Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
52 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>
irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5421 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 41 of 52
20 September 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Liddy - all will be revealed soon! Although I don't really take suggestions, it's always worth trying to convince me for future missions! Better to focus on culture than linguistics though ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6824 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, ItalianB1
Studies: French, Hungarian, Esperanto, Czech

Message 42 of 52
20 September 2010 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Sok sikert kivánok! Az nem kevés amit tervesztél. De mindenképpen jól választál szerintem. A magyar olyan szép nyelv. És nagyon érdemes Budapesten néhány honap tölteni.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 43 of 52
20 September 2010 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:
Thanks Liddy - all will be revealed soon!
Although I don't really take suggestions, it's always worth trying to convince me for future missions! Better to focus on culture than linguistics though ;)

Ha ha ha!!   Awww,....    I worked in Turkey for six weeks several years ago. It is an AMAZING place!! You wouldn't be disappointed. Anyhow Sok sikert and I'm gonna miss reading your Hungarian posts!

Edited by liddytime on 20 September 2010 at 11:59pm

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5421 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language

Message 44 of 52
30 September 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Reached another milestone today!

I had a two minute long telephone conversation ENTIRELY IN HUNGARIAN.

This many not sound so impressive at first glance, but keep in mind that I've only been in Hungary for two months now (and I didn't even really start the Hungarian mission until two weeks into living here). I rely on social queues and visual feedback a lot, so telephone conversations do genuinely scare me in early stages of learning a language. In fact, I don't like telephone conversations period. I only have a phone to use Internet, apps, send texts - anything but to telephone...

So about an hour ago I got a call from a friend. When I saw her my instinct was to not even answer - I had only ever spoken Hungarian in person. But then I remembered that she speaks German so if I really have no clue what she's saying at least I have a plan B.

She just wanted to tell me that she is feeling sick and can't meet me today and we rescheduled for some time later. She wanted to confirm how long I will still be in Hungary etc. - the whole conversation was two minutes long. I was still hesitant to speak so confidently, but I said everything I needed to say - formed correct sentences, and most importantly UNDERSTOOD HER without needing for her to repeat.

Of course, since she knew me, she knew to speak clearly, but it certainly felt like a natural conversation! I hate phones, so I'm even more proud of myself for not caving and reverting to German at any stage. I am right on schedule in terms of progress!

I'll be interviewed in Hungarian and the video will go up on my site most likely the week I'll be leaving. I am also announcing my next language mission on my e-mail list on Monday if you want to know in advance. (You can sign up on the right of my blog) Otherwise I'll make a new log here mid October to chronicle that!

But I still have two weeks left in the Hungarian mission and will be giving it my all!

Edited by irishpolyglot on 30 September 2010 at 9:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6235 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 45 of 52
03 October 2010 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:
People keep suggesting languages to me with reasons that don't concern me at all like number of speakers (when I'm in the country, EVERYONE speaks the language...)

Haha, I use both arguments. Keep up the good work!

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5421 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 

Message 46 of 52
10 October 2010 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
MISSION ALMOST OVER

Yesterday I sat down with a Hungarian blogger and friend of mine and we had a 15 minute chat in the language with my camera rolling. I'll edit it down to just the interesting parts and show that on the blog (most likely Tuesday) so people can hear how I'm speaking.

As stated from the start, I wasn't aiming for "fluent", especially since I have only spent two months in Budapest in total (the first month before arrival was wasted doing work that could have been done in 5-10 hours), but I am happy to say:
MISSION COMPLETE

I have reached a stage of being "conversational" in Hungarian.
What I *can* do:
  • Meet someone new and have a casual conversation with them if they speak clearly
  • Talk about a range of topics that I am generally interested in
  • Keep it up for hours without frustrating anyone - people have said they enjoy talking to me
  • Have mature intermediate conversations
  • Not need to rely AT ALL on English (or German etc.) to get my point across or understand their rephrasing when I admit that I don't understand.
  • Make new friends who only speak Hungarian and maintain meaningful relationships with them only in Hungarian - this was my main reason for learning the language after all.

What I *can't* do:
  • Follow two natives speaking completely naturally between one another (they have to slow down slightly and be aware not to use slang for my benefit)
  • Speak with any kind of "fluency": I hesitate and say "em.." a lot, and replace the word I really want to say with a simpler one very frequently. So the conversation is far from natural
  • Talk about "anything" - my conversational skills are ideal for going out with people to pubs (even though I don't drink) and generally being friendly. Unlike many language learners, I don't talk much about the language itself, so I don't discuss linguistics and can't debate philosophy; but as stated above these are not things I'm interested in, in ANY language.

Overall: yes I can have a conversation with anyone (the mission), but no I can't talk about anything and they have to be aware to talk clearly with me. The lack of lots of familiar vocabulary like I had in French etc. was a disadvantage, but there were otherwise no major challenges posed by Hungarian that other languages didn't offer. This was EASIER for me than Spanish because I now have a better attitude to learning languages. It took me almost a year to reach my current stage in Hungarian, in Spanish.

So no, Hungarian is not going on any pedestal of difficulty for me as something to warn people about. But it was a fascinating language to learn about and I *will* be maintaining it for the rest of the year (see next mission, mentioned soon enough!) - I will decide at the end of the year if I want to add it to my permanent list (I don't do this for all language missions, as maintaining each one is a lot of work).

Hopefully you will enjoy watching the video of me having a non-fluent but pleasant conversation, and I hope you enjoyed following this mission :) Another one coming soon :D
3 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 47 of 52
10 October 2010 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Benny,

Can't wait to see the video. I have been trying to learn Hungarian for about the same length of time as yourself
so I'll be interested to see how much of it I can follow. I hope you do try to maintain your Hungarian because I,
myself am finding it truly is a fascinating language and SO completely different from other languages I have
attempted to study.

It is funny how when I took up Hungarian, so many people confronted me

" OHHHHHH, that's such a HARD language. It's impossible for an English speaker to learn Hungarian!"

I, like you, have found the opposite. It is very logical, no gender and no complex verb-forms! ( both of which
continue to trip me up when speaking my Romance languages)

Pretty impressive. In two months you have become more fluent in a "hard" language like Hungarian than most
people I know that have taken four plus years of an "easy" language in school.

I'll miss your Hungarian posts but will continue to follow you on your blog!

Vislat baratam!
2 persons have voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5421 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 

Message 48 of 52
11 October 2010 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Here is the video! Your thoughts appreciated :)

@Liddy I imagine you'll follow me very easily. I use simple vocabulary. Any basic learner would follow me. The trick is TAKING PART in such a conversation though :P
Note that I haven't become "fluent". I'm calling this conversational for a good reason. I lack ease of "flow" at my current level but am confident to converse with people.

I will be maintaining Hungarian during the next mission and will blog about that, so the story hasn't ended just yet :) More on that soon!

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version