Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
30 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4988 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 17 of 30
10 October 2010 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Ah, I forgot, and about let's speak Korean, the season number four, has mini drama, so it's a little more advanced (maybe a little too much for beginners).
There are 5 seasons altogether!

1 person has voted this message useful

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6402 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 18 of 30
12 October 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Have you had a look at My Korean (2 vols.) from Monash University? They have the books and audio available on their website.

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5150 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 19 of 30
18 October 2010 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Me too, I have been learning Korean for quite awhile now, but the Korean materials in the market often left me feeling more frustrated than encouraged/pleased, especially those Korean materials that target at Japanese speakers. Actually, there are plenty of Korean learning materials (as a matter of fact, I bought quite a few copies already) that target at Japanese speakers, however, the quality (especially their accompanying CDs) of the materials leaves one feel that they do not really know the meaning of language education.

In the CDs, dialogues (already at beginners' level) are spoken at lightning speed. Furthermore, a list of new Korean words will be spoken each, followed by the Japanese equivalent, once and all at incredibly TGV speed for beginners' level eg. bae-il, mainichi (everyday); achim shiksa, choushoku (breakfast); cholji ansumnida, toukuarimasen (it's not far). Hence, at the end, we have barely just listened to the Korean word spoken by the Korean speaker in the CD, she has already spoken the Japanese word, before we have the chance to speak out loud ourselves the Korean word!

Thank god I discovered a book a few months ago while in Italy for my vacation, which definitely is one of the better books out there in the market to learn Korean. The dialogues recorded in the 2 CDs are more appropriate for beginners (I would even say that, it succeeds/understands more what language education is about).

corsa di lingua Italiana, www.hoepli.it, developed by the professors at the Universita degli Studi Sapienza di Roma.     

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 18 October 2010 at 11:05am

theallstar
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5612 days ago

81 posts - 85 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 20 of 30
22 October 2010 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
How about online dictionaries? Whilst there are an abundance of good Japanese dictionaries online I've never been able to find anything decent for Korean (I'm thinking along the lines of jisho.org).

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5459 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 21 of 30
22 October 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Naver, Daum, and Yahoo Korea have online dictionaries. If you want hanja, they have them, but I don't know much about how they're represented on the sites since I haven't studied hanja.

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5385 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 22 of 30
01 February 2011 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/korean/klec/textbooks.php

Manash University has a free Korean textbook AND audio! Looks very well done.
4 persons have voted this message useful

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6104 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 23 of 30
01 February 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Po-ru wrote:
I have recently been really upset with the lack of overall quality material available for Korean. I am really suffering in the listening department and need more listening practice as well as grammatical explanations and I am really not sure where to get it.

Uh, you're kidding, right?

There are massive amounts of stuff available now. The newer textbooks generally include CDs, there are electronic dictionaries, there are dictionaries available for iPods touches/iPhones, there are on-line resources. Heck, you can even get a plug in dictionary for your web browser. For FREE!

Korean is a challenging language if your native language is English and you don't speak any other Asian languages. The resources available now are superb and can ease the pain.

Now if I could just spend less time watching Battlestar Galactica and more time studying, I'd be set.
3 persons have voted this message useful

russellballard
Tetraglot
China
Joined 4944 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 24 of 30
09 February 2011 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
if you want to improve your listening, try going onto www.mysoju.com , they have tons of korean dramas and
movies (as well as chinese and japanese), all with well translated subtitles. I find that watching tons of TV helps me
out immensely, plus you don't feel as bad about watching TV if it is also improving your language skills!

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version