Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
52 messages over 7 pages: 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>
irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5421 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 17 of 52
30 July 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
OBSERVATION
My 2 week "preparations" are definitely not going too well! This has nothing to do with Hungarian difficulties. This "out of sight, out of mind" concept is one reason it takes so many people a very long time to learn a language. I've "had the time", but I've been focused on other things since Hungarian is not "necessary" for me right now.

This is one reason why more exposure to natives from the start really is necessary. Hungarian is still just a list of rules in some books to me right now, but this time next week it will be an actual language spoken by human beings and this will change my motivation completely. Especially if I am very careful to make sure I get into the right routines of using the language asap.

Even before travelling I achieved a better command over Portuguese while living in Paris, by meeting up with as many Brazilians as possible.

For someone academically minded, perhaps studying can be very beneficial, but the likes of me need something concrete to make this a reality in our lives. Apart from the summary given in the previous page based on an hour or two's study, I haven't learned any Hungarian!

I'll have lots of dead time on Sunday at the airport and flying etc. so I will likely end up doing my typical last-minute cram of phrases then. In future I will not be attempting a study-preparation period like this again. If I start learning a language while abroad, I will (as I so strongly suggest on my blog) attempt to speak it from day one with natives, whether they are immigrants I can meet or if I speak to them online.

Study just puts a language in the wrong context for me. It needs to be spoken to be a language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 18 of 52
08 August 2010 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
Benny,

I too am trying to learn Hungarian...but I'm giving myself longer than 3 months! As per your advice I started a blog
which is documenting my quest to conquer this challenging language. Anyone, feel free to visit it at:

http://mainlymagyar.wordpress.com/

any words of encouragement or advice will be gladly appreciated!!

Keep up the good work Benny. You are an inspiration to the rest of us!!

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5232 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 19 of 52
09 August 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
Just discovered this thread as I have been away for a while. Will be following this challenge with great interest too
as Hungarian fascinates me. I think I first encountered it in a Monty Python sketch ("my hovercraft is full of eels").
Also, a neighbour of ours is in Budapest at the moment because you need very high points to do medicine in
Ireland. Plus eastern Europe in general fascinates me.
If you really like the language you can join this group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?
gid=3390345526 :D

Edited by brian91 on 09 August 2010 at 12:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5421 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language

Message 20 of 52
10 August 2010 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
@Liddy Thanks! Your blog looks interesting - I'll be reading along and I'm sure your realisations will help me too!

@Brian Glad you'll be joining along the story to see how far I get! My speaking starts this week (eek!!)
That group link isn't working - some Facebook pages limit their views only to certain countries. If you manage the group you may want to change the settings to allow Hungarian IP addresses to look at it ;)

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5939 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 21 of 52
10 August 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Very interested to read about your Hungarian progress. I find an old post of mine that compared some Hungarian pronoun cases to Irish.

Hungarian Instrumental

Irish        Hungarian
Liom (with me) = Velem
Leat (with you) = Veled
Leis (with him) = Vele \ Önnel
Lei (with her) = Vele \ Önnel
Linn (with us) = Velünk
Libh (with you.pl) = Veletek
Leo (with them) = Velük \ Önökkel

Hungarian Suppressive

Irish        Hungarian
Orm (on me) = Rajtam
Ort (on you) = Rajtad
Air (on him) = Rajta \ Önön
Uirthi(on her) = Rajta \ Önön
Orainn (on us) = Rajtunk
Oraibh (on you.pl)= Rajtatok
Orthu (on them) = Rajtuk \ Önökön

I've been dabbling on and off in Hungarian for a number of years. What resources are you using for your study ?

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5421 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 

Message 22 of 52
10 August 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks Daragh! Yes, "preposition conjugation" (for lack of a better term) is something that immediately struck me as another thing that is given a lot of attention in books I am looking at but seems totally normal and straightforward to me thanks to Gaeilge :)

I just grabbed a few books from Amazon and am happy to see that the previous resident of the apartment I've just moved into left Colloquial Hungarian and Teach Yourself Hungarian for me! I've also got some phrasebooks and SRS (Anki) to study on my phone for vocab.

As you'll know if you read my blog my main "resource" is human beings ;) I'll be out and practising what I know this week!

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5232 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 23 of 52
10 August 2010 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:
That group link isn't working - some Facebook pages limit their views only to certain
countries. If you manage the group you may want to change the settings to allow Hungarian IP addresses to look at
it ;)

Woops, sorry. The name os the group is "Hungarians Speak the Coolest Language Ever!!!!" That's four exclamation
marks, so it's an enthusiastic group.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 24 of 52
19 August 2010 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
What's the latest , Benny??   Mi ujsag? Mit megy a magyarul??

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version