Hexaglot
Italy
Joined 6052 days ago

166 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: Italian, Serbo-Croatian*, English, Russian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Arabic (classical), German, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 162 of 278
12 August 2008 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone! I've read only the first post, I'd just like to share my experience on the Assimil method. All I have to say is that, so far, it's the very best method I've encountered. As I'm just a university student so I couldn't afford myself any expensive course, I went to the local book store and bought their "Il Portoghese senza sforzo". Now I didn't even read 100 pages of it, after 4 months I could already have nice conversations in that language. It may be because I already knew Italian, so it was really easy for me, all I know is that 3 months were all I needed. I also bought their "Il Russo senza sforzo", and I'm loving it, even though I've read about a half of it I can already have some simple conversations in Russian (it may be because I already know Bosnian, who knows hehe). All in all, I've been having a great time with those books, when I'll start French, I'll add "Il Francese senza sforzo" on my list for sure.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Krisp
Dominican Republic
Joined 5739 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 163 of 278
13 August 2008 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
I also believe Assimil is a great course. I add all the sentences to an SRS as well, just to drill home the language. So far I have used "Italian with ease" and "Il Russo senza sforzo". Very useful courses indeed.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6208 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 164 of 278
13 August 2008 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
So do you think assimil can teach you a language to a "basic-fluency" level?

Cheers

Krisp
Dominican Republic
Joined 5739 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 165 of 278
13 August 2008 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
With additions to about 3000-5000 sentences using the sentence method I'd say so. But that's just my opinion. It worked well enough for me to learn Russian using the Assimil Russian course using Italian as the base language.

scootermclean
Diglot
Groupie
United States
scottmclean.net
Joined 6268 days ago

69 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Basque

Message 166 of 278
18 August 2008 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Kugel wrote:
Anyone have a problem with the Assmil texts mixing up the tenses(time and aspect) of verbs when translating English into the target language? I've noticed that sometimes the grammar on the English translation was incorrect. I don't think Assimil does a good job taking care of these nuances.

The Using Spanish course is a good example of bad translations. What other Assimil courses should we be cautious of?

I will confirm this, I after picking up the Using Spanish course I was astounded at how bad a lot of the translations were.

phouk
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5828 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 167 of 278
27 August 2008 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
On amazon.fr, I saw there's a new 100-lesson 665-page edition of "Assimil: Le Russe" out. It was apparently published in July 2008; the author's name is "Victoria Melnikova-Suchet".

Has anyone had a chance to look at the book/course yet and can compare it with the older editions (Dronov and Bratousse/Balakhonov)? Is it any good?

If it is, I hope it gets translated to English or German soon, I don't know any French...

phouk
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5828 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 168 of 278
31 August 2008 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
No answers yet? Does no one want to comment, or is no one reading the thread anymore?
BTW, the new edition is also visible on www.assimil.fr when choosing French as the base language.

This discussion contains 278 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version