who speak three or four languages. The majority of the planet speaks two
languages. Monolinguals are still the odd ones out.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version