United States
Joined 6360 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 25 of 30
10 February 2011 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
russellballard wrote:
if you want to improve your listening, try going onto www.mysoju.com , they have tons of
korean dramas and
movies (as well as chinese and japanese), all with well translated subtitles. I find that watching tons of TV helps me
out immensely, plus you don't feel as bad about watching TV if it is also improving your language skills!

Do they have Korean subtitles too? That would be key for most learners.
1 person has voted this message useful

russellballard
Tetraglot
China
Joined 4944 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 26 of 30
10 February 2011 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
I've never watched the korean ones to be honest, I would assume no since korean is phonetic and lacks the regional
discrepancies that necessitates subtitles on chinese TV most of the time. Though there has to be some website out
there with korean subtitles for the hearing impaired

Ponape
Pentaglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5772 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Greek, Basque, Swahili, Tagalog, Arabic (classical), Quechua, Vietnamese, Turkish, Korean, Serbo-Croatian, Hindi

Message 27 of 30
10 February 2011 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
My favourite materials so far are "Basic Korean" and "Intermediate Korean" by Routledge (I didn't check is somebody has mentioned them before). You need to learn Hangul well because no transliterations are given (only the Korean alphabet). But I really liked those two books.

Edited by Ponape on 10 February 2011 at 10:48pm

Balliballi
Groupie
Korea, SouthRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4502 days ago

70 posts - 115 votes 
Studies: Korean

Message 28 of 30
21 January 2012 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
"Korean Grammar in Use" has an excellent CD. If you want to slow it down, you can do so on your Android smart phone or use Audacity (I use a mac so I don't know about PCs).

Also the Essential series has got many mp3s. There is the Essential Everyday Korean and the Essential Business Korean. The books are really quite good but not really for beginners. I like how they give the literal translations with the word order the same as in Korean as well as the tidied more colloquial translations under the Hangeul sentence.

Then there are online mp3s you can buy from Audiobooks and Amazon. Just search for them and you will find them. You can download free samples too I think. I bought a set of them but haven't listened to them yet.

Another thing that you can do is pay a Korean person to read some Korean sentences from a book. You record them speaking and you practise later on with the recordings.

The advantage of this is that you can choose the material you want them to read. I chose stuff that had already been translated so I knew what they were saying in Korean. Also, I could ask the person to read at the pace I wanted them to or slow them down when they were reading too fast.

I plan to do a lot more of this later when I get stuck into speaking.

I was just paying $10 an hour for the person (I was living in Korea back then so that was why the fee was cheap - there were a lot of people who were eager to do this job) and in the hour, a lot of reading out aloud can be done.

You might have to pay more if you live outside of Korea and it might be hard to find a Korean person who is willing to do this.

There are many books for beginners learning Korean conversation that have CDs. The problem is that they all have the same topics - going shopping, greeting a friend, answering the phone - it gets boring after a while.

That's why I got people to read material I chose. I could select all kinds of reading material.

vientito
Canada
Joined 6148 days ago

212 posts - 281 votes 

Message 29 of 30
28 January 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
It would be hard but I still think watching shows in Korean IS the way to build good listening skills and improves pronounication. Also, repetitive occurrence of new words and terms will reinforce memorization of vocabulary. Of course, since we are dealing with lively materials you can be sure words you learn are current and not out-dated as in books and DVDs. Also, people also need to keep in mind that watching natives do things subconsciouly helps us better understand their culture of seeing and doing things.

What I did in the past was to record conversation in shows and run through by a few koreans to discover things that I could not hear and understand well. In the process I start coming through a lot more slangs and interesting words that you could hardly find in contemporary study materials. To be able to add a bit of that in your own conversation with koreans usually elicits smiles and occasional laughters, since they really don't expect a foreigner to have that sort of insider's info.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6247 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 30 of 30
02 February 2012 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
The "Integrated Korean" series is decent. On par with or better than "Elementary Korean." I will go so far as to say those two are the best materials I have ever used or seen.

I agree that Teach Yourself Korean is worthless. Colloquial Korean was just as bad if not worse.

Edited by IronFist on 02 February 2012 at 2:30am

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version