languagelearners.myf
Joined 5784 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 193 of 278
22 October 2009 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
habadzi wrote:
Tahnks. How do I know which one is which? full vs. short course? Incidentally Pimsleur is awfully confusing on the same issue.

Take a look here and you can see. Otherwise it's marked on the product itself...
1 person has voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5311 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 194 of 278
29 October 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
akshay.bakaya wrote:

As for Assimil Hindi, there's a new mp3 edition out.

You see the written text appear in Hindi script on your computer screen and hear each sentence by clicking on it.

You can even load the complete course onto your iPhone or another touch-screen mobile,
and touch each sentence with your finger to hear the corresponding recording !

A good enough reason to buy the Assimil Hindi course again, if you had the older 4-CD edition !

I am not so sure about that. I had the multimedia version of Polish, but never use it because:

1. You can't carry it around with you, I listen to the lessons on repeat while walking with the stroller, riding to and from sporting activities and those days I ralk to work.
2. Since you only look at the translation once or twice, it's easier to have it in book form than having to start up the program.
3. Likewise, for languages where writing corresponds closely to sound, there is no real need to look at the target language text more than once either.

Perhaps Hindi is different though.

One use for the multimedia version comes to mind:

Since the conversations are stored as individual phrases, rather than lessons, you can use them with Anki or another SRS to get instant audio flashcards! Come to think of it, it IS worth buying the computer version...

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6642 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 195 of 278
03 November 2009 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
This sounds wonderful. Is it an application for an iphone, or html format? I don't have an iphone, but perhaps it would work on other eletronic devices...?

draoicht
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 6103 days ago

89 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 196 of 278
03 November 2009 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
Kubelek wrote:
This sounds wonderful. Is it an application for an iphone, or html format? I don't have an iphone, but perhaps it would work on other eletronic devices...?

I'm guessing that they're just ordinary MP3 files with the sentence you're listening to showing up on the screen as the name of the MP3.

If I'm right, they could be read and played on any MP3 player with a screen.

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5394 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 197 of 278
03 November 2009 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
It's not an iphone app. I have a very basic ipod and the target language dialogue is displayed on it. It is also quite simple to edit out the exercises in itunes because every sentence is stored as an individual song. Just make sure you buy the mp3 version of the program. I am a klutz when it comes to technology and I managed to negotiate it without any problems.

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6790 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 198 of 278
03 November 2009 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Eumaeus wrote:
It's not an iphone app. I have a very basic ipod and the target language dialogue is displayed on it. It is also quite simple to edit out the exercises in itunes because every sentence is stored as an individual song. Just make sure you buy the mp3 version of the program. I am a klutz when it comes to technology and I managed to negotiate it without any problems.

I have a question on those assimil MP3 versions:
Can one also use them the old way with a book and an audioplayer that pays the whole text as on a CD ?

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5394 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 199 of 278
03 November 2009 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
zorglub, yes you can use them just the same way as you always have. Just slot it into a cd player and listen with the book in hand.
I rarely ever read the screen on my ipod. I much prefer the book.
The reason I like the mp3 version is the ease in which I can edit out the exercises in itunes. Each sentence is recognised as a song and each lesson as an album by itunes. I just click out all the lesson songs, put the album on repeat, stick the speakers in my ears, pick up the book and away I go.

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6790 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 200 of 278
03 November 2009 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Eumaeus wrote:
zorglub, yes you can use them just the same way as you always have. Just slot it into a cd player and listen with the book in hand.
I rarely ever read the screen on my ipod. I much prefer the book.
The reason I like the mp3 version is the ease in which I can edit out the exercises in itunes. Each sentence is recognised as a song and each lesson as an album by itunes. I just click out all the lesson songs, put the album on repeat, stick the speakers in my ears, pick up the book and away I go.

OK, thanks.
My feeling is I learn better the audio way . The old way. Reading and writing comes afterwards and easily. The text only helps me deciphering the audio, but the important parts in my opinion are the "active phase" (where progress acceerates) and shadowing aver and over again and "overshadowing" . I solemny wish to coin overshadowing and enter history ;p)

Overshadowing, according to Zorglub, is shadowing with the addition of new improvised text of one's own in the blanks. Mainly while shadowing the "exercise" part, where blanks allow for it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 278 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version